MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BU just permanently cancelled their online EMPH program (starting Summer 2022) and are moving to an edX style program (in 2023). They don't have curriculum set or many details on this new program yet. Fingers crossed for an application fee refund, since I already applied/was in review.

Edit: BU said no refund talk to SOPHAS. SOPHAS said no refund talk to BU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
BU just permanently cancelled their online EMPH program (starting Summer 2022) and are moving to an edX style program (in 2023). They don't have curriculum set or many details on this new program yet. Fingers crossed for an application fee refund, since I already applied/was in review.
I just got that email also, kind of disappointed but it was also one of the more expensive programs. I agree though and hope we get a refund.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation from UCLA about receiving their app? They are the only school I have not heard back from receiving anything.
I did. They didn't give access to a portal or anything, but they said they received both my SOPHAS and UCLA application. This was ~4 days after my application was verified on Nov 18. They also just sent me a holiday card email saying their office is closing from tomorrow until Jan 3, so I would email them ASAP if you're worried they didn't receive your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got that email also, kind of disappointed but it was also one of the more expensive programs. I agree though and hope we get a refund.
Yes, it is a more expensive program but it always sounded like they gave fairly decent financial aid packages to a large majority of the students. I just edited my post but I reached out to BU and they told me talk to SOPHAS. SOPHAS said talk to BU. So I'm not sure. Maybe you or someone else will have better luck?

Last edited:
how do you know if your application has been sent for review or not? when reading through last years thread, people seemed to be able to see when the university began to review their application and I haven't gotten anything like that this year

how do you know if your application has been sent for review or not? when reading through last years thread, people seemed to be able to see when the university began to review their application and I haven't gotten anything like that this year
I've received emails from USF and Dartmouth confirming that they have started reviewing my application, but I also applied to UVA and GW and haven't heard from either of them.

Is anyone applying to SDSU's online MPH in epi program? Is it a newer program? I'm sort of interested but can't find much info online. It looks like pretty much the same classes as for their on-campus epi?

I did. They didn't give access to a portal or anything, but they said they received both my SOPHAS and UCLA application. This was ~4 days after my application was verified on Nov 18. They also just sent me a holiday card email saying their office is closing from tomorrow until Jan 3, so I would email them ASAP if you're worried they didn't receive your app.
Thanks! I tried contacting them and the student affairs person just told me she can't tell me anything about my application and that anyone who can tell me is on vacation? I guess I won't know until they reopen....sad

Hello! Any thoughts on my chances would be greatly appreciated. Also please lmk if you are potentially attending either of these schools!

Undergraduate School/School type: public Big Ten R1 university in the Midwest
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.83
Major/minor:
forensic science major, political science and chemistry minors
Grad GPA (if applicable):
N/A
Grad studies (if applicable):
N/A
GRE(including date taken):
163 Verbal (92nd %ile), 157 Quant (62nd %ile), 4.5 Writing (80th %ile) taken 04/19

Experience/research:
-1.5 years in various positions at a healthcare market research company (contact tracing, interviewer for various patient experience and government health care surveys, mentoring and training new hires)
-20 months volunteering to lead and plan worship services with people with disabilities
-9 months medical assistant for nonprofit pediatrician’s clinic (full time volunteer corps position)
-Two summers (6 months total) of first aid and medication administration for campers, staff, and guests at an overnight summer camp
-Wrote senior honors program thesis analyzing Medicaid work requirement proposals
-5 months internship at a local nonprofit working on healthcare access and economic justice issues
-3 years on and off tutoring for student athletes and honors program students
-5 months data entry internship for local nonprofit
-3 months office assistant for college information & technology department
-Extracurricular involvement: student government, political club, church group, forensic science club, university honors program, summer study abroad in Prague, Czechia

Letters of Rec:
-Political science professor who supervised my honors program thesis project
-Forensic science professor I had for all four years
-Supervisor at summer camp job for two summers (RN)

Interests: health policy, intersection of policy and politics, health communication and politics, child health, women’s health, access to care, primary care improvement

Applied: University of Minnesota MPH in Public Health Administration and Policy (submitted 11/21); University of Nebraska Medical Center MPH in Public Health Administration and Policy (submitted 11/21)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

I just received admission to University of Michigan Health Behavior and Health Education MPH program! My SOPHAS application was verified on 11/8, and I received confirmation from UM that my application was received and complete on 11/11. Good luck to all the others who have applied!

