NC State University c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year, I read on the c/o 2022 thread that applicants were able to use advanced/higher-level courses to fulfill lower-level prerequisites on the supplemental application. Is that still true for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last year, I read on the c/o 2022 thread that applicants were able to use advanced/higher-level courses to fulfill lower-level prerequisites on the supplemental application. Is that still true for this cycle?
We will consider higher-level courses as long as the courses fulfill the intent of the prerequisite.

REMINDER on GRE Scores
All applicants are required to complete the Graduate Record Exam, GRE®, prior to the application cycle. MCAT and DAT scores will not be accepted in lieu of GRE Scores. The ETS code for NC State University is 5496 (no department code is used) and the NC State CVM code is 2250. You may use either code but applicants will only be able to verify receipt of GRE scores through VMCAS by using the 2250 code.

GRE results must be received electronically by NC State University on or before September 17 at 11:59pm. Therefore, it is recommended that you take the test no later than August 15 in order for the complete scores to reach us by the September 17th deadline. Scores are sent from ETS to NC State electronically. Paper copies of GRE scores submitted by applicants are not accepted. Scores that arrive electronically after the September 17th deadline will not be accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the last question on the supplemental,

"7. If there have been events or circumstances that have had an impact (either positive or negative) on your academic performance, please explain. (Yes / no / Unsure)"

I am at a loss as to how this question is to be interpreted. Is this an 'extenuating circumstances' sort of question like "My relative died this semester and I was out of school for weeks and that is why my grades or poor" or is it just an explanation of the curve of your grades?

I ask because my grades in the beginning of my college career were poor due to ill-knowledge of study habits. Once I met someone who showed me how they studied, my marks DRASTICALLY improved.

Not sure if I should explain that, because it will sound ridiculous to the admissions committee if it is the former.

Thank you!

As for the last question on the supplemental,

"7. If there have been events or circumstances that have had an impact (either positive or negative) on your academic performance, please explain. (Yes / no / Unsure)"

I am at a loss as to how this question is to be interpreted. Is this an 'extenuating circumstances' sort of question like "My relative died this semester and I was out of school for weeks and that is why my grades or poor" or is it just an explanation of the curve of your grades?

I ask because my grades in the beginning of my college career were poor due to ill-knowledge of study habits. Once I met someone who showed me how they studied, my marks DRASTICALLY improved.

Not sure if I should explain that, because it will sound ridiculous to the admissions committee if it is the former.

Thank you!
This question is open to all responses. It's up to you, the applicant, to explain as little or as much as you'd like.

I have another question. Is there a time limit for prerequisites? For example, I took dual credit English in high school in 2012-2013. I was wondering if those credits would fulfill the requirements for the Composition & Writing prerequisites despite being from so long ago.

Last edited:
I have another question. Is there a time limit for prerequisites? For example, I took dual credit English in high school in 2012-2013. I was wondering if those credits would fulfill the requirements for the Composition & Writing prerequisites despite being from so long ago.
NC State doesn't impose time limits on prerequisites. Some schools, however, do. Please check the admissions requirements for each prospective school.

Reactions: 1 user
Please be sure to get your application in this week. The sooner, the better. NC State will close on Wednesday at 5pm and be closed on Thursday and Friday due to the projected impact of Hurricane Florence. With potential power outages throughout the state, the Student Services Office may not be able to answer last minute questions. You are highly encouraged to complete and submit your application by Wednesday.

The official VMCAS deadline is Monday, September 17 at 11:59pm EDT.

The official NC State supplemental application is Tuesday, September 18 at 1:00pm EDT.

Hurricane Florence Information
Tuesday, September 10, 2018 -- 1:30 p.m.
Classes cancelled after noon on Wednesday

Based on updated Hurricane Florence forecasts and projected impacts, and to ensure students who choose to travel have adequate time to do so ahead of significant adverse weather conditions, NC State is moving to Reduced Operations (Condition 1 of the UNC System Adverse Weather Policy) and additionally cancelling classes beginning noon on Wednesday, Sept. 12.

All classes that begin after noon on Wednesday will be cancelled, and there will be no classes on Thursday or Friday. For faculty and staff, Condition 1 will be in effect from noon until 5 p.m. Wednesday, moving then to Condition 2 until 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 16.

University officials will continue to monitor the situation and update the campus community with any changes.

Under Condition 1, employees should take reasonable precautions for personal safety. Mandatory employees must report to or remain at work. Non-mandatory employees should make a good faith effort to remain at or report to work taking reasonable precautions and judgments for personal safety. Those who do not work must use leave (comp, annual, bonus or special bonus leave) or make up time based on departmental need. Non-mandatory employees may also arrange for alternative work locations if approved to do so.

Under Condition 2, all non-mandatory operations are suspended and non-mandatory employees should not report to work until the university resumes normal operations. Non-mandatory employees must use leave (comp, annual or bonus) for this time. Employees not working may also make up time (within 90 days) based on departmental need or arrange for alternative work locations if approved to do so.

