MD My premature school list. any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuhh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
ORM from New York

cGPA=3.70 from Stony Brook University (in my gap year currently)

sGPA=3.68 from Stony Brook University

1st MCAT=503 (126,124,127,126)

2nd MCAT=522 (132,128,131,131)

Clinical hours=400ish (just got a medical assistant job but couldn't add the planned 2500 hours on my AMCAS)

non clinical hours=300 hours

research= 2 first author posters

the rest of the activities is just the usual, nothing significant.

any top schools or keep it at like Penn state, wake forest, Quinnipiac and my in state schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Penn State, Wake Forest and Quinnipiac since they will yield protect. You could add these schools:
Jefferson
U Virginia
USF Morsani
Washington University
U Chicago
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
Remove Penn State, Wake Forest and Quinnipiac since they will yield protect. You could add these schools:
Jefferson
U Virginia
USF Morsani
Washington University
U Chicago
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Kaiser
Do you really think they will yield protect from me? I am worried about my first MCAT, also my gpa is very average at 3.70/3.68. Also I don't want to apply to like 35 schools because I feel like I just won't handle all those secondaries too well. Also adding Northwestern, UChicago, Virginia worries me because I feel like I already have too many hard schools and not enough "safeties".

But I really appreciate ur quick response! Much love!

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn State has a 90th percentile of 517 and your 522 is far above that. They know you will attend another school. If you do not want to add Northwestern, U Chicago and Virginia then consider the other schools I suggested. Washington University loves high MCAT scores (they also offer interviews to 30% of applicants who complete secondaries). Western Michigan also likes high MCAT applicants. You will like the tuition at Kaiser.

Reactions: 1 users
Penn State has a 90th percentile of 517 and your 522 is far above that. They know you will attend another school. If you do not want to add Northwestern, U Chicago and Virginia then consider the other schools I suggested. Washington University loves high MCAT scores (they also offer interviews to 30% of applicants who complete secondaries). Western Michigan also likes high MCAT applicants. You will like the tuition at Kaiser.
Interesting, you don't think my GPA is holding me back? I'm barely 25th percentile and for some, in between 10-25%tiles

Also, do you know if Dartmouth takes state schools? I heard Ivy League loves to take Ivy League undergrads. Am I just wasting money on applying there, realistically?

Last edited:
Your GPA will not be an issue. That is not true about Ivy League schools other than a preference for their own undergraduates.

Jefferson
U Virginia
USF Morsani
Washington University
U Chicago
Northwestern
Western Michigan
Kaiser
Who ever thought that getting a high MCAT score would be a problem - but as with undergrad, I can imagine some schools do yield protect. Do you know Faha whether the yield protection screening is done by computer? There are some med schools that have a good mission fit and GPA is in the ballpark, but my MCAT is 522 - well above median. Do in-state universities tend to yield protect?

Who ever thought that getting a high MCAT score would be a problem - but as with undergrad, I can imagine some schools do yield protect. Do you know Faha whether the yield protection screening is done by computer? There are some med schools that have a good mission fit and GPA is in the ballpark, but my MCAT is 522 - well above median. Do in-state universities tend to yield protect?
Your instate public schools will not yield protect. I am not certain who does the screening at any one school. Schools yield protect because they know from years of experience that high stat applicants will choose another school.

Reactions: 1 user