NC State University c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2023 Applicants! This is the Student Services Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and we will do our best to get them answered. You are also encouraged to review admissions requirements at the NC State CVM web site

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
Check out the NC State CVM News feed for an exciting preview of the 2nd annual House Games.

Well, I definitely didn't want to be the first person to have to ask a question on here but here goes. I took organic chemistry 2 at my current institution but I'll need to retake it I'm attempting to do that over the summer, because I do know on your website it said to complete them before the app is submitted in September. My current institution doesn't separate the lab and the class, so basically a four credit class and a zero credit lab. However the university near home that I'm trying to retake it at does them separately so a 3 credit class and a 2 credit lab.

Okay now the actual question, I'm already in the class and lab is full (maybe it will open up maybe not) would it look horrible to take the lab somewhere else or should I just drop the class and try and sign up for the lab and the class elsewhere. Since I'm assuming if I just finished the class before submitting my application would be kicked out due to the lack of lab since it falls under the retake rule. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I know that was long but its a tad bit confusing and the background is necessary, if I wasn't retaking the class I wouldn't be freaking out I'd just take the lab portion in the fall.

Thanks so much in advance.

Well, I definitely didn't want to be the first person to have to ask a question on here but here goes. I took organic chemistry 2 at my current institution but I'll need to retake it I'm attempting to do that over the summer, because I do know on your website it said to complete them before the app is submitted in September. My current institution doesn't separate the lab and the class, so basically a four credit class and a zero credit lab. However the university near home that I'm trying to retake it at does them separately so a 3 credit class and a 2 credit lab.

Okay now the actual question, I'm already in the class and lab is full (maybe it will open up maybe not) would it look horrible to take the lab somewhere else or should I just drop the class and try and sign up for the lab and the class elsewhere. Since I'm assuming if I just finished the class before submitting my application would be kicked out due to the lack of lab since it falls under the retake rule. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I know that was long but its a tad bit confusing and the background is necessary, if I wasn't retaking the class I wouldn't be freaking out I'd just take the lab portion in the fall.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can take two classes, or in your case one class and one lab after the end of the fall semester of the application cycle. It says on the website: "All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester of the application cycle." So basically, you could get away with retaking both the class and the lab in the spring semester, as long as you don't have any other outstanding prerequisites. If you have other outstanding prerequisites (as long as it's just two classes or a lab and a class), you could still retake ochem 2 in the fall and do the remaining course in the spring. If all this is correct, you will not need to take anything at another school (even though I don't think would look bad at all).

Here is the full description regarding the timeline for outstanding prerequisites

"All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester of the application cycle. The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester. Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester immediately preceding matriculation. This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3)."

I am a little confused about the requirements to apply as an in-state resident. I am currently live in North Carolina but at the time the application is due I will not have lived in NC for the 12 month requirement. But when classes begin in 2019 I will have lived in NC for 12+ months.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can take two classes, or in your case one class and one lab after the end of the fall semester of the application cycle. It says on the website: "All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester of the application cycle." So basically, you could get away with retaking both the class and the lab in the spring semester, as long as you don't have any other outstanding prerequisites. If you have other outstanding prerequisites (as long as it's just two classes or a lab and a class), you could still retake ochem 2 in the fall and do the remaining course in the spring. If all this is correct, you will not need to take anything at another school (even though I don't think would look bad at all).

Wow thanks for all that, I was more or less talking about this part from their website. "The “C-” or better grade for prerequisites must be recorded on transcripts received by the application deadline. An applicant may not wait until the fall or spring semesters of the application cycle to repeat a course" Which is why I had the question about the lab in the first place. Since one school counts it as part of the class with zero credits and the other school counts it as a separate entity all together. I guess I'll just try and find another school to take the lab at since you said it wouldn't look bad.

Here is the full description regarding the timeline for outstanding prerequisites

"All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester of the application cycle. The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester. Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester immediately preceding matriculation. This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3)."

Okay I saw this but I was really referring to this portion of the website "The “C-” or better grade for prerequisites must be recorded on transcripts received by the application deadline. An applicant may not wait until the fall or spring semesters of the application cycle to repeat a course". But I realize I would just have to take the lab this summer as well. Definitely just want to confirm taking the Organic class at one school over the summer and the lab at another would not be a bad thing if that's the only way I can get the prereq fulfilled.

I am a little confused about the requirements to apply as an in-state resident. I am currently live in North Carolina but at the time the application is due I will not have lived in NC for the 12 month requirement. But when classes begin in 2019 I will have lived in NC for 12+ months.
The state of North Carolina has transitioned to a central residency determination service (RDS) administered by CFNC. Our understanding is that an applicant will have to have lived in NC for 12 months at the time of application in order to receive a residency certification number (RCN). If judged to be a non-resident, the applicant's decision remains valid for 15 months. After that time period has elapsed, the applicant can submit another RDS application.