Reactions: 9 users
I just received admission to University of Michigan Health Behavior and Health Education MPH program! My SOPHAS application was verified on 11/8, and I received confirmation from UM that my application was received and complete on 11/11. Good luck to all the others who have applied!
Congratulations!!! Did they email you or did you have to check Wolverine? Hoping the Epi department pulls through soon too 🤞

Congrats! I just got admission today as well to their Health Management & Policy Executive Masters MHSA program. Application was received on 11/9.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations!!! Did they email you or did you have to check Wolverine? Hoping the Epi department pulls through soon too 🤞
I don't know about the OP, but they sent me an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email, and they said financial aid notice would be coming separately in the next few weeks! Fingers crossed for a decision for you soon!

Had my interview with Dartmouth on 12/16. Got my acceptance letter today!

Reactions: 7 users
Not sure yet, my interview is scheduled for next week so I'll see how it goes. When do you have yours?
I had mine already. It was a standard interview with typical questions like tell me about yourself etc. I asked them why they only interview HMP students and they didn't realize Umich only interviewed applicants for this department- but said that Umich likes to really get to know the students etc. Good luck! I am sure you'll do great

Has anyone applying to Emory been successful in logging into OPUS? I attempted to get my log in information 48 hours past the initial email and am still having trouble. Wondering if it is just me?

I've been trying too but it hasn't worked for me either.
Has anyone applying to Emory been successful in logging into OPUS? I attempted to get my log in information 48 hours past the initial email and am still having trouble. Wondering if it is just me?

Congrats! I just got admission today as well to their Health Management & Policy Executive Masters MHSA program. Application was received on 11/9.
Congrats to you too! Hoping for good scholarships for us both haha

I was able to get on after about 24 hours. I'd probably reach out if you are still having trouble! I made the mistake of copy and pasting in my password to try to get in at first, and the portal does say to type it in and not paste it, not sure if that could be why?

hi! friends who applied to tulane - my sophas app was verified yesterday, but I have not received any email confirming that tulane got my app/access to a portal. Is that something y'all got?

(I applied last year) Most of the schools I applied to sent a "thank you for applying" type of email and if the schools had a supplemental app, submitting SOPHAS triggered an email with a link to submit the supplemental. Hope that helps!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the Harvard scholarship page? I keep getting an error when I submit that says to contact the IT people but it doesn’t say who that is

hey yall, I'm having one of those moments where I've convinced myself I won't be getting in anywhere. would anyone be willing to offer any realistic takes on my chances of getting in anywhere? I'm worried about my lack of work experience and laboratory research opportunities. just overall very stressed and would love any advice.

Undergraduate School/School type: liberal arts school in the south
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.81 (4.0 upper-level)
Major/minor: biology major, environmental studies minor, public health distinction & honors college distinction
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
- au pair teaching english to host kids (4 months)
- intern at public health agency creating factsheets (1 month)
- head tutor at writing center (tutor for 3 years/head for 1)
- intern at a non-profit to aid the homeless (selected as a poverty fellow through my school to do this) (3 months)
- research assistant for professor's sabbatical research (using R and SPSS to analyze data) (6 months)
- full-time athlete, dean's list all semesters, athletic honor roll all semesters, president of bio honor society & secretary of the environmental one

Letters of Rec:
(1) professor (head of biology department)
(2) professor (head of sociology department and head of public health distinction) I am currently working on research with
(3) supervisor at the writing center where I tutor english/writing

Interests: impacts of climate change on transmission and spread of vector-borne diseases in SE Asia

