MS4 Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on another away elective for the coming year. I can't do another month of anesthesia due to school policy. I was thinking of possibly doing pain medicine. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was hoping to do something that would be fairly fun, yet not too taxing. Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Duckie24 said:
I'm trying to decide on another away elective for the coming year. I can't do another month of anesthesia due to school policy. I was thinking of possibly doing pain medicine. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was hoping to do something that would be fairly fun, yet not too taxing. Thanks for any input.

Dermatology?

The advice I always give is to do something you won't have the chance to do again, especially if it gives you a broader education. Derm or sports medicine are great options. Regardless of your specialty, your neighbor is going to ask you about the spot on his shoulder or his kid's ankle when it gets sprained. Forensic pathology is another option--not quite as applicable, but definately unique.

Members don't see this ad :)
the hospital i was trying to do an OR anesthesia elective was full, they offered me CCU, peds anes, or OB anes. Does it necessarily matter as long as I get exposure in the department? Would a strong showing in a critical care elective look better to anesthesiology residency programs another anes. specialty?

pulm
cards (hang out in the interventional suite, learn about stress tests, echo good stuff)
CCU/SIT (its not taxing for a fourth year, the residents do all the scut, you do all the learning)
rads (kick it in the interventional suite)

How about infectious diseases? Always useful info to know. I second the suggestion to do something you won't have the chance to do again.

I've often wished I'd done a radiology rotation to be better at looking at films.

Besides an anesthesia rotation, which 3 or 4 would be the most useful?

Cardiology
Pulmonology
Renal
ICU
EM

If you are doing an away to check out a program you may be interested in, I would stay within their dept. of anes. SICU might fall under the "taxing" category, but Pain rotations are usually laid back and still allow you to meet the residents/faculty. OB may be a bit more work, but if the residents are laid back and let you do epidurals etc it would be fun.

If you are doing the away just for fun - cards, pulm and all the other stuff recommended above sounds great.

Besides an anesthesia rotation, which 3 or 4 would be the most useful?

Cardiology
Pulmonology
Renal
ICU
EM

I think everyone will agree that an ICU rotation will be helpful...anything where you get some vent. management would be good. I also think EM is a must. You'll be doing EM during your intern your, so why not get ready for it? Other than that, any of those would be helpful to you. I think I would choose something that might be a little lighter schedule for the end of your 4th year (where you can still learn a few things).