Quantcast

New AADSAS conversion scale for Canadians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Many Canadian universities use number grades for their students and in the past, AADSAS used each school's conversion format to allow students to enter equivalent numerical grades. This year, AADSAS updated their application and asked students to enter a percentage grade instead - update: http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/GoDental/The_Application_to_Dental_School_ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASGPAGuideRevisedJanuary2017.pdf

I've called them and they said that they would require you to enter numerical grades instead and the conversion from percentages to ABCD grades are horrendous.

My first year's classes had most students class averages at 65-72. The entire science faculty first year students would have an average gpa of 1.5 under this new rule. I was quite a few standard deviations above the average and yet my GPA under the new rules for first year would be a 3.2. My school did not allow professors to have class averages above 75 and asked them to keep the class averages between 65-75 which again causes the AVERAGE GPA to be 1.5. Under this new rule, less than half a percent of graduating class would even meet the minimums of dental school in America.

Are there any Canadians who has any news regarding this?

Steins;Gate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow so AADSAS does not want you to convert your % to letter grades that your home institution would equate a % to a letter but rather AADSAS will use the scale you provided in the PDF to convert to letter grades and then to GPA?

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow so AADSAS does not want you to convert your % to letter grades that your home institution would equate a % to a letter but rather AADSAS will use the scale you provided in the PDF to convert to letter grades and then to GPA?

Yes. Thats what I understood from the conversation I had with a rep and the pdf. They pushed the point that is is the new system and the new way to do it. Its really frustrating as I graduated with honors and distinction ...dean's list...etc. In this new ruling, I dont believe I know anyone that can get a gpa of above a 3.5 in Canada. Half your grades are in the 90s when the class average is in the 60s to get a 3.5 and apply as an international student? No chance.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you considering Ireland or Australian schools?

No. I want to work in America, a place where a lot of people aspire to live in, in the future. I just didnt expect graduating with honours, distinction, and Masters with what my school considers a 3.9 and much higher than my peers would be put me at a 3.04 in America. Also, I want marriage/kids as Im 26, but that means I finish dental school in Australia at 31 and it puts alot of my life on hold as my family resides in N. America.

I have wanted to be a dentist for quite some time but may have to switch to medical school if that means I wont leave my family for another continent. Every other health professional school has better conversions for Canadians:
The only silver lining after the rep said that no matter where I went to school, I have to input the numerical grades is one line in an outdated FAQ page which says: "Please note that there are different conversions for numeric grades depending on attendance at a U.S. or Canadian institution."

asdf99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely brutal...

Guess I'll be focusing my efforts on Canada and Australia then!!

asdf99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No. I want to work in America, a place where a lot of people aspire to live in, in the future. I just didnt expect graduating with honours, distinction, and Masters with what my school considers a 3.9 and much higher than my peers would be put me at a 3.04 in America. Also, I want marriage/kids as Im 26, but that means I finish dental school in Australia at 31 and it puts alot of my life on hold as my family resides in N. America.

I have wanted to be a dentist for quite some time but may have to switch to medical school if that means I wont leave my family for another continent. Every other health professional school has better conversions for Canadians:
The only silver lining after the rep said that no matter where I went to school, I have to input the numerical grades is one line in an outdated FAQ page which says: "Please note that there are different conversions for numeric grades depending on attendance at a U.S. or Canadian institution."

Are those GPAs in your description on a Canadian scale ? (Such as OMSAS?)

If so, you will probably be competitive at some Canadian Schools

My school doesn't give out percentages, even in the official transcript. They just give letter grades... What will happen in my case?

Winner32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused.

1. A+ doesn't = 4.33 anymore?

2. Are you sure a student who has say an 87% avg on their transcript still has their gpa converted to B and than 3.0? That really stupid if true. I don't think it affects me since my transcript has letter grades.

3. Wouldn't everyone be affected by the removal of A+??

I'm confused.

2. Are you sure a student who has say an 87% avg on their transcript still has their gpa converted to B and than 3.0? That really stupid if true. I don't think it affects me since my transcript has letter grades.

Bro if that was the case then my gpa TANKS from a 3.97 to a 3.1 lmfao... im calling to see what the hell happenedd

Winner32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bro if that was the case then my gpa TANKS from a 3.97 to a 3.1 lmfao... im calling to see what the hell happenedd

I know dude! I honestly don't think that's how it'll work. Achieving an 85% + average in canada is hard, so no way it should be viewed as a B...

kiram

Reaction score
RIP to any students who go to a university which gives percentages on transcripts...

Reactions: 2 users

SmileItsLife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It always been 85%=B=3.0 ...............in the USA.

I didn't know that Canada's system was so different. This defiantly makes me second look Canadian average applicant statistics in Canadian dental schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

SmileItsLife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused.

87% in the USA is usually seen as a B+ or a 3.33. I'm not sure how this would affect you though if you transcript like most just includes a letter grade.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because our class average is in the 60s which under your rules is 1.0 for most first years.
It always been 85%=B=3.0 ...............in the USA.

I didn't know that Canada's system was so different. This defiantly makes me second look Canadian average applicant statistics in Canadian dental schools.

Every other admissions body including medical recognizes this. If you look at the people affected, we have above average GPAs and dats that reflect this so stop being holier than thou.

Winner32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because our class average is in the 60s which under your rules is 1.0 for most first years.

