You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
New Dental School: High Point University
Started by thetoothdiaries
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This is the announcement from last year. HPU Announces New Dentistry School, Dean, Facility and Hundreds of New Jobs | High Point University. We'll see what the curriculum they are proposing is all about with making things highly individualized.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious, lmao.I think a new dental school should probably be a last resort after 2-3 failed cycles
Thanks. already saw this on the website!This is the announcement from last year. HPU Announces New Dentistry School, Dean, Facility and Hundreds of New Jobs | High Point University. We'll see what the curriculum they are proposing is all about with making things highly individualized.
I think a few posters went to the ADEA GoDental Fair last Saturday. I'm wondering if anyone dropped by the HPU booth? They should be available at the virtual fair.
Another new dental school...
Big Hoss
Big Hoss
D
deleted903013
Something tells me they won't have a reasonable tuition either
homunculusus
Full Member
Their undergrad costs $60k/yr so I can only assume the dental school will be $120k+ minimumSomething tells me they won't have a reasonable tuition either
More work bees for corporate dentistry, then again there are a lot of rich parents with dumb kids who'd gladly pay $600k for their precious child to be a dentist
its $82k :\Their undergrad costs $60k/yr so I can only assume the dental school will be $120k+ minimum
More work bees for corporate dentistry, then again there are a lot of rich parents with dumb kids who'd gladly pay $600k for their precious child to be a dentist
With living costs, at least 100k/yr.its $82k :\
Most new grad dentists do not make that much after taxes, and after student loan payments you are really struggling
homunculusus
Full Member
Some medical schools cost less than that for all 4 years, including COL. Some states schools and even private schools cost that (in total) with scholarships and what not. $400k+ is criminal. I will owe $300k+ from med school but that's because I've made some poor financial decisions, multiple degrees, maxing out to live a relaxed life but I know what's in store for me. At the same time I will remain in my state (high af salaries and low COL). Most of my classmates will owe $200-250kits $82k :\
They literally try to justify their $82.5k tuition by saying average private dental school is $87k... lol. I also suspect another $15-$20k in fees, $20-$25k in COL. $500k not including interest... wow
at least its not as much as USC where I think its 100k? jk but no really though its quite insane LOLSome medical schools cost less than that for all 4 years, including COL. Some states schools and even private schools cost that (in total) with scholarships and what not. $400k+ is criminal. I will owe $300k+ from med school but that's because I've made some poor financial decisions, multiple degrees, maxing out to live a relaxed life but I know what's in store for me. At the same time I will remain in my state (high af salaries and low COL). Most of my classmates will owe $200-250k
They literally try to justify their $82.5k tuition by saying average private dental school is $87k... lol. I also suspect another $15-$20k in fees, $20-$25k in COL. $500k not including interest... wow
homunculusus
Full Member
USC is $120k tuition + $30k COL. Definitely insane but I suspect a lot of those kids have rich parents (think debt free dentists who own a few clinics) and pay cash. At least that's what I've seen - know a few people who go there and tell me many of their classmates pay in cash and drive around in $100k BMWsat least its not as much as USC where I think its 100k? jk but no really though its quite insane LOL
WHAT!!!!! LOL that's so insane to know that there are people out there with that kinda money!!! :')USC is $120k tuition + $30k COL. Definitely insane but I suspect a lot of those kids have rich parents (think debt free dentists who own a few clinics) and pay cash. At least that's what I've seen - know a few people who go there and tell me many of their classmates pay in cash and drive around in $100k BMWs
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow no dat required. That’s pretty crazy.
For anyone applying to High Point Uni, since they opened their apps I started filling out the app and it asks about family background/individuals (parents, cousins, etc.). What are you all adding to the title of the entry? I really don't know how to label some of these experiences.
Are you applying to any other schools this year? 🙂For anyone applying to High Point Uni, since they opened their apps I started filling out the app and it asks about family background/individuals (parents, cousins, etc.). What are you all adding to the title of the entry? I really don't know how to label some of these experiences.
I just added my mother and father's job descriptions. My mother is a seamstress and my father is an engineer. Did you submit your app already?For anyone applying to High Point Uni, since they opened their apps I started filling out the app and it asks about family background/individuals (parents, cousins, etc.). What are you all adding to the title of the entry? I really don't know how to label some of these experiences.
I havent submitted yet. I guess I'm a bit confused bc you can only add the title of their position. Unless, did u just include the title and your relationship to the person?I just added my mother and father's job descriptions. My mother is a seamstress and my father is an engineer. Did you submit your app already?
