This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Addiec122

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm not taking the mcat this year, i decided to postpone it to next year because i do not want to study for it while i am taking other difficult courses...anyhow...this upcoming semester i am taking my first course of physics to fulfill premed requirements. So i decided to study the MCAT book for physics ( i bought the new kaplan version) and it is taking me so long to get through this chapter.

Now i have never taken physics before so its a new language for me, i am also crazy organized so what i'm doing is condensing the book. i find that for me, condensing my notes works because i am "actively studying" and that is how i learn, but the mcat is just so much information.

I have 3 pages of word that are from the first chapter of the physics book and that took me like 3 days!!! i have read a few posts and noticed it takes most like 2 - 5 hours, and i'm wondering why? Do you guys not make any conceptual notes? will the mcat even have conceptual questions? i have not attempted the questions yet, but i will tonight or tomorrow...i guess my questions are ..

1. how long did/does it take you to get through one chapter?
2. do you think learning the information conceptually is very important?
3. Any tips for when you are feeling exhausted from studying???(I've tried energy drinks and frankly i don't wanna drink them anymore!) i drink tons of caffeine and i work out in the morning and just feel exhausted the rest of the day

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, i'm not taking the mcat this year, i decided to postpone it to next year because i do not want to study for it while i am taking other difficult courses...anyhow...this upcoming semester i am taking my first course of physics to fulfill premed requirements. So i decided to study the MCAT book for physics ( i bought the new kaplan version) and it is taking me so long to get through this chapter.

Now i have never taken physics before so its a new language for me, i am also crazy organized so what i'm doing is condensing the book. i find that for me, condensing my notes works because i am "actively studying" and that is how i learn, but the mcat is just so much information.

I have 3 pages of word that are from the first chapter of the physics book and that took me like 3 days!!! i have read a few posts and noticed it takes most like 2 - 5 hours, and i'm wondering why? Do you guys not make any conceptual notes? will the mcat even have conceptual questions? i have not attempted the questions yet, but i will tonight or tomorrow...i guess my questions are ..

1. how long did/does it take you to get through one chapter?
2. do you think learning the information conceptually is very important?
3. Any tips for when you are feeling exhausted from studying???(I've tried energy drinks and frankly i don't wanna drink them anymore!) i drink tons of caffeine and i work out in the morning and just feel exhausted the rest of the day

You haven't even taken physics yet... these books are for people that took the classes and need focused, concise content review.

You'd be getting equal benefit reading an automotive shop manual cover to cover right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Physics is more about applying knowledge in problems. If you have difficulty grasping the concepts check out videos from Khan Academy.

It seems like you need take the class first before studying for the MCAT.