MD & DO Need advice on chances for MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prilozack

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get some advice on what I should do for applying. I have already applied this year to MD only, but I haven't gotten much luck yet. Here's the breakdown on stats:

Degree: Bachelor in neuroscience (honors program)
GPA: 3.69 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA
MCAT: 497
Research: 3 years experience with 2 publications in journals and 1 poster
Shadowing: 500+ hours of OR and 300+ in clinics
Job: Work in the local hospital as a medical scribe in the ER
Volunteering: over 4,000+ hours over my college career with various organizations

Also, I'm active on international missions and local missions (both medical and humanitarian based).

I have planned on retaking the MCAT in a few months if I do not get in this cycle to apply early this coming cycle. I'm confident I can definitely receive a better score this time around.

What are your thoughts/advice on applying and certain school recommendations? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You applied only MD with about a 22? I hope you didn't spend too much money on secondaries. You need to retake and score above 510, ideally 512+, for a chance at MD and above 505 to have a shot for the better DO programs

Get your MCAT up! Everything else is excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
You applied only MD with about a 22? I hope you didn't spend too much money on secondaries. You need to retake and score above 510, ideally 512+, for a chance at MD and above 505 to have a shot for the better DO programs
I applied and submitted secondaries before my score came back. I only applied to 7 schools. However, I thought I would have a slight chance given my letters, connections, and ECs (not all are listed).

Unless your repeat MCAT is over 510 you should definitely be applying to DO schools for the next cycle.
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely applying both MD and DO regardless of what my MCAT score retake is. Even if I get a 515, I'm still applying both because I realize nothing is guaranteed anywhere.

What are my chances (WAMC) threads have their own sub section they get posted in. AlteredScale just moved the thread to the right place.

Only retake the MCAT when you're ready, as second bad score would be, well bad. Apply broadly, make sure to shadow a DO if you haven't done so. Good luck \o/

800+ hours of shadowing? Why?
It was through internships and such throughout all 4 years of undergrad. I did research and also worked at 5 local hospitals. Is this not enough shadowing?

What are my chances (WAMC) threads have their own sub section they get posted in. AlteredScale just moved the thread to the right place.

Only retake the MCAT when you're ready, as second bad score would be, well bad. Apply broadly, make sure to shadow a DO if you haven't done so. Good luck \o/
Thanks so much! I've thankfully shadowed a DO for quite awhile. He was a surgeon. Thanks for the advice! This is all a journey!