This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulane CMB program vs. KCU COB

• Tulane CMB

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • KCU COB

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

MatrixMaven

Reaction score
So I've recently been accepted to a couple SMP programs for academic enhancement and I've narrowed it down to Tulane's masters in cell and molecular biology program and Kansas City University of Medicine's master of biomedical science. My goal after the program is MD. I'd really appreciate some insight on which program to go with or anyone's prior experiences with either program. I like that Tulane offers MCAT prep in their program, but I like that KCU's program is through the medical school. I'm not sure if this would limit admission for MD schools later though. Do MD schools look poorly on SMP's done at a DO school? Would greatly appreciate some insight on which of the two to go with!

- both programs are pretty similar in price

KCU pros:
- - guaranteed interview if gpa of 3.5 or above is achieved
-taught at a med school
-similar to M1 curriculum

KCU cons:
- large class size of 120+
- no MCAT prep offered
- not sure if it being at a DO school limits possibilities for MD schools

Tulane pros:
- small class size: ~35
- physician shadowing/ research
- MCAT prep

Tulane Cons:
- taught at college of science and engineering, not at med school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go tulane as it seems more tailored for people wanting to attend a med program, plus the small class sizes will aid you in other aspects like getting LOR's and research as you stated. I don't think going to a DO school for SMP would be a positive or a negative for MD and most adcoms probably wouldn't care. The only instance where I think KCU pulls ahead is if you are considering DO as apart of a board application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
So I've recently been accepted to a couple SMP programs for academic enhancement and I've narrowed it down to Tulane's masters in cell and molecular biology program and Kansas City University of Medicine's master of biomedical science. My goal after the program is MD. I'd really appreciate some insight on which program to go with or anyone's prior experiences with either program. I like that Tulane offers MCAT prep in their program, but I like that KCU's program is through the medical school. I'm not sure if this would limit admission for MD schools later though. Do MD schools look poorly on SMP's done at a DO school? Would greatly appreciate some insight on which of the two to go with!

- both programs are pretty similar in price

KCU pros:
-taught at a med school
-similar to M1 curriculum

KCU cons:
- large class size of 120+
- no MCAT prep offered
- not sure if it being at a DO school limits possibilities for MD schools

Tulane pros:
- small class size: ~35
- physician shadowing/ research
- MCAT prep

Tulane Cons:
- taught at college of science and engineering, not at med school
An SMP at a DO school has no negative impact. Kids from my SMP have gotten into MD schools.

Pick the program that cheapest, shortest, and has the best linkage deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go tulane as it seems more tailored for people wanting to attend a med program, plus the small class sizes will aid you in other aspects like getting LOR's and research as you stated. I don't think going to a DO school for SMP would be a positive or a negative for MD and most adcoms probably wouldn't care. The only instance where I think KCU pulls ahead is if you are considering DO as apart of a board application cycle.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I appreciate it

An SMP at a DO school has no negative impact. Kids from my SMP have gotten into MD schools.

Pick the program that cheapest, shortest, and has the best linkage deal.
Thanks so much for your feedback! They're both pretty similar in all those stats, price, length and linkage. Is there a program that you'd lean more towards based on your experience helping students get into MD schools?

Thanks so much for your feedback! They're both pretty similar in all those stats, price, length and linkage. Is there a program that you'd lean more towards based on your experience helping students get into MD schools?
Flip a coin, OR, what do you like better, KC barbecue or Cajun cooking?

Reactions: 1 user
Flip a coin, OR, what do you like better, KC barbecue or Cajun cooking?
so I forgot to mention KCU has h a guaranteed interview to their DO school if a 3.5 is achieved. But Tulane offers mcat prep ingrained in their curriculum so I know I would have people to study with for motivation as well as good mcat study materials