This is exactly what I did. I followed the format of how the HPU application instructions did it as close as possible. I replied to your DM so if you still have questions feel free to reach out to me. I was going to reach out to admissions but I found that PDF document and just tried to make my application match that as much as possible.I havent submitted yet. I guess I'm a bit confused bc you can only add the title of their position. Unless, did u just include the title and your relationship to the person?
Hi, what do you think of this new school, is it like a carrbean school?This is exactly what I did. I followed the format of how the HPU application instructions did it as close as possible. I replied to your DM so if you still have questions feel free to reach out to me. I was going to reach out to admissions but I found that PDF document and just tried to make my application match that as much as possible.
Very likely it was to happen. I’ll be surprised if they even open in 2024 tbh🤷🏽♀️I heard High Point moved their opening back to 2024 today, not surprised.
Verified on website: Workman School of Dental Medicine - Workman School of Dental Medicine
what ya mean? what schools you aplying to?Very likely it was to happen. I’ll be surprised if they even open in 2024 tbh🤷🏽♀️
what ya mean not surprised?I heard High Point moved their opening back to 2024 today, not surprised.
What I mean is that the school was already rushing to get it up and going and with no requirements for anything... ill be surprised if it even opens in 2024.what ya mean? what schools you aplying to?
I am not applying as I am already attending a school starting next month.
HPU Workman School of Dentistry is going to blow the roof off dental education as it is known today. This committee of seasoned dental educators sat down and composed a list of all of the things they hated about dental school education and designed their school and curriculum to eliminate these and improve on the clinical / practice model. The Dean of HPU Dental is Dr. DeRossi. He was the former Dean of Chapel Hill Dental School. One of the Nations most respected institutions. Dr. Ali is a Harvard trained Oral Med specialist well respected and admired in academia. These men know what they're doing. They have a long track record of success.
Some points to be eliminated form typical education:
First year students will not spend countless hours in long boring lecture halls, instead they will rotate through local hospitals and study oral medicine, pathology, neurology etc...with hands on experience.
Nothing worse in dental school than receiving a lower grade than a colleague simply because they got the "Dr. Easygrader" while you were stuck with "Dr. Perfection", even though you know your work was better. HPU has removed the Subjectivity in grading by using SIMODONT training system. Home - Simodont Dental Trainer - Taking away limits in dental education
Like medical students, dental students will now follow the medical training model. There will not be a large building where all patients come for care. Instead, students will practice in community based, state of the art, dental offices throughout their entire four years, learning not only how to provide dental care, but also how to refer to specialists, work directly with assistants in four handed dentistry, and some of the intricacies of successful practice management.
Digital dentistry will be the primary focus of dental education. When you graduate from Workman School of Dentistry you will not be prepared for dentistry the way it's practiced today, but the way it will be practiced tomorrow!
HPU Workman School of Dentistry will provide and Exceptional Education, in Exceptional Facilities, by Exceptional Faculty to Exceptional Students. Before anyone starts bashing HPU, I suggest you visit the school and check it out for yourself!
Some points to be eliminated form typical education:
First year students will not spend countless hours in long boring lecture halls, instead they will rotate through local hospitals and study oral medicine, pathology, neurology etc...with hands on experience.
Nothing worse in dental school than receiving a lower grade than a colleague simply because they got the "Dr. Easygrader" while you were stuck with "Dr. Perfection", even though you know your work was better. HPU has removed the Subjectivity in grading by using SIMODONT training system. Home - Simodont Dental Trainer - Taking away limits in dental education
Like medical students, dental students will now follow the medical training model. There will not be a large building where all patients come for care. Instead, students will practice in community based, state of the art, dental offices throughout their entire four years, learning not only how to provide dental care, but also how to refer to specialists, work directly with assistants in four handed dentistry, and some of the intricacies of successful practice management.
Digital dentistry will be the primary focus of dental education. When you graduate from Workman School of Dentistry you will not be prepared for dentistry the way it's practiced today, but the way it will be practiced tomorrow!
HPU Workman School of Dentistry will provide and Exceptional Education, in Exceptional Facilities, by Exceptional Faculty to Exceptional Students. Before anyone starts bashing HPU, I suggest you visit the school and check it out for yourself!
HPU Workman School of Dentistry is going to blow the roof off dental education as it is known today. This committee of seasoned dental educators sat down and composed a list of all of the things they hated about dental school education and designed their school and curriculum to eliminate these and improve on the clinical / practice model. The Dean of HPU Dental is Dr. DeRossi. He was the former Dean of Chapel Hill Dental School. One of the Nations most respected institutions. Dr. Ali is a Harvard trained Oral Med specialist well respected and admired in academia. These men know what they're doing. They have a long track record of success.
