This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureDDS93

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I am a first generation native student from a rural area who recently graduated with my B.S. in Cellular and Molecular Biology along with a couple minors. I am currently in the process of applying to dental school but I am extremely worried about my gpa. Long story short, I was unsuccessful at my first undergrad institution and ended up failing and retaking a handful of courses (Not knowing how much it would impact me at this point).

While I ended up transferring and recently graduated with a near 3.0 gpa, my BCP overall gpa is a 2.04 and my Science and Math gpa is a 2.13. I am currently in a summer program/pipeline in which I’m preparing for the DAT with the in-person Kaplan and my practice scores are above ~17. My goal is to be able to score at least above a 21.

My question is really seeking advice from this point as far as what institutions I should be looking at as far as dental school or what post-bac/masters programs I should consider. My extra and co-curricular activities rank pretty high (I was also SGA President). Also, by the time I graduated this year I had ~180 attempted credit hours.

Do you think I should even apply for dental school this cycle? (I will either way but looking for thoughts)

What DDS programs would you suggest I look into?

Do you know of post-bac programs that are better than others? (Currently looking at UC Denver’s)

Would a Master’s program be better?

I also should mention that I was an IHS Scholarship recipient for my senior year of undergrad, which I am still in good standing for as I transition to dental school.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to give, as I feel as if I am navigating most of this on my own.
 
Given that your sGPA is really low, you should strongly consider doing a post-bac or masters. In terms of which you want to do will really depend on you. If you do a masters, you can easily transition into some other professional jobs if dentistry does not work out for you. IF you are really focused on dentistry, then do a structured post-bac program.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do a Masters and try to get at least a 3.7 - 3.8 GPA.
 
Don't apply this cycle. Your BCP GPA is just too low, and it is the most important GPA for ADCOMs. Maybe apply if you had a really strong upward trend for the past year. But even then it would be a long shot.

If you really must apply, maybe just Howard and Meharry since they are URM friendly. After you raise your GPA, aim for private schools with lower average GPAs.

I would recommend a post-bac unless you're feeling really confident. SMPs are pretty difficult.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.