This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pppod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering my chances of getting accepted in medical school?
Currently I am working on a masters in Biomedical Engineering and doing well (hope to graduate with at least a 3.8 GPA). However my undergraduate gpa (same major) was not as a good, a 3.25. I was wondering if I finished strong with my masters will that make up for low undergrad considering I do well on the MCAT and have necessary ECs?

If med school is no go, I am hoping to get into a DO program or maybe even go to pod school.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone says graduate degrees don't really make up for a low undergrad. That's likely because you're pretty much expected to do very well in most graduate programs. A good MCAT could put you int he running for DO schools though.

Reactions: 1 users
What's your sGPA? I think you could have a shot at least with your state MD schools if you get 515+ on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratz on the upward trend!

MD may be in your pockets if you have overall good stats.

DO should like you.

Pods should love you.

Thanks for responses everyone! I'm glad to hear I still have a shot. But my ECs are kind of weak for med school, I have a couple research positions I have done with some professors throughout undergrad but I haven't had any scribing or volunteering or even shadowed a doc a yet. Is there a shot I can improve my application within a year, what are typically amount of hours those who got accepted have put into these activties? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Thanks for responses everyone! I'm glad to hear I still have a shot. But my ECs are kind of weak for med school, I have a couple research positions I have done with some professors throughout undergrad but I haven't had any scribing or volunteering or even shadowed a doc a yet. Is there a shot I can improve my application within a year, what are typically amount of hours those who got accepted have put into these activties? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Shadow immediately. It's really easy and does not require a lot of hours. Do it during spring break. A lot of non trad applicants are applying with 1000's of clinical hours. You can get that easily with any full time job like scribing/MA/CNA. And you need to start volunteering with an underserved population ASAP (whether mentoring kids, teaching ESL at adult education centers, or working front desk at a free clinic).