Some points to be eliminated form typical education:
First year students will not spend countless hours in long boring lecture halls, instead they will rotate through local hospitals and study oral medicine, pathology, neurology etc...with hands on experience.
Nothing worse in dental school than receiving a lower grade than a colleague simply because they got the "Dr. Easygrader" while you were stuck with "Dr. Perfection", even though you know your work was better. HPU has removed the Subjectivity in grading by using SIMODONT training system. Home - Simodont Dental Trainer - Taking away limits in dental education
Like medical students, dental students will now follow the medical training model. There will not be a large building where all patients come for care. Instead, students will practice in community based, state of the art, dental offices throughout their entire four years, learning not only how to provide dental care, but also how to refer to specialists, work directly with assistants in four handed dentistry, and some of the intricacies of successful practice management.
Digital dentistry will be the primary focus of dental education. When you graduate from Workman School of Dentistry you will not be prepared for dentistry the way it's practiced today, but the way it will be practiced tomorrow!
HPU Workman School of Dentistry will provide and Exceptional Education, in Exceptional Facilities, by Exceptional Faculty to Exceptional Students. Before anyone starts bashing HPU, I suggest you visit the school and check it out for yourself!
Honestly nice to see them trying to teach a different way with their CARE model. Especially interesting to see the entrepreneurship side during your D3 year. Plus, the ability to do rotations in areas you are interested in (Ortho, Endo, OS, Pedo, etc.). It sounds like a pretty good program minus the costs lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HPU Workman School of Dentistry is going to blow the roof off dental education as it is known today. This committee of seasoned dental educators sat down and composed a list of all of the things they hated about dental school education and designed their school and curriculum to eliminate these and improve on the clinical / practice model. The Dean of HPU Dental is Dr. DeRossi. He was the former Dean of Chapel Hill Dental School. One of the Nations most respected institutions. Dr. Ali is a Harvard trained Oral Med specialist well respected and admired in academia. These men know what they're doing. They have a long track record of success.
Some points to be eliminated form typical education:
First year students will not spend countless hours in long boring lecture halls, instead they will rotate through local hospitals and study oral medicine, pathology, neurology etc...with hands on experience.
Nothing worse in dental school than receiving a lower grade than a colleague simply because they got the "Dr. Easygrader" while you were stuck with "Dr. Perfection", even though you know your work was better. HPU has removed the Subjectivity in grading by using SIMODONT training system. Home - Simodont Dental Trainer - Taking away limits in dental education
Like medical students, dental students will now follow the medical training model. There will not be a large building where all patients come for care. Instead, students will practice in community based, state of the art, dental offices throughout their entire four years, learning not only how to provide dental care, but also how to refer to specialists, work directly with assistants in four handed dentistry, and some of the intricacies of successful practice management.
Digital dentistry will be the primary focus of dental education. When you graduate from Workman School of Dentistry you will not be prepared for dentistry the way it's practiced today, but the way it will be practiced tomorrow!
HPU Workman School of Dentistry will provide and Exceptional Education, in Exceptional Facilities, by Exceptional Faculty to Exceptional Students. Before anyone starts bashing HPU, I suggest you visit the school and check it out for yourself!
cool story, bro...
lagermanic
Full Member
HPU Workman School of Dentistry is going to blow the roof off dental education as it is known today. This committee of seasoned dental educators sat down and composed a list of all of the things they hated about dental school education and designed their school and curriculum to eliminate these and improve on the clinical / practice model. The Dean of HPU Dental is Dr. DeRossi. He was the former Dean of Chapel Hill Dental School. One of the Nations most respected institutions. Dr. Ali is a Harvard trained Oral Med specialist well respected and admired in academia. These men know what they're doing. They have a long track record of success.
Some points to be eliminated form typical education:
First year students will not spend countless hours in long boring lecture halls, instead they will rotate through local hospitals and study oral medicine, pathology, neurology etc...with hands on experience.
Nothing worse in dental school than receiving a lower grade than a colleague simply because they got the "Dr. Easygrader" while you were stuck with "Dr. Perfection", even though you know your work was better. HPU has removed the Subjectivity in grading by using SIMODONT training system. Home - Simodont Dental Trainer - Taking away limits in dental education
Like medical students, dental students will now follow the medical training model. There will not be a large building where all patients come for care. Instead, students will practice in community based, state of the art, dental offices throughout their entire four years, learning not only how to provide dental care, but also how to refer to specialists, work directly with assistants in four handed dentistry, and some of the intricacies of successful practice management.
