2023-2024 Nevada - Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Nevada - Las Vegas Secondary Essay Prompts (250 word limit each)

1. Why are you interested in the Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV and how does your background and future goals contribute to our mission?

2. Briefly discuss how you envision yourself contributing to the care of our growing and diverse population in the state of Nevada.

3. Provide a BRIEF chronological list of your time since graduating from high school up to the point of applying to medical school. Do not write in essay form here. This should be a list by years.

(This field is not required.) You are welcome to share with the Admissions Committee any disruptions or impact to your application components, the application process, and/or your personal life (for example during COVID-19).

5. If you have any other information you believe is important for the Admissions Committee to consider, please include it here. Do not restate information already in your primary AMCAS application.
You may also explain you ties to Nevada with more detail in this box or any information related to academic/MCAT improvement and resiliency.

Thank you to @UNLV Admin 2 for being an active member of this thread! Please see the links they gave here: #15
to explain which Western states you should be from to be considered for UNLV and what are considered Nevada ties.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Nevada Las Vegas School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How receptive is UNLV to out of staters? (not west coast)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang that’s what I thought. No ties other than I visit Vegas frequently and always wanted to move there.
Spoken like a true tourist hah

As a native of Vegas (did not go to UNLV med school since I’m old), the two trips a year I take now are the sweet spot.

Hello Everyone and welcome to the 2023-2024 cycle for the Class of 2028 at the Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV. Our administrative team watches this forum each year periodically and tries to answer questions or clarify information. If anything is urgent, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected]

Our system will begin downloading from AMCAS July 1st for the 2023-2024 cycle.

Dang that’s what I thought. No ties other than I visit Vegas frequently and always wanted to move there.
If you do move here and gain residency you can apply! :) We have had applicants that do come to the state and apply once they've established their permanent residence.

If you do move here and gain residency you can apply! :) We have had applicants that do come to the state and apply once they've established their permanent residence.
Thank you for the replies. Unfortunate to not be able to go forward with UNLV, but I will continue to come visit your lovely state and who knows down the road :)!

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunate to not be able to go forward with UNLV, but I will continue to come visit your lovely state and who knows down the road :)!
We'll be here for residency!! Our GME programs have many specialties.

I live in a neighboring state but have ties to Nevada. Is that something I write about in a secondary essay or do I need to let the admissions office know?

Hello - so out of state that is not from our West Coast list, and has no qualifying ties, will not go to Secondary.
Hi there I am applying and my sister and other family members live in Las Vegas How do I let the admissions committee know that as it's not a part of the application?

Last edited:
I live in a neighboring state but have ties to Nevada. Is that something I write about in a secondary essay or do I need to let the admissions office know?
We'll see your legal residency from AMCAS and if it's a state from our western region list you'll be automatically eligible for secondary as long as you have the minimum MCAT and GPAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there I am applying and my sister and other family members live in Las Vegas How do I let the admissions committee know that as it's not a part of the application?
When we download applications on July 1st, you'll get a receipt email and it will have instructions on how to report a tie to Nevada, if you are not from a western region state, in order to get access to secondary application. The secondary application is where you would then provide details regarding any qualifying connections to Nevada per our website guidelines.

UPDATE: Due to an Office of Admissions software change, we will not be downloading AMCAS applications until the week of July 3rd. As soon as our data comes in, applicants will get email receipts that their AMCAS items have come into us. From there our system will assess the minimal qualifications for secondary and start sending invitations. Thank you for your patience.

UPDATE: Due to an Office of Admissions software change, we will not be downloading AMCAS applications until the week of July 3rd. As soon as our data comes in, applicants will get email receipts that their AMCAS items have come into us. From there our system will assess the minimal qualifications for secondary and start sending invitations. Thank you for your patience.
Thanks, UNLV admin.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS secondary received @wysdoc

1. Why are you interested in the Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV and how does your background and future goals contribute to our mission?

2. Briefly discuss how you envision yourself contributing to the care of our growing and diverse population in the state of Nevada.

3. Provide a BRIEF chronological list of your time since graduating from high school up to the point of applying to medical school. Do not write in essay form here. This should be a list by years.

