Need Help on Deciding Schools!! 3.9 GPA 25 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoapp24

Do you feel lucky, punk?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals!),

So I've submitted my application to 2 schools (UF and NOVA since I'm a florida resident) and I'm about to submit to University of Pacific. Besides these three schools I'm really undecided as I would LOVE to be in an actual city (San Francisco *sigghhh), but money is also a huge factor. Right now I have a 3.9 GPA (both overall and science) and a 25AA 25TS DAT. My application is also fairly good in regards to work, volunteering, leadership, shadowing, etc. I'm looking to add on 3 to 4 schools (2 reaches and 2 safeties) that would help in rounding out my application. I was thinking about adding UPenn (in hopes of maybe contending for the deans scholarship) and UCLA (since it's in a big city, and I'd be able to qualify for in state tuition after 1 year).

I'd love to hear your feedback. If theres any schools that really stood out to you, please let me know. If there's a possibility of getting in state tuition after one year and it's in a cool city, I would love to know about it!

Thankkssssss :)

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard.

In all seriousness with those stats you can apply to almost any school aside from ones that don't care for OOS. Anyone can make any argument for any school, you should definitely just go for schools that personally stand out to you and in this case UPenn, UCSF, Columbia, UCLA etc since those are in the big city. UCLA and UCSF are just better priced even for OOS due to being public. Everywhere else in the big city I can think of is a private school and expensive (I'm CA so not sure how other state dental schools are).

Last edited:
Thats the issues, haha. I had backups like Arizona and Uconn before my DAT but now I'm reconsidering using those fees to apply to schools in a location better suited for my personality. UoP is sweet since its only 3 years and the benefit of getting out 1 year early and having to pay one year less of rent in SF is highly desirable. Plus I would probably go on the military scholarship since I'd only have to serve three years. Are there any other schools like UCLA that are in bigger cities and pretty much guarantee in state tuition after the first year? I know UConn offers instate but the area isn't so great, and UColorado traps you in a 4 year OOS tuition. Any ideas on UChicago? I saw that they offered up their application for OOS students for the first time this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the issues, haha. I had backups like Arizona and Uconn before my DAT but now I'm reconsidering using those fees to apply to schools in a location better suited for my personality. UoP is sweet since its only 3 years and the benefit of getting out 1 year early and having to pay one year less of rent in SF is highly desirable. Plus I would probably go on the military scholarship since I'd only have to serve three years. Are there any other schools like UCLA that are in bigger cities and pretty much guarantee in state tuition after the first year? I know UConn offers instate but the area isn't so great, and UColorado traps you in a 4 year OOS tuition. Any ideas on UChicago? I saw that they offered up their application for OOS students for the first time this year.

This legit? And how hard is it to get a military scholarship nowadays?

As long as that's not a CC gpa, add Harvard, Columbia, and UPenn. I am sure you will be getting scholarships.

Reactions: 1 user
Would you go to UF if you got accepted to other notable schools? UF would be absurdly less expensive. Cost of living is basically dirt cheap, but it's Gainesville. Some people find it a positive and some people don't find the attraction.

I would consider the P/F schools, like Columbia, but definitely consider the location and cost. Also, consider if you can survive the cold. Honestly, I'm more worried about the cold than dental school.

I'm also interested in potential out of state safety schools that have decent programs and that aren't too expensive.

Go for Texas schools. With those stats you should be pretty competitive for an OOS seat.

As long as that's not a CC gpa, add Harvard, Columbia, and UPenn. I am sure you will be getting scholarships.

Between these three, which are more generous with scholarships? Boston, NYC, and Philly are all attractive places to live but the cost of these schools is SOOOOOO high without any additional financial aid :(

Would you go to UF if you got accepted to other notable schools? UF would be absurdly less expensive. Cost of living is basically dirt cheap, but it's Gainesville. Some people find it a positive and some people don't find the attraction.

I would consider the P/F schools, like Columbia, but definitely consider the location and cost. Also, consider if you can survive the cold. Honestly, I'm more worried about the cold than dental school.

I go to UF now and it would be very tough to turn down their acceptance based on cost. Gainesville, however, is small, boring and uneventful. During football games it comes alive, but in the time between you go to a handful of bars and are isolated from anyone not attending UF.

Go for Texas schools. With those stats you should be pretty competitive for an OOS seat.

Would you say Baylor or San Antonio is the wiser choice? I would LOVE to live in texas as I dont mind the heat, the state economics are great, and their state school tuition is phenomenal. I don't have any connections to Texas (never even been there), so I thought I would get denied just based off that..