Additional information about the UNC System Adverse Weather Policy can be found at go.ncsu.edu/adverseweather.

Students, and all members of the NC State community, are encouraged to carefully review up-to-date weather and road conditions and make well-informed, safe choices about travel.

I'm sorry if this question was already asked:

NCSU emails their decisions to applicants BY January 31st or ON January 31st? Is there any chance a decision could/would be made before that?

NCSU emails their decisions to applicants BY January 31st or ON January 31st? Is there any chance a decision could/would be made before that?

I looked at the thread for last years application cycle some time ago, and they e-mailed OOS decisions around the 21st (that's the date I remember, but it might be slightly off). So I guess there is a chance :)

Members don't see this ad :)

We commit to e-mailing all decision letters by April 1 of each cycle; this allows roughly two weeks before the April 15th decision deadline for an applicant to make a final choice.

We commit to e-mailing all decision letters by April 1 of each cycle; this allows roughly two weeks before the April 15th decision deadline for an applicant to make a final choice.

So for an out of state student, we could expect decisions no later than April 1?

Is there a chance decisions would come out in January or before?

So for an out of state student, we could expect decisions no later than April 1?

Is there a chance decisions would come out in January or before?
We don't speculate on notification dates due to outside factors, like Hurricane Florence, a category 4 storm.

We don't speculate on notification dates due to outside factors, like Hurricane Florence, a category 4 storm.

Ok thank you. I apologize if I seemed demanding, I was curious about the timeline. Stay safe down there!

IMPORTANT 2019 ADMISSIONS CYCLE UPDATE

Due to the impact of Hurricane Florence, please note these new dates and times for the 2019 admissions cycle:

VMCAS Application Deadline
Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:59pm ET

NC State Supplemental Application
Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:00pm ET

NOTE: The NC State supplemental application deadline now occurs BEFORE the VMCAS deadline.

It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure that all admissions requirements are met by the deadline.

NC State University will resume normal operations and its regular class schedule beginning 8 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18.

The university will continue to operate under Reduced Operations (Condition 1 of the UNC System Adverse Weather Policy) until 8 a.m. Tuesday.

The Student Services Office is open today (Monday, September 17).

REMINDER - the 2019 admissions cycle deadline is Friday, September 21.

VMCAS Application Deadline
Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:59pm ET

NC State Supplemental Application
Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:00pm ET

NOTE: The NC State supplemental application deadline now occurs BEFORE the VMCAS deadline.

REMINDER - the 2019 admissions cycle deadline is Friday, September 21, 2018 (TOMORROW).

NOTICE - If you've tried to access the NC State supplemental application and receive a notice that you are not an authorized user, please follow these steps to correct the issue:

1) Close all browser windows.
2) Open a session of something not related to the university, like usatoday.com or wral.com.
3) From there, clear your cache.
4) Close all browser windows.
5) Reboot your machine.

Then add to it:
6) Open a browser and navigate to the vet school page with the link (Education – DVM – Admission | NC State Veterinary Medicine)
7) Click the link for the supplemental app.
8) If may take you to the login page or to a security authorization error.... Hit the back arrow on the browser to take you back to the vet school page

9) Click the link again - it seems that clicking back and the re-accessing the application broke whatever cache was causing the problem.

We apologize for this inconvenience in completing the supplemental application.

The 2019 admissions cycle application deadline has passed. We thank everyone for their interest in NC State.

If you've applied, the Student Services Office will be in contact as it processes applications.

@NCSU CVM
For the last 45 credit hour GPA, I read that it goes back a semester at a time. If the total number of credit hours with that whole semester is over 45, do we divide the total quality points by that total number of credit hours or 45?

Thank you!

@NCSU CVM
For the last 45 credit hour GPA, I read that it goes back a semester at a time. If the total number of credit hours with that whole semester is over 45, do we divide the total quality points by that total number of credit hours or 45?

Thank you!
Total number of credit hours. I didn’t apply to ncsu but it’s the same for all the schools :)

Does having previously visited the college have a strong effect on your application or how it is viewed?

@NCSU CVM

Thank you!
The total number of credits for the semester in which the 45th credit falls.

The CVM Student Services Office is still processing applications from VMCAS.

We are projecting a 10% increase in applications over last year.

I received a “receipt of credentials” today—last year according to SDN applicants received this Oct 19th.

I hope that means NC State is ahead of last year’s schedule, the sooner I know my fate the sooner I won’t feel like I’m free fallin’. I need to know, or I’m gonna breakdown. But I guess I’m alright for now ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I received a “receipt of credentials” today—last year according to SDN applicants received this Oct 19th.

I hope that means NC State is ahead of last year’s schedule, the sooner I know my fate the sooner I won’t feel like I’m free fallin’. I need to know, or I’m gonna breakdown. But I guess I’m alright for now ;)
Last year the deadline was also a week later because of both Irma and Harvey! So ideally they’re ahead of last year with that step at least!

Last year the deadline was also a week later because of both Irma and Harvey! So ideally they’re ahead of last year with that step at least!