You are encouraged to review the FAQ page on the RDS site for additional information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I saw this but I was really referring to this portion of the website "The “C-” or better grade for prerequisites must be recorded on transcripts received by the application deadline. An applicant may not wait until the fall or spring semesters of the application cycle to repeat a course". But I realize I would just have to take the lab this summer as well. Definitely just want to confirm taking the Organic class at one school over the summer and the lab at another would not be a bad thing if that's the only way I can get the prereq fulfilled.
You may take the lecture portion of the course at one school and the lab portion at another if that allows you to meet the admissions requirement.

Is a biochemistry lab required to apply to NCSU CVM? I took a biochemistry course but not a biochem lab. I have graduated undergrad, am taking 2 years off to work, but am applying this cycle. Thanks in advance!

Is a biochemistry lab required to apply to NCSU CVM? I took a biochemistry course but not a biochem lab. I have graduated undergrad, am taking 2 years off to work, but am applying this cycle. Thanks in advance!
It can be completed with or without the lab. Here are the NC State courses that we accept for the prerequisite:

BCH 351 General Biochemistry (4)
or
BCH 451 Principles of Biochemistry (4)

Reactions: 1 user
It can be completed with or without the lab. Here are the NC State courses that we accept for the prerequisite:

BCH 351 General Biochemistry (4)
or
BCH 451 Principles of Biochemistry (4)

Thank you for the reply! Does this mean that if the biochemistry class I took was only 3 credits, I am not eligible to apply to NCS?

Please take the GRE no later than August 15 so that scores reach NC State by the VMCAS deadline.

Friday, June 15, 2018 at 12pm
The Student Services Office is aware of access issues for our supplemental application. Our IT staff is investigating the problem right now and we will update as soon as possible.

We anticipate having the supplemental application ready in the next two weeks.

An update will be posted here.

Thank you for your patience.

Hi there! I'm working on my first application to vet school, and I was hoping to get some advice about the best way to fill out experience descriptions. I feel as though I'm not accurately showing all that I did and saw during my time shadowing, but in order to have good grammar and use technical terms for all the procedures I saw, the 600 characters get used up so quickly. I was hoping to get some advice on how to fill these out most optimally so that the true awesomeness of my experiences can be seen! I hope I can even take some of this advice into my personal statements, since the character counts on those as well are making it hard to be unique and delve into my thoughts and beliefs. Thank you so much for your help! This is my absolute dream vet school and I'm so excited!

Hi there! I'm working on my first application to vet school, and I was hoping to get some advice about the best way to fill out experience descriptions. I feel as though I'm not accurately showing all that I did and saw during my time shadowing, but in order to have good grammar and use technical terms for all the procedures I saw, the 600 characters get used up so quickly. I was hoping to get some advice on how to fill these out most optimally so that the true awesomeness of my experiences can be seen! I hope I can even take some of this advice into my personal statements, since the character counts on those as well are making it hard to be unique and delve into my thoughts and beliefs. Thank you so much for your help! This is my absolute dream vet school and I'm so excited!
The best advice is to use succinct language and offer the committee sound reasoning for the course of action you've taken in the road to preparing for veterinary school admissions.

We anticipate having the supplemental application ready in the next two weeks.

An update will be posted here.

Thank you for your patience.

We are still experiencing challenges with the payment tool for the supplemental application.

An update will posted here.

Hello,

I have over 7000 veterinary research hours working as a scientist under PhD Researchers and Veterinarians. I know these are defined as veterinary hours on the NCSU CVM website and will suffice the required hours, but will not having a wide variety of other animal experiences hurt my application? From most of the forums I am reading, a much less experienced but more diverse background can sometimes be preferred over a highly experience, concentrated one.

I feel I otherwise have a strong application with very high GRE scores (166 Quantitative, 156 Verbal), great LORs, and an averagish GPA.

Hello,

I have over 7000 veterinary research hours working as a scientist under PhD Researchers and Veterinarians. I know these are defined as veterinary hours on the NCSU CVM website and will suffice the required hours, but will not having a wide variety of other animal experiences hurt my application? From most of the forums I am reading, a much less experienced but more diverse background can sometimes be preferred over a highly experience, concentrated one.

I feel I otherwise have a strong application with very high GRE scores (166 Quantitative, 156 Verbal), great LORs, and an averagish GPA.
All applicants are encouraged to offer the committee sound reasoning for the course of action he or she has taken in the road to preparing for veterinary school admissions. Provide background on the experience you've earned and how it has informed your knowledge of and career interest in the profession.

