Need your help, Chances to DO? (Non-Trad Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmlee0108

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am wondering if you guys can help me figure out what I should do at this point.
I'm a non-trad application, and these are my stats:

Education:
2012-2016 B.A., Biology major and Medical Anthropology minor (Private)
cGPA: 3.43
sGPA: 3.36
MCAT: 505

2018-2020 MPH, Health Policy and Management (Ivy League School)
cGPA: 3.80 for Fall semester

Work Experience:
2016-2018 Clinical Research Coordinator: 40hrs/week (with a lot of overtime)
This experience is basically my shadowing experience because I worked at the ED, ICU, OR, and the surgical clinic.

Other Experiences:
Clinical Volunteer
  • Emergency Department Volunteer: 640 hours
Non-Clinical Volunteer
  • Soup Kitchen Volunteer: 270 hrs
  • Church Team Leader (taking care of ~20 college students each year): 1620 hrs
  • Church Leadership Trainer: 72hrs
  • (present) Co-Founder/VP of graduate school student organization (entrepreneurship): 75hrs
  • (present) Co-Founder/President of another graduate school student organization (health policy debate and discussion): 50hrs
Research
  • Translational Science Research Assistant: 1260 hrs
  • Medical Anthropology Research Assistant: 240 hrs
  • (present) Clinical Research Assistant & Research Operations Consultant: 100hrs

Scholarship:
  • 13 publications (1 translational research, 12 clinical research; (I am a first-author for two of the clinical research)
  • 2 Oral presentations in national conferences
  • 2 Oral presentations in regional conferences
  • 1 Workshop at current graduate school
  • 1 Paper Competition Award (this study was presented at national and regional)
  • Dean's List
For DO schools, I will be applying to:
  • Rowan SOM
  • Philadelphia COM
  • Chicago COM
  • NYIT COM
  • Touro NY
The thing is... I scheduled a new MCAT for the end of June, but I am wondering if I should just submit without this MCAT. I have been rejected by med schools in the past so I am a little worried about myself. What should I do? I would appreciate your input!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats but need to apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats but need to apply to more schools.
My state of residency is NY.
I am thinking about apply to DO schools without the new MCAT but will be applying to whole bunch of MD schools with the new MCAT.

Wait until you receive your new MCAT before applying to MD schools. Post your score here when available. Add a few more DO schools such as :
MU-COM
CUSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)

Wait until you receive your new MCAT before applying to MD schools. Post your score here when available. Add a few more DO schools such as :
MU-COM
CUSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)

Yes, I will wait for the new MCAT for MD schools. My FL3 MCAT was 515. I am hoping to work on UWorld to boost up. I assume it will stay around 515... hopefully.
For DO schools, should I just submit without the new MCAT scores?