Members don't see this ad :)
As of now this is my current list:
UF- applied and verified
NOVA- applied and submitted the supplemental
UoP- submitted last night
UCLA- thinking about submitting today. IS tuition is beautiful, and LA is not terribly expensive when compared to SF, NYC, or Boston.
UNC- thinking about submitting here because IS tuition is also a possibility after the first year. Campus is gorgeous, but chapel hill is a far cry from a big city :(

UPenn/Harvard/Columbia.... undecided. I know I could get an interview and the locations are great, but without a scholarship any of these three schools becomes a last resort.

Ohhhh also, any opinions on Rutgers? I heard they offer in state after the first year and being so close to NYC would also be amazing!

Ohhhh also, any opinions on Rutgers? I heard they offer in state after the first year and being so close to NYC would also be amazing!
Not very OOS friendly. Look into Maryland.

I go to UF now and it would be very tough to turn down their acceptance based on cost. Gainesville, however, is small, boring and uneventful. During football games it comes alive, but in the time between you go to a handful of bars and are isolated from anyone not attending UF.
Haha I go to Nova and am applying to go to UF we're in the same boat headed in reverse directions. I like UF because it's cheaper but I love my school and honestly like you said, 15 grand extra a year vs being in a civilized town, living next to family in my case, having stuff to do etc is much more worth it than staying in the Swamp of boredom. I visited once for a day and I don't know how you guys stay sane up there. Best of luck to you and maybe one day we'll be classmates ;)

I attended UF for undergrad. Going into the cycle, UF was my top choice but friends in UFCD told me there are some schools I should consider over UF if I got into their program. Once I started interviewing OOS, I realized I may have more fun elsewhere. I felt that I knew UFCD too well and I really wanted a fresh start. It really depends how you feel. I do not regret declining UF.

I attended UF for undergrad. Going into the cycle, UF was my top choice but friends in UFCD told me there are some schools I should consider over UF if I got into their program. Once I started interviewing OOS, I realized I may have more fun elsewhere. I felt that I knew UFCD too well and I really wanted a fresh start. It really depends how you feel. I do not regret declining UF.

Where else did you apply if you dont mind me asking? Which places caught your attention? And where are you now? I feel very similar to you in regards to wanting to get out. I feel like I've exhausted most aspects of Gainesville and 4 more years doesn't sound too enticing.

I got into Rutgers as an OOS and yeah they do give in state after the first year , mind you , so does uconn, and Rutgers is one of the more expensive state schools , it wasn't as big of a difference for me between Rutgers and Columbia as you would think, Rutgers was cheaper but not by like 100k or anything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did you interview at UConn? If so, did you like the school and area? I'll also read up more about Columbia now that it's become a viable option. Do you enjoy your studies at Columbia? You haven't had to take up pole dancing to finance your life in NYC lmao?

I'll be starting at Columbia. The P/F got me. I also interviewed at LECOM, Penn, Maryland and VCU. I personally was not interested in LECOM and VCU, but Maryland and Penn were great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I did not interview at uconn I just know of how awesome it is, I'm starting in August at Columbia , thus , alas , I cannot answer that question either , but everyone I know who goes there loves it , the people are like a giant family , I loved my interview and all interactions I've had with faculty and the people there , so I am certain I will love it , I can't wait to start , currently looking for housing actually hahahah , and believe it or not Columbia is one of the cheaper private schools, if you think Columbia is expensive look at nova or penn or Nyu lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll definitely inspect Columbia a lot more now. The P/F system is very enticing, and so is the big apple. Nova is hella expensive but I figured it'd be my last resort and I can just drive there for the interview lol. Anyways I appreciate your insight, best of luck!

I'll be starting at Columbia. The P/F got me. I also interviewed at LECOM, Penn, Maryland and VCU. I personally was not interested in LECOM or VCU but Maryland and Penn were great.

LECOM is literally an hour away from where I live so I'm going to avoid it like the bubonic plague. I've heard that VCUs facilities are gorgeous but the area itself is lackadaisical. If you don't mind, could you share what you didn't like about VCU and what you did like about Maryland and/or Penn? Sorry to keep bothering you, but your knowledge/experience in visiting these places as a UF undergrad is very valuable!

It's not a problem.

