Need help clearing some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kah95

Reaction score
Currently studying for the MCAT for 7/7 with practice scores between 507-510.

uGPA: 3.1
postbacc GPA (19 credits upper division bio) - 3.947
final AACOMAS sGPA : 3.10
final cGPA: 3.23
ORM
FL Resident

My issues are:
1) Do I stand a chance with these stats for DO schools?
2) I will not have a non-science LOR since it's been almost 4 years since I've taken a non science class. What can I do about that? I have a committee but I can't use them due to their GPA requirements.

EDIT: I will have 2 science LOR and one DO LOR

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Currently studying for the MCAT for 7/20 with practice scores between 507-510.

ORM
FL Resident

My issues are:
2) I will not have a non-science LOR since it's been almost 4 years since I've taken a non science class. What can I do about that? I have a committee but I can't use them due to their GPA requirements.
If your ECs (clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing including DO shadowing) are good and if you get a DO LOR, your chances are good with a 505+ in the MCAT.

Edit: No need for a non-science LOR, just get a couple science LORs, a committee/advisor LOR, and a DO LOR, and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

If you hit your MCAT practice scores - you can pick your DO school and even get into an MD school...
What LOR's will you be using? Having a DO one is a huge help.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you hit your MCAT practice scores - you can pick your DO school and even get into an MD school...
What LOR's will you be using? Having a DO one is a huge help.

I will be having two science LOR and 1 DO LOR and 1 LOR from one of my nonclinical volunteer experiences (450+ hours). What do I do for the schools that require a non science LOR?

Any input from you guys is helpful too! @gonnif @gyngyn @Goro

I will be having two science LOR and 1 DO LOR and 1 LOR from one of my nonclinical volunteer experiences (450+ hours). What do I do for the schools that require a non science LOR?

Any input from you guys is helpful too! @gonnif @gyngyn @Goro
I'd use the volunteer LOR as the non-sci one tbh

It isnt up to applicant what can fill a letter requirement. Some schools require a non-science academic/faculty letter. You need to find from MSAR and website if any of your schools have that requirement and get a letter that fills it.
Is emailing schools individually to see if they can waive that requirement an option? I'm a nontrad

Hijacking the thread a little, but would a Neuroscience PhD professor which I have taken two Neuro (my major) courses with count as a science or will they count as psych/non-sci?

Hijacking the thread a little, but would a Neuroscience PhD professor which I have taken two Neuro (my major) courses with count as a science or will they count as psych/non-sci?
That should definitely count as science. The classes name even say Neuro-science. I don't know why they would count that as non-science.

That should definitely count as science. The classes name even say Neuro-science. I don't know why they would count that as non-science.

I would say it depends on the school, e.g. ACOM told me that they only accepted the basic sciences (biology, chemistry, etc.) as a "science letter", therefore a letter from my Neuroscience professor was null and void.

I was in a similar LOR situation last year with 2 science letters, 1 DO letter and a supervisor letter. The only schools I found that I couldn't apply to were:

UNE-COM
Both PCOM campuses (strict)
PNWU-COM
OSU-COM
MSU-COM
I also have both NYIT-COM campuses as requiring 3 science letters but they still offered me an interview.

I didn't ask the other schools but mainly because of their regional bias I wasn't going to apply anyway.

If you get an MCAT score around your practice tests you will have a decent shot at most schools but still apply broadly.

Currently studying for the MCAT for 7/7 with practice scores between 507-510.

ORM
FL Resident

My issues are:

EDIT: I will have 2 science LOR and one DO LOR
1. Yes.
2. Don't know