Applied: columbia - epi (11/27), umich - global health epi (11/28), colorado - global health epi (11/27), unc - global health (11/28), u florida - epi (11/29), ut health - epi (11/27), national taiwan university - ms global health (10/11), tulane - mph&tm (12/16)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:
Don't question yourself! You did well academically, so all that's left is your essays and letters of recommendation. I assume you selected the schools based on your interests and perceived fit, so as long as you put in your best application (clearly outlining your career goals with strong LORs), all you can do is wait and see. As someone else has mentioned, it looks like you have a good mix of schools on your list. I'm sure admissions will be selective this year too given that public health is currently on a hot streak. Just remember, if you don't get into the school of your dreams, you'll still be able to achieve a lot at another school -- it's what you make of your experience. If you decide you want to try again next year, that means you have a whole year to gain some work experience and strengthen your application, although I highly doubt you'll be rejected from every school on your list. The waiting game is tough, but hang in there!

hi! friends who applied to tulane - my sophas app was verified yesterday, but I have not received any email confirming that tulane got my app/access to a portal. Is that something y'all got?
I got an email from tulane four days after getting verified confirming that they received my application and that it was complete. I didn't get any portal access until I got an email saying they had reviewed my application and they gave me login information to see what the admission decision was.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the Harvard scholarship page? I keep getting an error when I submit that says to contact the IT people but it doesn’t say who that is
I'm not applying to Harvard but I work there. The IT email is [email protected] or (617) 495-7777. We're on break starting today after working hours until January 3, but I have a feeling someone in IT will be on call.

Had my interview with Dartmouth on 12/16. Got my acceptance letter today!
I had my Dartmouth interview 12/15 and haven’t received my decision yet :( (7pm EDT) they said they were going to send decisions for those who interviewed this week before saturday.

Dartmouth told me to look out for my admissions decision before they go on break this Saturday and now it’s 7pm EDT on Friday 😭. Advice please :(

Update: I called them earlier to confirm if my information was incorrect and it actually was. They fixed it and I just got access to the site. So my advice, like @hwagon suggested, is just to call them!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on all of your acceptances!! Will you get a few weeks to mull over your decisions, or do enrollment deposits have to be completed soon?
Thank you very much!! The only program that has given me a deadline for my enrollment deposit was Temple, and they only gave me 3 weeks. I am likely going to ask for an extension because I do not feel ready yet to make a decision. Best of luck to you :)

Feeling really anxious and stressed about admissions right now if anyone could help reassure me or give me a reality check :( I'm also worried about having worse chances because I'm not from the US. Yale and UMich are my dream schools but I don't know if they were too much of a reach because of my GPA

Undergraduate School/School type: Top 3 Canadian University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.16/3.64 (SOPHAS verified) ._.
Major/minor:
Sociology/Public Health

Experience/research:

- 2 publications
- 2 conferences
- Completed Honours thesis last year (quantitative)
- Writing another thesis this year through a self study program in the sociology department (quantitative)
- 4+ months RA on a community-based study about rural health and climate change
- 6+ months RA on community-based study on people who use substances and income generation
- 4 months RA developing equity based wellbeing interventions and programming for students
- 8 months as the research lead creating mental health education resources for a campus mental health group (volunteer role)
- 7 months RA researching academic freedom
- 4 months volunteering leading digital literacy workshops for Chinese seniors in the community
- 8+ months as a peer health educator on campus
- 1 year as a VP in my sorority
- 2 years as an orientation leader

Letters of Rec:
-
Honours thesis supervisor (taken 2 classes with him)
- Current thesis supervisor (took statistics and another sociology class with her)
- PI of the study I am working for (also took two of her classes last year)

Interests:
Health inequalities (race, gender, immigration), social determinants of health, mental health, substance use harm reduction, maternal and child health, climate change and health, domestic violence as a public health issue

Applied:
Yale (11/3), UMich (10/25), Brown (10/8), 4 other Canadian universities
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Has anyone that applied to Brown received a confirmation/acknowledgement yet?

Has anyone that applied to Brown received a confirmation/acknowledgement yet?
Hi! I applied to Brown's MPH program in early October, did not get a confirmation email from them, so I emailed them on October 11, asking them if they had received my application. They emailed me back in a few days saying that they have received my verified application and that I should hear back from them sometime in February. The way they got to me was not through an automated "application confirmation" email, it was someone from the department. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Once again, I'm here to answer any questions folks may have about GW (Health Policy specifically but I can answer general MPH questions too). I'm a 2nd year student right now!

