MS in nutrition before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizhang723

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a 2nd time applicant. I was not being accepted into dental school last time becasue of a semester withdrew( 8 W on my transcript). Right now I am applying to dental school again. This morning I just received an offer from Boston University , it's a MS in nutrition and metabolism. Will that master boost my chance of getting into dental school? I am worrying about wasting money since I am also applying to 16 dental school this time. Shall I take the offer??( they only offer a 5000$ scholarships )

Members don't see this ad.

No, it won't help you much. The two programs aren't even remotely synonymous. Why not do a post-bac or SMP in order to make up for those 8 Ws? You should retake those courses you withdrew from if you haven't already.

if you to do master's I'd do nutrition before a lot of other things. I love nutrition though and I really think they don't teach it enough in dental/med school. but it'd be for a GPA boost that i would do it before dental school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest a biomedical sciences-based masters program. That way you can demonstrate your ability to succeed in traditionally challenging courses that you will see in dental school as well.

I would suggest a biomedical sciences-based masters program. That way you can demonstrate your ability to succeed in traditionally challenging courses that you will see in dental school as well.

This. At the end of the day, D schools just want to know if you'll succeed in dental school.

However, an alternative argument would be to say that you want to be a more well rounded health care provider for your patients, since nutrition is such a huge component of oral health...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most schools will want to see a post-bacc or master in biomedical sciences to see that you're prepared for the rigors of dental school. Nutrition is important but I wouldn't bother with it.

You trying to work at your local gym as the go-to nutritionist guy or become a dentist? I don't understand where you're headed with this thread.

Reactions: 1 user