My chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you all with the same questions over and over. I am just wondering how many programs I should apply to with my stats? Is 40 the "magic number"? What are my chances of matching?

Step1: 235 Step2: 233 Step3:203
AOA
Class Ranking: Upper Fourth
Unknown Med School
Currently I am a Diving Medical Officer in the NAVY
Virginia Medical License
Fluent in both English and Spanish.
I do not have any ophthalmology LOR, or any med school ophthalmology rotations since I decided to become an ophthalmologist during my internship. How can I increase my chances?
I am very interested in training somewhere in the east coast, preferably in the DC area. Any good advice? Thank you for your time. :rolleyes:

DIVEMD

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about the DC programs, but many of the NY programs love spanish/english speakers. Good luck.

Jokestr said:
Don't know about the DC programs, but many of the NY programs love spanish/english speakers. Good luck.

How many applications should I submit? Is >40 the usual trend?

Members don't see this ad :)
sort of hijacking this thread, since this question is related to the 'my chances' question. not sure if you all have seen the new report charting outcomes in the main match...The report can be found at www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf or www.aamc.org/matchoutcomes or through the link posted on the Match Program's home page (nrmp.org). anyway, the match only includes the main match, not the san francisco match for ophtho. what specialty (if any) would you say is the best comparison to ophtho as far as stats/scores/research/etc? just wondering. was excited to see the report but wished it had included ophtho, too. thanks!

brats800 said:
sort of hijacking this thread, since this question is related to the 'my chances' question. not sure if you all have seen the new report charting outcomes in the main match...The report can be found at www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf or www.aamc.org/matchoutcomes or through the link posted on the Match Program's home page (nrmp.org). anyway, the match only includes the main match, not the san francisco match for ophtho. what specialty (if any) would you say is the best comparison to ophtho as far as stats/scores/research/etc? just wondering. was excited to see the report but wished it had included ophtho, too. thanks!

I say Radiology is the most similar one...

DiveMD said:
Sorry to bother you all with the same questions over and over. I am just wondering how many programs I should apply to with my stats? Is 40 the "magic number"? What are my chances of matching?

Step1: 235 Step2: 233 Step3:203
AOA
Class Ranking: Upper Fourth
Unknown Med School
Currently I am a Diving Medical Officer in the NAVY
Virginia Medical License
Fluent in both English and Spanish.
I do not have any ophthalmology LOR, or any med school ophthalmology rotations since I decided to become an ophthalmologist during my internship. How can I increase my chances?
I am very interested in training somewhere in the east coast, preferably in the DC area. Any good advice? Thank you for your time. :rolleyes:

DIVEMD

Are you planning to apply to the Navy Ophthalmology training program too? This is an OUTSTANDING training program. Residents start surgery during the first year and are primary for most cases because there are no fellows.

You NEED to get an ophthalmology LOR by doing a rotation or getting involved with ophthalmology. I'm wondering if the Navy will let you spend some time in San Diego or at a civilian program to do a month of ophthalmology? Not having a letter will be your biggest disadvantage.