You can reply here or message me.

Was just accepted into the global health program at UNC!

Reactions: 14 users
Just got into the Community Health Sciences program at UIC!!

Reactions: 12 users
Once again, I'm here to answer any questions folks may have about GW (Health Policy specifically but I can answer general MPH questions too). I'm a 2nd year student right now!

Is this similar to their MHA program? Sounds similar bc of health policy

How do you like GW? I just got into their epi program! I would hope to keep working full time but its across the country from me so would also need to find a new job (unless my current one goes remote). But the program seems great in terms of flexibility, location, ability to be part or full time, etc. Do you know if its doable to do the program full time and also work full time?

How do you like GW? I just got into their epi program! I would hope to keep working full time but its across the country from me so would also need to find a new job (unless my current one goes remote). But the program seems great in terms of flexibility, location, ability to be part or full time, etc. Do you know if its doable to do the program full time and also work full time?
I am not a GW student but I know during an admissions information session they said a lot of people do work full time because a majority of classes are in the afternoons/evenings!

does dartmouth interview for online MPH? or are all interviews for on campus only. thanks

Hello all! I’m an applicant from Australia. I have no idea about my chance of getting into MPH program.

Undergraduate School/School type: Australia Top Uni
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: WES 3.92/4
Major/minor: Nursing

Experience/research:
No undergraduate research experience
2 years of hospital nursing experience
2.5 years of experience working in clinical trials:
1 year experience as Clinical Research Nurse
1 year experience as Senior Research Coordinator
Currently working as a Clinical Research Associate at a Top global CRO and monitor clinical trials for multiple sites in Australia

Letters of Rec:
1 Lecturer from Uni
1 Medical Director
1 Investigator (Doctor, Clinical Trial)

Interests:
MPH Healthcare Management

Applied: UCL (Biotech and Pharma Management), Harvard, Columbia, Yale, UPenn
Accepted: UCL
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

I know my weakness is quantitative experience. I did research units in Undergrad that taught quantitative foundation. I also manage a large number of clinical trial data at work. I’d be appreciative if someone could give me some idea about my chance. Thank you :)

I got into GW's health policy program, although I didn't end up attending. A lot of the chatter last year with accepted students was around the ability to work part/full time while in GW's full time program. Like someone else also responded, a lot of classes are late afternoon/evenings. If I remember correctly, NYU is similar -- there's options for classes later in the day so it's helpful for students who want to work. Definitely join GW's admitted student Zoom sessions when they start sending invites out.

got my first rejection so figured now was a good of a time as any to make my post!

Undergraduate School/School type: big private research university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.10/3.55
Major/minor: Health Sciences

Experience/research:
- 1 year as a research intern at an immunology lab
- 2 years and continuing as a research intern at an epidemiology lab (focus on maternal health and IDD); use R extensively here and second author in publication
- 3 years and continuing as a patient services volunteer and working with patients in case management
- summer internship at big pharma company in research and writing
- senior year internship with national nonprofit against sexual assault
- on board of nonprofit dedicated to sexual health education + creating module for training on sexual assault awareness
- founded org that assists sa survivors and have helped survivors with advocacy and legal support, led demonstration that changed University policies on sexual assault, invited to speak at White House for work (3 years and counting)
- legislative position in student government and helped pass resolution on sexual assault advocacy
- just graduated and going to begin volunteer work for nonprofit focused on legislative advocacy while taking some classes

Letters of Rec:
1 Professor who I’ve taken three classes with and is why I want an MPH
1 Professor who I’ve taken 2 classes with and love the coursework
1 PI from epidemiology lab

Interests:
Health policy, socio medical sciences, maternal health, sexual assault policy

Applied: Columbia (12/1), UNC (12/1), UWash (12/1), GWU (12/4), Harvard (12/3), UMich (12/1), Brown (12/07), UCLA (12/1), BU (12/05), Hopkins (12/07)
Accepted: UNC (01/13), Columbia (01/27), GWU (02/03, $)
Rejected: UMich (12/21), UCLA (01/26), Harvard (02/22)
Waitlisted: Dartmouth (01/07, did interview 01/05)
Attending:

i know it’s super top heavy but these are where my rec writers all suggested - any thoughts / should i add some safeties bc my gpa is low? i also have an IA so it is an uphill battle! any help is wonderful and good luck to you all! :’)

Last edited:
Awesome question! I am in school part time but working full time. I think there are students who do full time for both, but it's really tough. Full time is 9+ credits (probably 4-ish classes) which is really hard to do with a full time job. The majority of my classes have started at 4pm or later, but there may be required Epi classes that have a 2pm start, for example, which is tough with a job.

