NEED HELP CHOOSING SCHOOLS TO APPLY TO (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjiman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I plan on applying to DO schools this upcoming 2018-2019 cycle. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what schools to apply to since only some schools list their matriculation stats. If anyone could give me some insight or link some resources, I would greatly appreciate it!

this is the gist of my application:
cGPA with grade forgiveness: 3.43. I did okay first 2 years (As and Bs). 3rd year was horrible and killed my GPA. 4th year I retook classes and did significantly better. So hopefully admissions will see an upward trend/improvement.
cGPA without grade forgiveness (new DO policy): 3.17
sGPA: similar to cGPA
MCAT: 502
1 year of research
Letters of rec are good to go
starting a new job as a medical assistant at a private practice
I have a phlebotomy license
shadowed a neurologist (MD) and a family physician (DO)
volunteer: feeding the homeless every month and some other events here and there.
leadership: I held the scholarship chair for my fraternity for 1 year and I was a student research leader in the research lab I worked in.
Unfortunately I was not published during research and I have not volunteered at a hospital yet.

Please help, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Grade forgiveness isn't a thing anymore, but upward trends have always been seen as positive. Do you have a DO letter? What is your state of residence? After we know where you are in the country, we can help you pick out programs that have a regional preference. Your GPA is on the low side (the average of all accepted DO student is around 3.4)

I'd say apply broadly, especially to the newer DO programs. Or consider doing a post bac that is tied to an osteopathic medical school.

Grade forgiveness isn't a thing anymore, but upward trends have always been seen as positive. Do you have a DO letter? What is your state of residence? After we know where you are in the country, we can help you pick out programs that have a regional preference. Your GPA is on the low side (the average of all accepted DO student is around 3.4)

I'd say apply broadly, especially to the newer DO programs. Or consider doing a post bac that is tied to an osteopathic medical school.
Yes, I have a letter from a DO. I am from California. And do you know where/how I can find a list of newer DO programs? Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this thread - it has a data table for DO school matriculants. It's older data (2013-2015), but could still be useful. A 502 translates to around a 27 - I would shoot for the schools that average in the 25-26 range with your GPA.

ICOM is not on the list - it's a brand new school that opened this cycle. I don't know what else is missing. Good luck!

Did you work as a phlebotomist or just have the cert/license?