Every other admissions body including medical recognizes this. If you look at the people affected, we have above average GPAs and dats that reflect this so stop being holier than thou.

I don't think he/she was suggesting Americans are more superior, just isn't familiar with the Canadian grading system. But ya those with letter grades on their transcript should be fine. The ones with % shown only may run into some trouble, as a 85+% average in better severd applying to Canadian schools than having it viewed as B in the states.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think he/she was suggesting Americans are more superior, just isn't familiar with the Canadian grading system. But ya those with letter grades on their transcript should be fine. The ones with % shown only may run into some trouble, as a 85+% average in better severd applying to Canadian schools than having it viewed as B in the states.

I clearly explained the difference in grades in Canada. It's frustrating to see someone offer no help except to be ignorant.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
butthurt? Time to change your signature from "cGPA:3.90" to "cGPA: 3.04" buddy

Edit: Wow. Dont let me make you jelly, let me inspire you. One day if you work real hard.. you could almost be me ;)

PS: Ur right my GPA is wrong... found out today my science GPA is 3.93 lol. thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so you're saying canadian's arent affected? :D

Nope. Just use the conversion they've been using for years for Canadians and we're all set.

@kiram No one needs your attitude here, go be "butthurt" somewhere else.

Misery loves company. People with 4.0 GPAs wont troll the internet and put down someone with a 3.9 to feel better about themselves. Those with esteem issues, low grades, and high aspirations however...

Winner32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nope. Just use the conversion they've been using for years for Canadians and we're all set.

Misery loves company. People with 4.0 GPAs wont troll the internet and put down someone with a 3.9 to feel better about themselves. Those with esteem issues, low grades, and high aspirations however...

That "miserable" person already got accepted to dental school....don't ever play yourself

Members don't see this ad :)

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That "miserable" person already got accepted to dental school....don't ever play yourself

He was trolling? He just had a personal statement done?

don't ever play yourself

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
lol why are you assuming he got into the States.

I never said he didnt get in. You did? So.... yeah...

Also I feel like I hit a sore spot. lol....

Last edited:

Winner32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

you're not even making sense. I said he got in already...You're implying he is jealous of your stats and has low grades when he could care less since he got into dental school already. If anything you're being the sensitive one. You have a amazing gpa yet seem to be the most worried amongst canadians smh

kiram

Reaction score

Can we forget about this? Lol. My apologies, I was under the impression that you were insulting my friend (winner32) but after writing the post I realized it was to another person hence why I edited the post. Another reminder for me that we should becareful with what we post online.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we forget about this? Lol. My apologies, I was under the impression that you were insulting my friend (winner32) but after writing the post I realized it was to another person hence why I edited the post. Another reminder for me that we should becareful with what we post online.

I supported your friend and said that lower GPA Canadians shouldnt just not apply to USA in another thread even though it didnt apply to me. That was the only interaction Ive had with ur friend till now....so that's kind of ironic.
Apology accepted though. Lets just move on :)

DentEngineer

Reaction score
Many Canadian universities use number grades for their students and in the past, AADSAS used each school's conversion format to allow students to enter equivalent numerical grades. This year, AADSAS updated their application and asked students to enter a percentage grade instead - update: http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/GoDental/The_Application_to_Dental_School_ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASGPAGuideRevisedJanuary2017.pdf

I've called them and they said that they would require you to enter numerical grades instead and the conversion from percentages to ABCD grades are horrendous.

My first year's classes had most students class averages at 65-72. The entire science faculty first year students would have an average gpa of 1.5 under this new rule. I was quite a few standard deviations above the average and yet my GPA under the new rules for first year would be a 3.2. My school did not allow professors to have class averages above 75 and asked them to keep the class averages between 65-75 which again causes the AVERAGE GPA to be 1.5. Under this new rule, less than half a percent of graduating class would even meet the minimums of dental school in America.

Are there any Canadians who has any news regarding this?

I thought this thread was very interesting, and asked my Canadian co-workers at my work. I work in Detroit area, and my company has a lot of Canadian engineers from Windsor, Waterloo, Toronto, etc.
According to my Canadian co-workers, 80+ is considered "A" in Canadian institutions. I asked one co-worker who did bachelor's in Canada and did Master's in the states, and he told me that getting ~90 in US institution is similar to getting ~80 in Canadian institution in terms of difficulty.

I looked into this further on this website
Academic history : GoDental
and this is what it says,

ADEA AADSAS Grade: Enter the grade exactly as it appears on the official transcript. Once a grade is entered, ADEA AADSAS automatically converts it to the equivalent in for ADEA AADSAS. This section allows ADEA AADSAS to standardize transcripts for the dental schools and this box cannot be edited. The charts which detail how grade conversions work can be viewed by clicking here. Please note that there are different conversions for numeric grades depending on attendance at a U.S. or Canadian institution.

Last edited:

pf1996

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me whats happening? Very lost in this thread

dentistkoala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=" Please note that there are different conversions for numeric grades depending on attendance at a U.S. or Canadian institution.[/QUOTE]

Do they specify what the different conversions are???

tiper15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=" Please note that there are different conversions for numeric grades depending on attendance at a U.S. or Canadian institution.

Do they specify what the different conversions are???[/QUOTE]
Basically an 80 in Canada is an A-, but I believe it's a B- in the US.