This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bucopharynx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to make this super short and sweet!

I've spent more time than I'd love to admit 'researching' prep/review books and courses. At the end still coming to the basic fact that the MCAT tests three core concepts; which we all already know:

1. Foundation Concepts,
2. Content, and
3. Scientific inquiry and Reasoning skills.

At this point, your review regime should be more comprehensive rather than exhaustive . As you can see from the three levels above, that Level 3>Level2>Level1. This implies that ,

1. Assumption is made that you already have the basic science foundation required from your UG; hence don't put all your effort learning foundations now, thats why you won't find many MCAT question asking you a direct foundation question. (SKILL 1).

2. Again, content categories should be comprehensive rather than exhaustive. I will explain what I mean in a bit. (SKILL 2)

3. This is where the MEAT of the MCAT lies, (SKILL 3) ,which is why the MCAT is more about reasoning through the passage, extrapolating data, putting pieces and parts together to come up with a thought, than having previous knowledge!

That said, these are the resources I'll be playing with for the next 6 months ( I currently work a full time job , and I'm taking the MCAT, March 31st, 2017 ; which is why I'm taking it slow , but purposeful).

** Khan Academy is my primary content resource, ( Reason- its the only review source that goes hand in hand with ''What's on the MCAT'' section from the AAMC - which should be your daily guide btw) , also from 2. above, it is the most comprehensive content resource out there, and its FREE! Doesn't get better than that!

** Im backing up KA with TPR for content, ( Reason- Im just biased towards TPR, cause I like their free practice exams, and I got the books free from a friend who just annihilated the MCAT, but you can also use Kaplan, TBR, EK etc )

** I ordered the complete AAMC materials , they just got delivered today! yay! cost me <$200. This include :
-The MCAT official guide, this is a must, read it from cover to cover before commencing study!
-The Section Bank--- This is probably the most important item on this page, if you take nothing away from here, remember - dissect and digest the Section Bank, seriously!!
- Two FL Exams, take the unscored first and then take it again before your exam, you have 20 tries with 1 year access.
- Others are optional, question packs, flash cards etc. I got those because I intend to practice, practice and practice, rather than cram contents. That's my overall philosophy!

** Finally, I'm buying 4 FL Exams from Nextstep, practice and review them in the weeks leading up to my Exam.

PS : Take advantage of all the free resources out there guys, especially the diagnostic exams!

Final word! :: As you can see the idea is practice, practice , practice passage based questions , understand the reasoning behind the answers, more important than killing your self with overwhelming contents.

This has been way longer than I intended, my apologies.!Ha! Sometimes, the best things of life are free. See how much this plan costs me?... Think about this for a moment!

I will post my test scores in the future, for those interested! Comments, Ideas , criticism are very welcome! Let me know what can be added or removed from this plan! Shalom !!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
slow and steady... good plan... i'm also using KA and plan on reviewing the whole MCAT content on it. I'm using Kaplan for content and AAMC materials for practice questions... NS for FL exams. Good luck to us. We shall come out prevailing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your plan is rooted in sound logic. I have to 100% agree that a comprehensive review (covering the bulk of the basics) beats an exhaustive review (covering material beyond the scope). Your idea that Level 3 > Level 2 > Level 1 is perfect, because the questions that spread the curve are Level 3. Most people have done Level 1 and Level 2, but need work in Level 3. So your suggestion to make level 3 the focus is exactly right. Where I think you may have a little issue with your plan is that despite recognizing the importance of Level 3 development, you have not incorporated much Level 3 practice into your study plan.

I certainly get wanting to do things as cheaply as possible. And you recognize that AAMC materials are a must and that is an area no one should skimp. The sample questions from AAMC are the best ones you'll use, but the harsh reality is that there just aren't enough of them (counting all of the material they have available). So you need to find more practice in the Level 3 area. Based on a few comments in your post, saving money is important to you, but if you are not prepared for Level 3 questions and you have to repeat the MCAT, then how much money (and time) will you have wasted? You want to do things right the first time. Your plan lacks enough passages and questions in the Level 3 area, so you should address that while it's still early.

Last edited:
I agree, Khan Academy has been the best way to study so far esp. for a visual learner like myself. The videos can get a bit too detailed at times, but hey you can just move on to the next topic when it comes to that point.

I used the CARS practice passages by Khan Academy as my starting step for CARS practice, and feel it helped a lot!