4.You are welcome to share with the Admissions Committee any disruptions or impact to your application components, the application process, and/or your personal life (for example during COVID-19). This field is not required.

5. If you have any other information you believe is important for the Admissions Committee to consider, please include it here. Do not restate information already in your primary AMCAS application.

You may also explain you tie to Nevada with more detail in this box or any information related to academic/MCAT improvement and resiliency.

All 250 words.

Hi, UNLV admin. I received the secondary application and I have a question. For the "Nevada Residency: Primary Family Member's Current Nevada Address" section, should I list my uncle's/aunt's address here because I do not live in Nevada?

Hi, UNLV admin. I received the secondary application and I have a question. For the "Nevada Residency: Primary Family Member's Current Nevada Address" section, should I list my uncle's/aunt's address here because I do not live in Nevada?
That is correct - if you have a Tier 1 or Tier 2 tie, please list that connection's permanent/full-time residence information in that box.

OOS secondary received @wysdoc

4.You are welcome to share with the Admissions Committee any disruptions or impact to your application components, the application process, and/or your personal life (for example during COVID-19). This field is not required.

You may also explain you tie to Nevada with more detail in this box or any information related to academic/MCAT improvement and resiliency.

All 250 words.
Reapplicants will also see an additional question to describe their activities/improvements since their last application.

We have reworded the header of the field that asks for your Tier 1 or Tier 2 Nevada connection's address to help make this form entry clearer. Thank you for asking your questions and giving us real time feedback. This year's secondary form/portal area is also a part of our new platform and we're so excited to have it be the best applicant experience as possible.

Does anyone have tips on Q#3? I'm not sure how to make a "brief" list, or how to make it look remotely "pretty", when I have my 15 activities already described on AMCAS + additional activities I was unable to write about (all with different/overlapping years). Does UNLV just want a description of activities NOT already listed on AMCAS?
Wondering about this too. I don’t know.

Does anyone have tips on Q#3? I'm not sure how to make a "brief" list, or how to make it look remotely "pretty", when I have my 15 activities already described on AMCAS + additional activities I was unable to write about (all with different/overlapping years). Does UNLV just want a description of activities NOT already listed on AMCAS?
You definitely don't have to overthink this one too much. It's hard for our Admissions Committee to piece together a journey sometimes cause experiences can be in various phases. All we're looking for is a summary just starting from after high school. The example on the question is exactly what we're looking for. Just year ranges and a short description, they can overlap of what you've done as well. It's probably almost like a resume style idea where you're simply mapping out the back to back phases of what you've been doing. (School, Work, Major Experiences, Gap Activities if applicable, etc.) They're just looking to be able to see the continuity of your journey in a quick read. Hope that helps!
Example:
2008-2012: Attended College at Institution Name;
2012: Completed bachelor's degree;
2013-2015: Worked at XYZ Inc.;
2016: Service trip to Venezuela;
2017-2019: Worked as a barista at Super Coffee;
Present: EMT Boulder City Fire

We have reworded the header of the field that asks for your Tier 1 or Tier 2 Nevada connection's address to help make this form entry clearer. Thank you for asking your questions and giving us real time feedback. This year's secondary form/portal area is also a part of our new platform and we're so excited to have it be the best applicant experience as possible.
How do I prove my ties to Nevada via Tier 2: aunt? None of us were born here, so we don't have birth certificates to show that we are family. I have not received secondaries yet (OOS: California), but I want to have everything ready in case I need anything.

How do I prove my ties to Nevada via Tier 2: aunt? None of us were born here, so we don't have birth certificates to show that we are family. I have not received secondaries yet (OOS: California), but I want to have everything ready in case I need anything.
They have a place for you to enter their address, name(s), etc.

California is an approved Western Region so if you have a qualifying MCAT and GPAs you should get an invitation to secondary where you can input the ties to Nevada. If you need us to look at your record, please email us at [email protected] and include your AMCAS ID#.

Anyone with updates to II status?
We don't start inviting to interview for a few more weeks. Our actual interview cycle this year will be starting in September (a few weeks later than in past cycles). We will do invitations to interview mid-August through usually December, so it's an ongoing process.

