This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunkyfilms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN this is my very first post. I couldn't find an answer anywhere on on the site, but I remember looking up pre-reqs for for medical schools on the school websites and reading that one school did have an exception of some sort for this. I'm currently taking Gen Chem 2 and it includes organic chemistry. Does anyone know whether or not I will still have to take both Orgo 1 & 2 or a higher level chem course? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah you will. The Orgo that's covered in Gen Chem is hella basic and more like an introduction to organic chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're probably thinking of Organic nomenclature, which is standard to include in most introductory chemistry classes. The difference between the Organic you learn in general chemistry, as compared to a traditional Organic class is implied in the name: it's the difference between reading a dictionary and novel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN this is my very first post. I couldn't find an answer anywhere on on the site, but I remember looking up pre-reqs for for medical schools on the school websites and reading that one school did have an exception of some sort for this. I'm currently taking Gen Chem 2 and it includes organic chemistry. Does anyone know whether or not I will still have to take both Orgo 1 & 2 or a higher level chem course? Thanks in advance.
Hi OP, yes you'll still have to take organic chemistry 1 and 2. My general chemistry I class included a little bit of organic as well (basic naming, identifying organic functional groups, etc.).