Digital dentistry will be the primary focus of dental education. When you graduate from Workman School of Dentistry you will not be prepared for dentistry the way it's practiced today, but the way it will be practiced tomorrow!
HPU Workman School of Dentistry will provide and Exceptional Education, in Exceptional Facilities, by Exceptional Faculty to Exceptional Students. Before anyone starts bashing HPU, I suggest you visit the school and check it out for yourself!
HPU automated bot reply
Nope...I'm not a bot...I'm better looking 🙂HPU automated bot reply
But you’re still an HPU employee. This much is certain.Nope...I'm not a bot...I'm better looking 🙂
Big Hoss
Nope! You shouldn't assume...you know what they say. I'm just a person pointing out some of the trend setting plans for a new dental education program. Sorry if that bothers you.But you’re still an HPU employee. This much is certain.
Big Hoss
No sane person would create an SDN account and post what you posted as your first post without being an employee. Fact.Nope! You shouldn't assume...you know what they say. I'm just a person pointing out some of the trend setting plans for a new dental education program. Sorry if that bothers you.
Big Hoss
You're Wrong! Fact! I'd expect a Navy dentist to be a little more astute than to assume! Disappointing!No sane person would create an SDN account and post what you posted as your first post without being an employee. Fact.
Big Hoss
The only other rational explanation is you work for USC or NYU and this is an elaborate ruse to deflect my ire.You're Wrong! Fact! I'd expect a Navy dentist to be a little more astute than to assume! Disappointing!
Big Hoss
BHA HA HA Haaaaa!!! Cumon' shipmate...get it together!The only other rational explanation is you work for USC or NYU and this is an elaborate ruse to deflect my ire.
Big Hoss
lagermanic
Full Member
Sounds like something a bot would sayBHA HA HA Haaaaa!!! Cumon' shipmate...get it together!
This is more entertaining than watching two first graders arguing.
But you’re still an HPU employee. This much is certain.
Big Hoss
I agree with you.
How else would you justify the insane tuition? They want to do something novel and game changing? try lowering tuition.
HPU is cheaper than other schools such as U of Penn and Harvard....why isn't anyone rallying against those??? It's all relative to your preference and ability to pay. Sure a cheaper school will get you where you need to go just as a VW bug will get you cross country...the question is, how do you wan to travel? Some think a Ferrari are a waste of money when you can get a Ford to get you to the same destination. Some think Ferrari is a waste of money while others think it is money well spent....I agree with you.
How else would you justify the insane tuition? They want to do something novel and game changing? try lowering tuition.
brand new, unproven d school is =/= to a ferrari...HPU is cheaper than other schools such as U of Penn and Harvard....why isn't anyone rallying against those??? It's all relative to your preference and ability to pay. Sure a cheaper school will get you where you need to go just as a VW bug will get you cross country...the question is, how do you wan to travel? Some think a Ferrari are a waste of money when you can get a Ford to get you to the same destination. Some think Ferrari is a waste of money while others think it is money well spent....
And some would love to own that first built, unproven Ferrari....it's all relative to a persons sense of value and perspective.brand new, unproven d school is =/= to a ferrari...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lolAnd some would love to own that first built, unproven Ferrari....it's all relative to a persons sense of value and perspective.
goalposts moved...
Clearly you’re new to SDN…HPU is cheaper than other schools such as U of Penn and Harvard....why isn't anyone rallying against those?
Big Hoss
yeah, because he would know it's because they are "prestigious"...Clearly you’re new to SDN…
Big Hoss
I posted the following all the way back in 2016:Clearly you’re new to SDN…
Big Hoss
“Please allow me to rephrase your question. Would you rather go to, let's say, the University of Pennsylvania and drive a rusted out 1989 Toyota Camry, or go to, perhaps, "The" Ohio State University and drive a Lamborghini Huracán fresh out of Sant'Agata Bolognese, Italy? The really sad thing is that option two would still be cheaper. If you're smart enough to get into an Ivy League dental school, you should be smart enough not to go to an Ivy League dental school.”
Big Hoss
The facts espoused by BigTimeHoosier are simply unmatchedI posted the following all the way back in 2016:
“Please allow me to rephrase your question. Would you rather go to, let's say, the University of Pennsylvania and drive a rusted out 1989 Toyota Camry, or go to, perhaps, "The" Ohio State University and drive a Lamborghini Huracán fresh out of Sant'Agata Bolognese, Italy? The really sad thing is that option two would still be cheaper. If you're smart enough to get into an Ivy League dental school, you should be smart enough not to go to an Ivy League dental school.”
Big Hoss