This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McDr34my

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some words of encouragement as I unfortunately, became subject to immense difficulties within the past few weeks. To get started, I'm currently a college senior majoring in Psychology. My major GPA is a 3.5, and cumulative GPA at this university is a 3.32. This 3.32 stems back from my Sophomore year when I was taking Chemistry. I withdrew from the course at the time, turned in my withdrawal form for a W but then the registrar's office lost the slip so they gave me an F. Prior to this, my GPA was a 3.56.

I am also enrolled at another institution getting my associate's degree, and have a 3.88 GPA there. Additionally, I have three years of experience as a scribe, have several years of experience as an EMT, and also work as a volunteer at geriatric nursing facilities.

Anyways, I've always into Psychology as a counselor but recently had some experiences in my life that made me decide I want to go into Med school - preferably psychiatry instead of psychotherapy. I've started applying to post-baccalaureate programs of which include: Bryn Mawr, UVA, GWU. My thing is this - even if I get in, how are they going to calculate my cumulative GPA? Does this include all institutions that I was attending? So maybe the average between the 3.32 and the 3.8? I'm starting to feel very unmotivated...like I don't even have good enough stats to get into post-bac. Additionally, even if I manage to make a 4.0 at a post-bac program I'm scared my 3.32 will come back to haunt me. It's just terrible.

I was going to go back to school this semester to retake the Chemistry and a couple additional courses to muster up my GPA(C) to a 3.6 which is definitely possible, however, I lost my job recently and have other things to take care of such as bills/house payment, that it makes it nearly impossible to go to school and get stellar marks in those classes. I couldn't even afford my textbooks last week.

So, what happens if I accept this 3.32? It feels like the end of the world (though I know it's not). I'm just afraid I'm not going to get in anywhere like this. Do I even have a remote chance at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

What was your follow-up with the W/F thing? Did you save a copy of your withdrawal form/somehow otherwise document it? Seems odd that they couldn't work with you, but I could see depending on the size of your uni how that could become a massive headache/they might not be accommodating.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some words of encouragement as I unfortunately, became subject to immense difficulties within the past few weeks. To get started, I'm currently a college senior majoring in Psychology. My major GPA is a 3.5, and cumulative GPA at this university is a 3.32. This 3.32 stems back from my Sophomore year when I was taking Chemistry. I withdrew from the course at the time, turned in my withdrawal form for a W but then the registrar's office lost the slip so they gave me an F. Prior to this, my GPA was a 3.56.

I am also enrolled at another institution getting my associate's degree, and have a 3.88 GPA there. Additionally, I have three years of experience as a scribe, have several years of experience as an EMT, and also work as a volunteer at geriatric nursing facilities.

Anyways, I've always into Psychology as a counselor but recently had some experiences in my life that made me decide I want to go into Med school - preferably psychiatry instead of psychotherapy. I've started applying to post-baccalaureate programs of which include: Bryn Mawr, UVA, GWU. My thing is this - even if I get in, how are they going to calculate my cumulative GPA? Does this include all institutions that I was attending? So maybe the average between the 3.32 and the 3.8? I'm starting to feel very unmotivated...like I don't even have good enough stats to get into post-bac. Additionally, even if I manage to make a 4.0 at a post-bac program I'm scared my 3.32 will come back to haunt me. It's just terrible.

I was going to go back to school this semester to retake the Chemistry and a couple additional courses to muster up my GPA(C) to a 3.6 which is definitely possible, however, I lost my job recently and have other things to take care of such as bills/house payment, that it makes it nearly impossible to go to school and get stellar marks in those classes. I couldn't even afford my textbooks last week.

So, what happens if I accept this 3.32? It feels like the end of the world (though I know it's not). I'm just afraid I'm not going to get in anywhere like this. Do I even have a remote chance at this point?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the SMPs will take the GPA of ALL your undergrad coursework which include your BA and associates degree. They aren't just gonna take 3.32 + 3.8 / 2 to fin your overall gpa, though.

You're definitely not sunk with a 3.32 cGPA. You're right to be so focused on doing well in the SMP but if you handle your business there in one of these programs you should be fine.

If you don't get into an SMP there are a LOT of other options you can do. A ton of people on here (myself included) do DIY post baccs. I had to take three more pre reqs, and I've done so at local CCs and state/private universities. I do think you'll probably get in to one of the SMPs though.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you let that W into F actually stick? You shouldnt be penalized because someone else was incompetent.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your follow-up with the W/F thing? Did you save a copy of your withdrawal form/somehow otherwise document it? Seems odd that they couldn't work with you, but I could see depending on the size of your uni how that could become a massive headache/they might not be accommodating.

Never underestimate the crushing bureaucracy of a large state school. They'll always surprise you.