my dog is a special case

Started by evamm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

evamm

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello there,
I usually come to this forum because I am dentist student, but the thing is that my cute pekinese came up with this wierd thing.
SO I decided to post it here if anyone can tell me why this happened and how could this be possible??!!
I have an 18 year old pekinese and one day she was bledding from her vagina .....i was really scared.
I took her to the veterinary and he explained to me that because of her age she might have a tumor. So I took her an ecography and there was no tumor..thank God. so.... then what was wrong with her?? He told me it might be her period( i do not know how to say it in english for dogs)!!! I was like what? About eight years ago she stopped having it and now she has it! How could this be possible? Anyone can tell me what is this? I am worried about her.
Thanks
 
The first question I have to ask is, is she spayed? From what it sounds like, she might not be since she was in heat when she was 8. From the cases that I have seen, abnormal bleeding is a result of an infection in the uterus called pyometra. It is a very serious condition where pus fills up inside the uterus causing it to be fragile and it could rupture inside your dog's body. You can tell pyometra by having an x-ray done. The pus will show up white in the area of her uterus. The cure for pyometra is to have your dog spayed. Given her age they would have to do blood work to determine if she could handle the anesthetic. I suggest you talk to your veterinarian again, or go get a second opinion.
 
If she is in heat (on her period) then there should be other signs besides just bleeding. Her vulva should be enlarged as well. A vet should be able to tell heat bleeding from something that is a serious problem. I would get a second opinion from someone who sounds more sure of a diagnosis.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
THat is true!. HEr vuvla is enlarged too. Yes I will need a second opinion... The vet thought it was Pyometria but she only bleeds nothing else. Thanks for all your help but I am still worried 🙁

HeartSong said:
If she is in heat (on her period) then there should be other signs besides just bleeding. Her vulva should be enlarged as well. A vet should be able to tell heat bleeding from something that is a serious problem. I would get a second opinion from someone who sounds more sure of a diagnosis.
 
She can't have an operation because of her age. She is 18 years old



evamm said:
THat is true!. HEr vuvla is enlarged too. Yes I will need a second opinion... The vet thought it was Pyometria but she only bleeds nothing else. Thanks for all your help but I am still worried 🙁
 
evamm said:
She can't have an operation because of her age. She is 18 years old
Age is not a disease. If she is healthy, even though she is old she should not have problems with anesthesia.
 
The vet told me she could not resist an operation, not even anesthesia.


chris03333 said:
Age is not a disease. If she is healthy, even though she is old she should not have problems with anesthesia.
 
evamm said:
The vet told me she could not resist an operation, not even anesthesia.

Usually vets that refuse to put old dogs under probably believe problems might have arisen at that age such as heart valve problems, kidney damage or liver damage....but honestly so long as the blood work comes back normal the risk should not be much greater for your 18 year old than a 1 year old.

Are you seeing an older veterinarian? They might be used to the old addage that older dogs are at higher risk, but most newer vet I would think would have been trained that age (so long as no other problems exist like with any animal of any age) isn't a big risk going under.
 
I am seeing a young veterinary. I would probably take her to another one. She is not bleeding anymore, so I guess it must have been her period.
she is my baby girl and I hope she does not need an operation 🙂



zufuss said:
Usually vets that refuse to put old dogs under probably believe problems might have arisen at that age such as heart valve problems, kidney damage or liver damage....but honestly so long as the blood work comes back normal the risk should not be much greater for your 18 year old than a 1 year old.

Are you seeing an older veterinarian? They might be used to the old addage that older dogs are at higher risk, but most newer vet I would think would have been trained that age (so long as no other problems exist like with any animal of any age) isn't a big risk going under.