This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHK2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am beginning my MSW in the fall and having SERIOUS doubts. I have worked in the mental healthcare field for over four years- a good deal of that time in case management roles, and I am feeling beyond burnt out. Even feeling bitter and taken advantage of by clients using our services. I’m not proud of this, and know that I need to address this burnout first and foremost and have been working on that quite a bit.

My biggest concern with beginning this program is the money. I get It we don’t go into this profession for the money and all that, but I feel like I’d like to have a good chance of making ends meet and paying off my student loans and saving for retirement without working a full time job and a part time job to supplement that. I’d like to have a work life balance or this absolutely isn’t worth it. I am looking at 100k TOTAL student loans from undergrad and grad school combined if I do this program. I’d like to hear from other social workers. Are the loans worth it? Do you make enough to have a good work life balance and feel prepared for the future?

I’d also like to hear from those who left social work or knew people that did? What are career paths you chose instead and why? How was that process and do you have any regrets?

Members don't see this ad.

100k for undergrad and graduate school? Seems a bit high, unless you attended a private university for undergrad and are planning on attending another private university for your MSW, in which case I would encourage you to look for public universities for the MSW.

Personally, the loans aren't worth it. Experiences may vary but for me undergrad and graduate school combined I came out with 0 debt (used the GI Bill).

Currently in the field getting the hours to take the exam for licensure, outlook looks positive and looking into teaching some intro psychology and counseling classes at my local community college.