Murdoch and/or Massey students from US...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BVSc2016Hopeful

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who brought a pet with you, how did you go about arranging their flight? Did you do it through a service? Cargo? On the same flight that you were on?
 
Most people I know used a service. Most of their animals came a fair bit after they did - don't forget they've got to spend atleast 6 weeks in quarrantine when they get here, so waiting a few days for them to get here isnt going to make that much of a difference 🙂
 
You pretty much need to use a pet transport service (avoid using IPTLAX!, long story). You can do some of the legwork yourself in conjunction with the service to possibly save some money (lab work, exams at a clinic you work at, etc) but since there are only a few airlines that do long-haul transport of animals it is best to leave transport arrangements to the people who do it all the time. Because only a few airlines do this, it also means that it is probably unlikely you will be able to get them on the same flight as you are taking (and does it really matter that much anyway?),
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you recommend a service? I would ship him out of LAX, if that makes a difference.

ETA - as of now, it's only 30 days in quarantine now as long as all the titers, microchip, etc. YAY! My poor boy is NOT going to be happy with me, seeing as you are only allowed to visit 3 days a week, and until I get a car, I don't know if I'll be able to see him at all.
 
Last edited:
I think I am going with Jetpets for the probably return flight for my cat. Had a couple people use them on the way over (from canada) and don't recall any complaints 😉

Above that call around and have a search on the forums here, I know there's been a few discussions about pet transport.
 
Thanks!

I guess my only other question is -- Did you have time after you got accepted to school to do the vax/titer/microchip process before you had to leave? Or did you leave your pet with a friend or family member (or a service) and they arrived after you? For Murdoch (as far as I can tell from their website) they evaluate applications as late as November for a Feb start. That certainly wouldn't give you enough time to get the titers done before you had to leave...
 
Last edited:
I left my pet in the states with my parents 😉

Due to an issue with the aforementioned LA-based pet transport service two of my friends had to 'quarantine' their dog in a boarding kennel for several months in FL because it was cheaper than quarantine for several months over here. So the animals arrived after them. The downside to that was that they had to have a friend drive over and pick them up to get all the exams/vacc/labs performed.

With application to Murdoch, yes they are rolling apps so it is best that you start applying now. If you don't get accepted first round, they will roll your application over to the next rounds. November/Dec notice I'm fairly certain barely provides you time to get yourself sorted let alone pets (that close of a timeline may actually prevent it from being possible)
 
Can you update your application after you submit it before it rolls over? I will be taking some classes this summer, and would like to be able to include them once I am done. But I do plan on submitting what I have now to Murdoch, Melbourne and Massey, and we'll see where we are.

Do you have any info on the Vet Entry program at Murdoch?
 
Is quarantining pets in the states an option before moving to Australia? My pets are nearly ready to go so they would only have the one month min quarantine. Would it be possible to quarantine them, move, and then not have to quarantine them at all in Australia???

Due to an issue with the aforementioned LA-based pet transport service two of my friends had to 'quarantine' their dog in a boarding kennel for several months in FL because it was cheaper than quarantine for several months over here. So the animals arrived after them. The downside to that was that they had to have a friend drive over and pick them up to get all the exams/vacc/labs performed.