Hello,

Just wanted to throw in my two cents here. NCSU CVM admissions [I know who you are :)], feel free to slam these comments or tell me that I have no business posting in this 'official' forum ;) I graduated from NCSU's CVM in May of 2018, and had a very similar background to yourself (> 10K hours of research/industry experience under the direction of PhD scientists/veterinarians). I was likely the person in my class with the smallest quantity of small animal clinical experience (approx. n = 50 hours, accumulated during high school). In addition to research, I had boat loads of diverse animal (not veterinary) experience, obtained @ public zoos/aquaria, as well as boarding and other facilities. NCSU CVM values a diverse class- I can say that with confidence. One of my favorite aspects of vet school was learning alongside my classmates who had totally different backgrounds than myself. This is a benefit in all aspects of the curriculum- in didactic lectures (your classmates will have different strengths/weaknesses than yourself) as well as on the clinic floor (shout out to my classmates who were small animal techs for years prior to vet school- those folks helped me out a lot). I was likewise able to lend my support to them in other ways. My advice to applicants is always to apply where you'd like to go. Even if it's a long shot- you never know. NCSU was a 'reach' school for me. I was competitive per the institution's posted criteria, but was also an OOS applicant (there are countless excellent, qualified applicants denied admission in this category every year). All the same, it was my dream school. The worst the admissions committee could do was say no. The potential pay off of admission was well worth the potential blow of rejection. Lo and behold, I was indeed granted admission (much to my surprise), received an excellent education, met many wonderful people whom I'll remember for life, and landed the residency of my dreams post-graduation. There's no 'right/one' way to apply to veterinary school. Admissions guidelines are there for a reason (baseline qualifications are required to ensure competency), but there are many ways that those requirements can be fulfilled. Your job in your VMCAS application is to convince the committee of multiple things: 1. That you have the academic chops to cut it in the demanding curriculum, 2. That you're a good human being who values the input of and works well with others, 3. That you've thoroughly investigated the pros/cons of a veterinary career, and that you know what you're getting into when you take on this job, 4. That you have a passion for improving the lives of animals and the people who care for/depend on them the world over, and 5. That you bring your own 'special blend' of awesomeness to your veterinary class- what makes you a unique, special contributor to the amazing group of people with whom you'll spend very close quarters for the next intense four years of your life. Do this, and you're well on your way to convincing the committee to offer you a slot in the upcoming class. Good luck! If you're ever interesting in chatting with a recent graduate who came from a predominantly non-clinical background, give me a holler. To NCSU admissions- miss you all very much!

Reactions: 2 users
Friday, July 6, 2018 at 9am
The supplemental application is now accessible. Good luck on your application.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents here. NCSU CVM admissions [I know who you are :)], feel free to slam these comments or tell me that I have no business posting in this 'official' forum ;) I graduated from NCSU's CVM in May of 2018, and had a very similar background to yourself (> 10K hours of research/industry experience under the direction of PhD scientists/veterinarians). I was likely the person in my class with the smallest quantity of small animal clinical experience (approx. n = 50 hours, accumulated during high school). In addition to research, I had boat loads of diverse animal (not veterinary) experience, obtained @ public zoos/aquaria, as well as boarding and other facilities. NCSU CVM values a diverse class- I can say that with confidence. One of my favorite aspects of vet school was learning alongside my classmates who had totally different backgrounds than myself. This is a benefit in all aspects of the curriculum- in didactic lectures (your classmates will have different strengths/weaknesses than yourself) as well as on the clinic floor (shout out to my classmates who were small animal techs for years prior to vet school- those folks helped me out a lot). I was likewise able to lend my support to them in other ways. My advice to applicants is always to apply where you'd like to go. Even if it's a long shot- you never know. NCSU was a 'reach' school for me. I was competitive per the institution's posted criteria, but was also an OOS applicant (there are countless excellent, qualified applicants denied admission in this category every year). All the same, it was my dream school. The worst the admissions committee could do was say no. The potential pay off of admission was well worth the potential blow of rejection. Lo and behold, I was indeed granted admission (much to my surprise), received an excellent education, met many wonderful people whom I'll remember for life, and landed the residency of my dreams post-graduation. There's no 'right/one' way to apply to veterinary school. Admissions guidelines are there for a reason (baseline qualifications are required to ensure competency), but there are many ways that those requirements can be fulfilled. Your job in your VMCAS application is to convince the committee of multiple things: 1. That you have the academic chops to cut it in the demanding curriculum, 2. That you're a good human being who values the input of and works well with others, 3. That you've thoroughly investigated the pros/cons of a veterinary career, and that you know what you're getting into when you take on this job, 4. That you have a passion for improving the lives of animals and the people who care for/depend on them the world over, and 5. That you bring your own 'special blend' of awesomeness to your veterinary class- what makes you a unique, special contributor to the amazing group of people with whom you'll spend very close quarters for the next intense four years of your life. Do this, and you're well on your way to convincing the committee to offer you a slot in the upcoming class. Good luck! If you're ever interesting in chatting with a recent graduate who came from a predominantly non-clinical background, give me a holler. To NCSU admissions- miss you all very much!