There are a lot of students who go part time and take 1 or 2 extra semesters to finish the program. I do have one friend who started with full time school and almost full time work (30 hours a week) and she ended up leaving her job for a different one with less hours after one semester.

Is this similar to their MHA program? Sounds similar bc of health policy
The MHA program is very different. It's designed to take 3 years (including 1 year of internship) while the MPH is designed to be done in 2 school years (5 semesters) if you go full time. MHA students have the option to take many MPH policy courses as electives, but the programs are structured very differently and they have completely different core courses.

Last edited:
Hello all! I’m an applicant from Australia. I have no idea about my chance of getting into MPH program.

Undergraduate School/School type: Australia Top Uni
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: WES 3.92/4
Major/minor: Nursing

Experience/research:
No undergraduate research experience
2 years of hospital nursing experience
2.5 years of experience working in clinical trials:
1 year experience as Clinical Research Nurse
1 year experience as Senior Research Coordinator
Currently working as a Clinical Research Associate at a Top global CRO and monitor clinical trials for multiple sites in Australia

Letters of Rec:
1 Lecturer from Uni
1 Medical Director
1 Investigator (Doctor, Clinical Trial)

Interests:
MPH Healthcare Management

Applied: UCL (Biotech and Pharma Management), Harvard, Columbia, Yale, UPenn
Accepted: UCL
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

I know my weakness is quantitative experience. I did research units in Undergrad that taught quantitative foundation. I also manage a large number of clinical trial data at work. I’d be appreciative if someone could give me some idea about my chance. Thank you :)
Hi! First year MPH student here and I'm not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt...I think you have a stellar academic record and great experience that relates well to what you want to do (healthcare management). I commend healthcare professionals that are also getting an MPH degree! Funny enough, I took classes on clinical trial management that shaped my decision to pursue the health policy concentration. If you already submitted, I wouldn't stress -- congratulations on getting through the tough part, even though the hardest part is waiting for results. Anyhow, some classes you'll probably be taking are healthcare economics, financial management, grant writing/public funding, HR management, administration law, etc. If you're still working on your applications, I would look at the healthcare management concentration for each school you're applying to so you can see what some of the courses are; then you can speak to how your interests align with the program or why you're interested in the program (i.e. because you're interested in taking x and y courses). Give strong examples of how your experience will be an asset to the program, how your experiences have shaped you/your interests in public health, and what you want to do with your degree after graduation (you probably already know this haha). I don't know how schools approach admitting international students, but there are quite a few in every large program...in my concentration, we have a couple from Africa and several from Asia that I know of.

Hello! I am sharing these documents that have been passed down from previous applicants. I take no credit for these documents and am simply sharing. Good luck, all!

2020 and 2021 Cycle Results
Contains stats, accepted dates, work experience, school lists, final school decisions, and more from the last two cycles. Special thanks to @livp for finding this previously-lost spreadsheet. :soexcited:

Student Experiences
Also contains stats, school lists, and other useful information of applicants from additional previous cycles.

Public Health Programs - Thoughts
A smorgasboard of school-specific notes from previous applicants.
Hey everyone, I just added a 2022 tab to the 2020 and 2021 Cycle Results spreadsheet if you want to fill in your info there!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody that applied to UIC recently heard back yet? I applied 11/30 but have not heard anything about them receiving my application yet.

Just got into GW for global health program design, monitoring and evaluation!

Reactions: 8 users
Has anybody that applied to UIC recently heard back yet? I applied 11/30 but have not heard anything about them receiving my application yet.
I heard back yesterday from the community health sciences department and I applied on the same day as you. You should hear back soon though!