I wasn't impressed with VCU's facility. If you look at Maryland and Penn, both have outstanding facilities. Penn went through some serious renovations and Maryland is on top of the technology game. VCU has limited externship opportunities compared to Maryland and Penn. Maryland has partnerships with clinics all over the world, and I remember the Assistant Dean said a D4 did their externship in Vietnam for two weeks. I didn't think that was possible at the time. The research offered at VCU did not entice me. During my interview, I was discussing the topics I was interested in and my interviewer said they did not offer those topics. It was awkward. When it came down to it, I realized I will be suffering the cold regardless, but I have friends and family in NY, so that's another reason why I went with Columbia. I'll be staying in Manhattan closer to NYU. My family has property there so cost of living is significantly cheaper. Make sure you look into cost of living!!! I cannot stress this.

Specializing is highly attainable at Penn, Columbia and Maryland. I think UF said half of the graduating class went straight into practice and the other half went into residencies that included GPR and AEGD. I still think UF is one of the best institutions. I am beyond grateful to live in a state with a great dental school and I am so glad I volunteered there, but I just got tired of Gainesville and UF. I felt like I became complacent, so I wanted to move to give myself that excitement to start a new chapter.

Anything else?

It's not a problem.

I wasn't impressed with VCU's facility. If you look at Maryland and Penn, both have outstanding facilities. Penn went through some serious renovations and Maryland is on top of the technology game. VCU has limited externship opportunities compared to Maryland and Penn. Maryland has partnerships with clinics all over the world, and I remember the Assistant Dean said a D4 did their externship in Vietnam for two weeks. I didn't think that was possible at the time. The research offered at VCU did not entice me. During my interview, I was discussing the topics I was interested in and my interviewer said they did not offer those topics. It was awkward. When it came down to it, I realized I will be suffering the cold regardless, but I have friends and family in NY, so that's another reason why I went with Columbia. I'll be staying in Manhattan closer to NYU. My family has property there so cost of living is significantly cheaper. Make sure you look into cost of living!!! I cannot stress this.

Specializing is highly attainable at Penn, Columbia and Maryland. I think UF said half of the graduating class went straight into practice and the other half went into residencies that included GPR and AEGD. I still think UF is one of the best institutions. I am beyond grateful to live in a state with a great dental school and I am so glad I volunteered there, but I just got tired of Gainesville and UF. I felt like I became complacent, so I wanted to move to give myself that excitement to start a new chapter.

Anything else?

Thanks so much for your insight, it's really helpful! If you dont mind I have two more questions. How did you feel about potentially living in baltimore? Any reasons as to why you didn't apply to UNC (seeing as you got into Columbia I'm sure you would've at least gotten an interview at UNC)?

Maryland is in the good part of Baltimore. You are by the harbor and stadiums. As you go deeper into Baltimore where John Hopkins is located, that's where it gets interesting. Security is great and the police are present 24/7. They will even walk you home from the school if you want company at night. I think I would have loved Baltimore. Forget what the media and The Wire make Baltimore to be. The students are so happy to be there. That's all the confirmation I needed.

UNC accepts like one Floridian a year and I didn't think I would make the cut. I've visited UNC during undergrad and I realized I wanted a city. I've done the college town scene and now I'm ready for the city. I don't know where I will end up practicing, so I want to take advantage of the opportunity to be in the city. Besides the Florida dental schools, I applied to dental schools in the city that offer specialties, research, outreach, and a strong record of success.

Last edited:
Apply to Harvard. My friend graduated there with your stats.

Reactions: 1 users
I just remembered that UF is switching to the INBDE for the class of 2020. That was a big no for me.

Apply to Harvard. My friend graduated there with your stats.

Only thing about Harvard is that I have 0 research experience and seeing they weigh that criteria heavily, I feel like I would be at a severe disadvantage. I put in more than 2000 hours working various jobs (non dentistry related; but the jobs do show my experience in marketing, management, supervision, and helping the less fortunate) during my 3 undergrad years so I never had the time for research.

Last edited:
My friend had 0 research hours too.

My friend had 0 research hours too.

You're the best. I've dreamt about Harvard and talked jokingly about it, but now I'm actually considering it. Thank you SOOOOOO much for all your help. You've saved me a few hundreds of dollars and plenty hours of headache! Best of luck to your studies at Columbia!

Would you say Baylor or San Antonio is the wiser choice? I would LOVE to live in texas as I dont mind the heat, the state economics are great, and their state school tuition is phenomenal. I don't have any connections to Texas (never even been there), so I thought I would get denied just based off that..
Nah. I have a classmate who got accepted last cycle to SA and he doesn't have anything to do with Texas.
Go for those two. Houston basically doesn't accept OOS.

You're the best. I've dreamt about Harvard and talked jokingly about it, but now I'm actually considering it. Thank you SOOOOOO much for all your help. You've saved me a few hundreds of dollars and plenty hours of headache! Best of luck to your studies at Columbia!

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about your interviews.