That's wonderful. I have some plans to take a class I need for prerequisites if I am accepted. If decisions are out before January 21st I'll save some money and time not taking the class if I'm declined. If they're not out by then...well, I guess I'm at least furthering myself with higher education :prof:

Yer so bad!

Applicant Demand for Admission Through VMCAS Increases
Oct%20students%20in%20lab%20resized.jpg

Demand for admission to AAVMC member institutions through the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) is growing, according to preliminary data gathered at the conclusion of the 2018 VMCAS cycle.

A total of 8,151 individuals applied to attend veterinary medical college through VMCAS this cycle, which represents a seven percent increase over last year. The number of applicants increased about six percent year over year during the preceding two admissions cycles.

The total number of applications submitted was 40,522, which represents about a 10 percent increase over last year. Each applicant applied to about five institutions.

Hurricane Florence caused the Admissions & Recruitment Committee to slightly extend the application deadline this year. On September 14, a communication was issued to all applicants that moved the deadline to September 21.

That decision was made because emergency conditions in the Mid-Atlantic states forced some applicants to evacuate their homes and/or manage without electricity and basic utilities. Some colleges and universities were closed, which impacted the delivery of official transcripts and other important application components.

Overall, the VMCAS system functioned well, with no major problems reported to the AAVMC or vendor Liaison International, according to Director of Recruitment and Admissions Tony Wynne.

While the data will not be finalized until later in October, Wynne believes the final numbers will not be significantly different.

NC State will receive approximately 1,166 applications for review for the 2019 admissions cycle. VMCAS identified a total of 1,654 applications for our program but 488 applications are in statuses that won't go through the verification process at the national level.

488 applications are in statuses that won't go through the verification process at the national level.

I am not 100% sure what this means. Does it mean 488 people who applied to NCSU did not qualify for verification, and will not be verified for any vet school/national level?

I am not 100% sure what this means. Does it mean 488 people who applied to NCSU did not qualify for verification, and will not be verified for any vet school/national level?
It signifies applicants who designated NC State but didn't submit to NC State. This usually includes a large number of individuals who determine they don't meet application requirements after first electing to apply to NC State.

NC State has now loaded 1,162 applications from VMCAS into its software for the 2019 admissions cycle.

This appears to be the total number of applicants.

Please be sure to monitor your e-mail for correspondence from the Student Services Office throughout the admissions cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
AAVMC / VMCAS Acceptance Deadline Policy

In order to grant member schools enough time to complete their admissions processes and to give applicants enough time to consider all offers of admissions, no AAVMC Member Institution will require any applicant to make a decision about admission or financial aid before April 15 of each year. If April 15 falls on a Saturday or a Sunday, the date will be shifted to the following Monday.

To ensure applicants are aware of this policy, each Member Institution will attach a copy of this policy to all admissions offer letters.

This policy does not apply to:

· Institutions outside the U.S. that do not participate in VMCAS

· Offers of admission for non-VMCAS applicants to institutions outside the U.S.

· Offers of admission for matriculation that is other than August or September

I am applying as IS applicant, but for some reason my application was review as an OS applicant and denied. Who do I contact to review the error???

I am applying as IS applicant, but for some reason my application was review as an OS applicant and denied. Who do I contact to review the error???

Where did you see that it was denied? Did they email you?

Please contact the Student Services Office ([email protected]) with your name, VMCAS ID #, and NC RDS Residency Certification Number.

My statistics course was freshman level. Do I need to take a junior or senior level statistics course to meet the requirements for the statistics prerequisite or is a freshman level okay?

My statistics course was freshman level. Do I need to take a junior or senior level statistics course to meet the requirements for the statistics prerequisite or is a freshman level okay?
NC State focuses on course content with regard to prerequisites. Here is the course description for an NC State undergraduate statistics course. Please review to see if the course you completed (or will complete) matches in content.

ST 311: Introduction to Statistics, Units: 3

Examining relationships between two variables using graphical techniques, simple linear regression and correlation methods. Producing data using experiment design and sampling. Elementary probability and the basic notions of statistical inference including confidence interval estimation and tests of hypothesis. One and two sample t-tests, one-way analysis of variance, inference for count data and regression. Credit not allowed if student has prior credit for another ST course or BUS 350

NC State focuses on course content with regard to prerequisites. Here is the course description for an NC State undergraduate statistics course. Please review to see if the course you completed (or will complete) matches in content.

ST 311: Introduction to Statistics, Units: 3

Examining relationships between two variables using graphical techniques, simple linear regression and correlation methods. Producing data using experiment design and sampling. Elementary probability and the basic notions of statistical inference including confidence interval estimation and tests of hypothesis. One and two sample t-tests, one-way analysis of variance, inference for count data and regression. Credit not allowed if student has prior credit for another ST course or BUS 350

Thank you so much. I had a problem with another school accepting my stat course so I was just checking with other schools to make sure.

In the past two years, OOS applicants received decisions in late December...anyone else starting to get nervecited? :scared: