This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McBloodstreamy10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
So I kinda messed up my MCAT. 506 127/124/128/127. I have already turned in my secondaries to about 15 schools which is now somewhat disappointing. My GPA is at 3.73 with experience volunteering at an oncology unit of a hospital, a free health clinic and a national wildlife refuge. Also, I played soccer collegiately, worked as a scribe, and now work as a research assistant in cardiovascular disease. I have over 750 hours volunteering and 1,000+ hours working as a scribe. I need some honesty. Do I have a shot?

EDIT: only looking at MD programs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
why is the title of the post "my life is a lie" lol

maybe it's not to late to add some DO schools to your list

for MD, what is your state? 506 is low range for MD but I'd say at a handful of schools you do have a shot. according to the table attached, 48% of people with your stats got into an MD school. granted your MCAT is lower range and there is a drop to 35% at the 502-505 MCAT

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

I don't see why you don't have a shot...
Well, your MCAT is low, but you can still manage your school list. Check MSAR.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all,
So I kinda messed up my MCAT. 506 127/124/128/127. I have already turned in my secondaries to about 15 schools which is now somewhat disappointing. My GPA is at 3.73 with experience volunteering at an oncology unit of a hospital, a free health clinic and a national wildlife refuge. Also, I played soccer collegiately, worked as a scribe, and now work as a research assistant in cardiovascular disease. I have over 750 hours volunteering and 1,000+ hours working as a scribe. I need some honesty. Do I have a shot?
Your GPA is okay. Your MCAT is low for MD, but it's possible to get an acceptance from an in-state or low tier out-of-state school. Your numbers are great for DO.

Your GPA is okay. Your MCAT is low for MD, but it's possible to get an acceptance from an in-state or low tier out-of-state school. Your numbers are great for DO.

I apologize; I should've clarified that I'm only attempting to go MD.

Oh, SDN and your hyperbolic thread titles.

Reactions: 2 users
Well if you're only attempting to go MD with a 506 I can say be prepared for disappointment...

Reactions: 1 users
Not applying for DO? Would you give some shots to Caribbean MD schools????????? Your stats is not good for MD, you can manage it somehow but you need to realize it's risky.
I think "a shot" means that chance is not zero, but clearly you have a very low chance.

Not applying for DO? Would you give some shots to Caribbean MD schools????????? Your stats is not good for MD, you can manage it somehow but you need to realize it's risky.
I think "a shot" means that chance is not zero, but clearly you have a very low chance.

Nah, I wouldn't go Caribbean. I understand that my chance is low now. I really messed up that MCAT. Especially with only getting 511s on the practice exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all,

EDIT: only looking at MD programs
I suggest:
Rosy Franklin

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

Loyola

WVU

Rush

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Albany

NYMC

VCU

Tulane

U VM

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. And BTW, beggars can't be choosy.

Nah, I wouldn't go Caribbean. I understand that my chance is low now. I really messed up that MCAT. Especially with only getting 511s on the practice exams.
it looks like you didn't "mess it up," you just did bad on CARS, luckily the most forgiven section..

To be honest, you are no guarantee even for DOs. That CARS score is a red flag, it will probably be a bigger deal to MDs but also make DOs pause. You are not in a position to dictate where you want to go, if you're ultimate goal is to become a physician. I know certain schools have 125 section cut off limits.

To be honest, you are no guarantee even for DOs. That CARS score is a red flag, it will probably be a bigger deal to MDs but also make DOs pause. You are not in a position to dictate where you want to go, if you're ultimate goal is to become a physician. I know certain schools have 125 section cut off limits.

I have heard mixed things about a sub 125 score in CARS.

I have heard mixed things about a sub 125 score in CARS.
Definitely, I think it's a school specific preference. I am just letting you know, you might want to do extra research into the MD schools you're applying to...

it looks like you didn't "mess it up," you just did bad on CARS, luckily the most forgiven section..

I want to ask a question beyond this thread.
I've heard many people said CARS is the most forgiven section. However, will this still be forgiven if CARS is one point below the 10 percentile of CARS score posted on MSAR? I'm assuming applicants with an unbalanced MCAT ~515 but only 125 on CARS.

I want to ask a question beyond this thread.
I've heard many people said CARS is the most forgiven section. However, will this still be forgiven if CARS is one point below the 10 percentile of CARS score posted on MSAR? I'm assuming applicants with an unbalanced MCAT ~515 but only 125 on CARS.
below 10th percentiles is always risky; when I said it's the "most forgiven" i mean statistically it seems like more people get in with a lower CARS score compared to a lower bio or physical score