nevada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vincvega

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there thinking about applying to Nevada as a back up? what do you think it takes to get in there?

Members don't see this ad.

No medical school can truly be considered to be "a backup," just FYI.

AStudent said:

thanks for the I. i know. i meant, in addition to any other schools. i only said that because people on this forum seem like they'd turn their noses up to a state school like nevada.

Members don't see this ad :)
vincvega said:
anyone out there thinking about applying to Nevada as a back up? what do you think it takes to get in there?

I think UNR is pretty strict with taking only Nevada residents, no? I have two friends from college (both NV residents) who go there. So I don't know if a lot of non-residents would even bother applying.

Getting into UNSOM as an out-of-state applicant is nearly impossible. They have a very, very strong preference to residents of Nevada or those who have ties to Nevada. I've heard of them actually discouraging out-of-state applicants. When I applied, I had to prove my residency through my driver's license, paycheck, insurance registration, etc. Crazy!

Also, I would not consider UNSOM as a back-up, for I know several people with good stats who did not get in. UNSOM particularly likes to see considerable clinical and life experience in their students, at least from my observations.

Good things about UNSOM: their class size is only 52, and the tuition is ridiculously low for residents. They also provide for a lot of early clinical exposure. Cons: very small campus, and the curriculum is lecture-intensive with letter grading. I'm not a huge fan or Reno either. I got in with a scholarship, but because of these cons I decided not to go.

NV Resident here. Looking at the MSAR, 147 Nevada residents applied and 158 of them got interviewed.

I have no idea what the hell that means. (OK, yes I do, but you can figure it out too.)

Of the 640 out of state students who applied, 10 were accepted (36 interviewed). I have no idea about their geography, but would imagine that they come from Western states.

With regards to Reno: If you like to ski/snowboard/backpack/go to lake Tahoe, or if you're over 21, then it's got plenty of stuff to do. If you like to stay indoors and continually check craigslist, you may become bored; the city's not very big, so it won't have enough 'Missed Connections' to keep you entertained.

It's harder than you think to get into Nevada, even as a resident. I think only like 30% of residents got in last year and their average stats are higher than those at the lesser public schools in Texas. I think it's cuz there's only 52 spaces and they're the only med school in the state. That said, I really wouldn't recommend going there. It's kind of a strange place....you'll see what I mean if you interview there. I guess some people might fit in, but you'll have to be a definite type of person to want to be there I think. Good luck!

AStudent said:

Any why is that?

getunconcsious said:
That said, I really wouldn't recommend going there. It's kind of a strange place....you'll see what I mean if you interview there. I guess some people might fit in, but you'll have to be a definite type of person to want to be there I think. Good luck!

Getunconscious: Will you explain this? I'd love to know what the UNR SOM 'vibe' is like.

Has anyone heard from UNR?

I haven't heard anything. It's the only school left that I don't have the 2nd for. I'm in kind of a weird residency situation. Grew up in Vegas since 3rd grade, but born in Cali. Went to cali for college, pay taxes, rent, drivers liscense, registered to vote, etc. My parents still live in Vegas so I figured I'd apply. Cali schools consider me in state, but will UNR consider me since my parents live there and I spent like 15 years of my life there? :confused: I wish cali was part of WICHE oh well...

StevenRF said:
I haven't heard anything. It's the only school left that I don't have the 2nd for. I'm in kind of a weird residency situation. Grew up in Vegas since 3rd grade, but born in Cali. Went to cali for college, pay taxes, rent, drivers liscense, registered to vote, etc. My parents still live in Vegas so I figured I'd apply. Cali schools consider me in state, but will UNR consider me since my parents live there and I spent like 15 years of my life there? :confused: I wish cali was part of WICHE oh well...

Well I'm sure the applicants from the WICHE states are pretty happy that California is not one. The whole point of WICHE is for those applicants to get a chance at schools close to home. If you raised the number of people who meet the criteria, this would be eliminated.

Good luck to all those applying.

Don't apply to UNR as a backup. I've heard they sometimes reject applicants they think are applying as a backup to kind of send a message. That's all hearsay though.

I applied as an instate resident with research experience, graduate school, and a very high MCAT and got rejected. My GPA was lower than avergage though. Just shows you that UNR is not an easy school to get in to. They are getting more competitive every year too.