• Care
We don't start inviting to interview for a few more weeks. Our actual interview cycle this year will be starting in September (a few weeks later than in past cycles). We will do invitations to interview mid-August through usually December, so it's an ongoing process.
Thank you for the information! < 3

Do Nevada residents and those out of state with ties fall under the same applicant type in terms of the pools they are accepted out of or are those who are Nevada residents looked at from their own tier?

Do Nevada residents and those out of state with ties fall under the same applicant type in terms of the pools they are accepted out of or are those who are Nevada residents looked at from their own tier?
Current Nevada residents have highest priority and reside in their own sub-pool, but they're very quickly followed by the Nevada Connection sub-pool. Usually direct connection (like a NV high school graduate who moved and has become a resident out of state) and the Tier 1 family connections pace just a hair faster than Tier 2 family connections in regard to file review for interview. Western region (no ties) would be our final sub-pool. From an admissions standpoint it can be a similar consideration - especially when candidates have similar competitive components, but committee truly does look at a file from many different aspects (beyond just residency for our application) once a candidate interviews in order to truly align offers with our mission and school. Hope that helps!

How many applicants typically get offered an acceptance? Also, does UNLV have any plans to expand their seats with the new building and by how much?

How often are interview invitations sent out and around how many students receive invitations at a time?

How many applicants typically get offered an acceptance? Also, does UNLV have any plans to expand their seats with the new building and by how much?
We can go as high as 100+ offers to fill our 66 seats. We did already go from 60 to 66 and at this time will not be increasing the seats until our next accreditation site visit as another jump requires review/approval from the LCME. The long term goal is be at 90 seats, but that does not have a set timeframe. Our next accreditation site visit will either be late 2024 or 2025. We are seating for 66 this cycle.

How often are interview invitations sent out and around how many students receive invitations at a time?
We interview 300 per AMCAS cycle. The invitations are sent in no set schedule or amount. It's just as the review team can move through files and assessment is done and seats are filling. We offer interview invitations between now all the way through late December/early January. For more information visit: Admission Selection Process and Timeline

When do OOS II's come out?
There is not set timeframe for that primarily cause Nevada and Nevada Connection pool size and quality varies from year to year so movement through the pools also varies for invitation, but if I had to estimate I'd say November/December if you're someone that does not have a tie to Nevada (so western region, no tie). Out of state with ties will be before that.

still haven’t received a secondary. OOS but in California. Acknowledgement of primary 8/16

Regarding the secondary, there's a Y/N question "Have you previously attended professional school?".

I selected "yes" because I did my bachelor's degree in nursing, but it then says "If Yes, select the type of graduate professional school(s) attended.", and nursing is not even listed as an option, so if I were to list it, I would have to select "other" and then type it out.

Just seeking some input on this because the initial question only says professional school but the follow-up designates graduate professional school. Technically since it was my bachelor's degree, I wouldn't typically consider it to be a graduate program by any means. If it was in the original question I would have selected "no" to begin with. Not sure which way to go about answering this.

How long after interview do you start to making acceptance offer?

Regarding the secondary, there's a Y/N question "Have you previously attended professional school?".

I selected "yes" because I did my bachelor's degree in nursing, but it then says "If Yes, select the type of graduate professional school(s) attended.", and nursing is not even listed as an option, so if I were to list it, I would have to select "other" and then type it out.

Just seeking some input on this because the initial question only says professional school but the follow-up designates graduate professional school. Technically since it was my bachelor's degree, I wouldn't typically consider it to be a graduate program by any means. If it was in the original question I would have selected "no" to begin with. Not sure which way to go about answering this.
Hi! Nursing is not a professional degree. (From a fellow BSN)

Unless it’s a masters of nursing possibly? I’m not positive on that. However, I selected “No.” hope that helps in any way.

Hi! Nursing is not a professional degree. (From a fellow BSN)

Unless it’s a masters of nursing possibly? I’m not positive on that. However, I selected “No.” hope that helps in any way.
That certainly helps! Gets a bit confusing when some applications group together professional degree and training for health professionals (i.e. AACOMAS), but it makes sense in this case that it would be referring to graduate programs.

Nursing is not professional school at the undergraduate level - this would be graduate study such as another medical school, dental, law, pharm, etc.