Negotiation regarding PSLF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWayward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a CAP fellow currently interviewing with state hospitals. I plan to do PP on the side. The state hospitals pay around 335k with fairly good work life balance. Benefits are amazing. They also have PSLF but I gratefully do not have loan burden. I am wondering if It is possible to negotiate something extra if I do not need PSLF. Not sure if that comes across as greedy or bad form. I usually negotiate everything but do not feel super comfortable leveraging PSLF for gains. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

No.

PSLF is an indirect benefit. That is to say, it is not something they offer, or that costs them anything. It is simply an option because the federal government allows it if you work full time for a non-profit. If anything, not needing it would be an argument to pay you less, not more. The benefits in these positions are typically fixed and there is not much to negotiate in terms of salary and benefits since it's a government job.

Reactions: 2 users
No.

PSLF is an indirect benefit. That is to say, it is not something they offer, or that costs them anything. It is simply an option because the federal government allows it if you work full time for a non-profit. If anything, not needing it would be an argument to pay you less, not more. The benefits in these positions are typically fixed and there is not much to negotiate in terms of salary and benefits since it's a government job.
Thank you! That answered my question completely. Damn, I wonder if they will try to pay me less because I don't have loans. I already know their range and what the previous applicant got offered. I have a strong BATNA so overall in a good place. Really appreciate your help!

Thank you! That answered my question completely. Damn, I wonder if they will try to pay me less because I don't have loans. I already know their range and what the previous applicant got offered. I have a strong BATNA so overall in a good place. Really appreciate your help!
Pretend you have loans. Cry at the interview.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t worry about it if it’s a state hospital the salary ranges are fixed and they’re actually encouraged to offer at the high end of the scale (at least in California). I just wouldnt bring up anything about loans.

Lol they aren't going to pay anyone more or less because you have loans or not. People get paid based on how valuable they are. Just be glad you have one less worry than the rest of us had.

This is correct 9 times out of 10. I do know someone who was able to finagle a raise in base compensation and sign on bonus because the institution offered loan repayment through the institution itself. This wasn't a PSLF thing though.