Thanks for this information!! This is a great response and is very much appreciated.

So all the other schools I've seen require that you take the GRE by September 15th; however, NC State asks that you take it by August 15th. Is this a recommended deadline for them so that the scores are received by September 15th or a required deadline?

So all the other schools I've seen require that you take the GRE by September 15th; however, NC State asks that you take it by August 15th. Is this a recommended deadline for them so that the scores are received by September 15th or a required deadline?
NC State requires that GRE scores be received by the September 15 deadline. Taking it on September 15 usually indicates that the scores won't arrive until early October. That's too late for NC State. Our recommendation of August 15 guarantees that the scores will be received by the application deadline.

I moved to Raleigh in July because my significant other got a job here. We are planning on staying in North Carolina. I am not considered a resident of North Carolina right now, and I need to put that I'm not a resident on the supplemental application. However, if I am accepted, before I start I will have been in the state for 1 year and I should be considered a resident. Will it be possible to get In-State Tuition?

I moved to Raleigh in July because my significant other got a job here. We are planning on staying in North Carolina. I am not considered a resident of North Carolina right now, and I need to put that I'm not a resident on the supplemental application. However, if I am accepted, before I start I will have been in the state for 1 year and I should be considered a resident. Will it be possible to get In-State Tuition?

The NC State CVM Student Services Office is unable to provide a definitive answer to your question. We are not the agency involved in making that decision.

You are encouraged to visit the NC Residency Determination Service web site and read the information provided, especially the FAQ page.

I'm a second time applicant. My GRE scores still seem to be posted in VMCAS from last years cycle. Do I need to send them again?

I'm a second time applicant. My GRE scores still seem to be posted in VMCAS from last years cycle. Do I need to send them again?

As far as we understand, you shouldn't be required to send the scores a second time.

To be sure though, contact the VMCAS student hotline:

Phone: 617-612-2884

Fax: 617-612-2051

Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Eastern Time

Hey! I took my GRE yesterday and got mediocre scores. NCSU is my dream school, and as a Kentucky OOS applicant, I know my chances are low for acceptance. I understand that you may have no say in the application process, but could you rate my application? I apply next summer and I am drawn to NCSU because of the MPH program in veterinary epidemiology for DVMs. I have a passion for veterinary epidemiology and am currently working on reducing parvo outbreaks in Eastern Kentucky. I had posted my application on the "What are my chances thread?" but would love to hear your opinion for my objective application (GPA and GRE), especially on the GRE score section.

Here is my application:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 yo at time of application, female, Kentucky resident, first-time applicant

Degree: At time of graduation, will have a B.S. of Biology in Veterinary Science track, and a minor in chemistry

Cumulative GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA (currently): 3.93

GRE
Verbal/Quant:
finished the test and didn't write down the scores fast enough. Either 153 or 152 in either section, not sure which order
Do I need to retake it for NCSU?
AW: Don't have score yet

Anyways, thank you! I hope to visit NCSU soon.
We really appreciate your interest in our program and hope to receive an application from you.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide feedback on any applicant's "chances for admission."

Does State require that you send all attempted GRE scores or can you just send the better score if you take it twice?

Does State require that you send all attempted GRE scores or can you just send the better score if you take it twice?
They won’t know if you don’t send the first score. But when you take it you get four free reports if you submit those four right then. Any ones submitted after the exam is over, whether you used those four free ones or not, are an additional cost of I think $27 apiece.

NC State will review all scores that are submitted with your application. Once submitted, we will have access for five years after the test date.

NC State will host new student orientation for the Class of 2022 from July 31 - August 7.

Please note that response times to admissions queries will be slower than normal.

We appreciate your patience with us at this time.

Forty (40) days until the VMCAS and NC State supplemental application deadlines.

Hi, this is sort of a general question but I'm just wondering how heavily fall 2018 courses impact a fall 2019 application..If a lot of my pre-reqs are being taken this fall and I am applying next fall, will these courses still be considered in my application? Or do transcripts from the fall prior to matriculation typically not arrive before decisions are made?

The NC State Admissions Committee attempts to make decisions on non-resident applications before January and resident decisions by February. Therefore, fall transcripts may arrive after non-resident decisions are made but before resident decisions arrive. The Student Services Office updates grades as transcripts are received.

Please note that outside factors (weather, VMCAS deadline changes, staffing issues, etc.) can impact the timeline.

Closing in on one month from the VMCAS and NC State supplemental application deadlines.

We are receiving many questions regarding residency for tuition purposes. The state of North Carolina has created a central office to handle residency. You are encouraged to visit the Residency Determination Service website and thoroughly read the FAQ page. The NC State CVM Student Services Office doesn't play a role in residency determination either before or after an admissions decision.