Need Advice - Take the MCAT next year or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentforLife77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate GPA (2015 graduation) was 2.49 with 139 credit hours, most of which are science classes. In the years since I graduated, I decided I wanted to go into medicine and I have begun the long journey of repairing my past mistakes of my terrible GPA. I understand I have a long road ahead of me - I'm willing to do the work.

In the past year I have taken 20 credit hours with a 3.8 GPA. Half of these credit hours were from earning my EMT certification at a community college. The other half is from retaking the classes that I received Fs or Ds in during my undergrad. Since October, I am have been working as an EMT. I start volunteering with a free clinic next week, and I have several appointments set up to shadow doctors. I have two letters of recommendation. One from my boss at my previous job (non health care, and I was there for 2.5 years) and one from my EMT instructor.

My plan for next semester was to just take one class while working and volunteering, and take the MCAT next June. However, now I am thinking it might be too soon, because I need to take more classes to bump up my undergraduate GPA. Is this true? Should I hold off another year before taking the MCAT, and just focus on taking upper division Biology and Chemistry classes this spring and next fall?

My thoughts were that taking the MCAT and doing well could open doors for SMPs, but I'm afraid that I couldn't even get into a decent SMP with my current GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to do a SMP. You could continue to take undergraduate level science courses at a local college until both your sGPA and cGPA are above 3.0 . Take the MCAT when your practice scores are consistently above 505.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can obtain two letters of recommendation from science faculty (which potentially means taking more courses in order to establish a relationship), that will help you apply broadly!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many credits was EMT? Mine was 11, which would mean you took 3 other courses? With a 2.49 im not sure what you are going to do...

I'm just saying your only upward trend was 3 classes and EMT... Which three classes?

I'm just saying your only upward trend was 3 classes and EMT... Which three classes?
Genetics, physics I, physics I lab and medical terminology. Next semester I'm taking Biochem. Next fall I'll be taking full time upper division biology classes. My intention would be to continue taking classes after taking the Mcat for at least two more semesters, maybe more. So, should I wait to take the mcat until getting some more semesters under my belt? Is there a downside to applying to medical school a year or two after taking the Mcat?