NFL folded like a wet noodle over the protests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The reason Kaepernick and others took a knee was to protest the well documented and research proven racial bias that is prevalent in local police departments toward black boys and men. Is it a coincidence that so few of the critics of those chosing to protest not black boys or men? They are not the victims of this racism so of course they do not condone this type of protest.
These black men and boys are dying by the bullets of police officers. There is genuine fear of being killed unfairly because of the color of their skin and research has proven this is a valid fear. How can you expect them to not to exercise their right to protest when the stakes are so high?
I bet half of the critics of these protesters couldn't even recite the national anthem if you asked them to

Well documented and research proven racial bias, oh get over yourself. The real statistics tell a different story. Did you know blacks commit a higher proportion of crimes than other races? Did you know nearly everyone of these police shootings that ended in the death of a black man involved someone with a criminal record who ignored police requests prior to being shot. It isn't complicated science, when a cop tells you to do something, do it. Seriously, its not as simple as you make it out to be. It is really insulting to law enforcement officials to claim they are inherently racist. If you're really terrified of police and for your life, when they approach you one would think you would go out of your way to do everything possible to comply with their requests.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you delusional? Not paying them anything? Including the money stolen by the taxpayers to fund their stadiums, where do you think NFL revenue comes from? I know. I know. The fans.

Yes, shut and play football in the government funded stadium. Protest elsewhere. They do not have the right to make political statements when they are being paid to work. Players usually get Monday off, spend that time protesting and/or doing something constructive towards the cause you pretend to care about.

The protest is most meaningful and effective when they have an audience. Monday protests would be unseen and ignored. They have power and they know what they're doing. Maybe that is what is upsetting to so many on this thread. I think it's about time they used the stage for something more meaningful than scoring touchdowns. No more "shut up and do your job boy". If you don't want to see it just turn off the TV and go to the beach or go for a bike ride. If you have a compulsion to watch then you are empowering the protestors. Crying fans won't change anything unless they stop watching. My community refused a ripoff stadium deal and the team left. Good riddance. We exercised our power.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well documented and research proven racial bias, oh get over yourself. The real statistics tell a different story. Did you know blacks commit a higher proportion of crimes than other races? Did you know nearly everyone of these police shootings that ended in the death of a black man involved someone with a criminal record who ignored police requests prior to being shot. It isn't complicated science, when a cop tells you to do something, do it. Seriously, its not as simple as you make it out to be. It is really insulting to law enforcement officials to claim they are inherently racist. If you're really terrified of police and for your life, when they approach you one would think you would go out of your way to do everything possible to comply with their requests.

What type of crimes do black people commit a higher proportion of than other races? Assaults? murders? theft? rape?
Does this take into account that black people are stopped more frequently and receive harsher sentences than other races? It's even worse for darker skinned than lighter skinned black people.
Assuming that black people do commit proportionally more crime across the board does this justify a police officer shooting an unarmed black man who is running away from them? Does this mean that police officers have the right to be more aggressive with and suspicious of black people in general? If not then what is the purpose of pointing out that black people commit more crimes?
God forbid we insult law enforcement officials and call them racists. We would never want to hurt their feelings eh?
I'm sure you are a privileged white person who has never faced oppression of any kind in their life, thats why you can conceive where this protest is coming from. Colin Kaepernick will probably never be arrested and shot by the police either, but he recognizes the problem. White people like you refuse to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hesitate to even reply to this thread as I know it will likely cause more issues, but maybe a perspective from an actual black person may help .

I am an African American male physician for 5 years, And every time something like this issue comes up I always seem to be the "black friend" that my white colleagues run things by or wonder my thoughts on . After having this conversation multiple times in the last several years I amazed how many times my white colleagues have never heard an opinion from an actual black person not on Facebook , or other social media. And sometimes an explanation from one of the "good blacks" seems to provide some insight to otherwise closed minds.

I get it .. I really do . You guys are tired of hearing about this issue, I understand. In the last several years it seems like with all the police issues, protests, black lives matter , and all of these racial issues have just come out of nowhere. But let me tell you as annoying as it is to hear about its even more annoying to experience.

Police brutality/misconduct/mistreatment is not a new issue for black people. It has been going on for a very long time . I understand you are just really hearing about some of it , but it is real . Youll never understand it because it just doesn't happen to you . But if you want to understand why black people are so frustrated and angry here is a little story

I have been at the other end of an officers gun 3 times in my life, handcuffed several times , and almost arrested. I have never committed a crime. What is unique about this is that I am in no way some diamond in the rough , made it out of the hood miracle story . Both my parents were doctors, I have never lived in the hood, I have been upper middle class my whole life. However Even I have had issues with the police, and while most of my encounters with police they are respectful , and have gone without incident, other times I could have easily been one of the "thuggish black lives matter victims"

You will never understand how SOME police treat black people ESPECIALLY in the hood. They understand that blacks especially in the hood have little recourse to file complaints, no one will believe them any way ,they have no legal recourse, and the administration etc will always take the word of the police, and many times the person will have a criminal record Anyway. They know they can get away with a lot more. This leads to mistreatment, brutality , violation of rights, etc. I used to hate riding or driving to my black friends houses in the hood. We would frequently get pulled over, frisked, detained, and threatened. THIS is literally a daily issue for people who LIVE there.

NOW BLACK PEOPLE ARENT ALWAYS INNOCENT . I get it , we commit more than our fair share of crime. I feel sorry for police officers at times, they are for the most part good people who just want to get home to their families. . Police who patrol the hood see the worst of the worst. IT is almost impossible for a police officer to not overtime develop implicit bias . Its amazing how many police officers completely change their tone and demeanor when they realize I am a physician etc. I get it , its a tough job. Nevertheless both innocent ,and not innocent black people especially in the hood, are treated like crap for large portion of their lives.

Now we have lived with this for quite some time, we have been ignored, told its not happening, etc . Every black person I know has many stories about it happening to them or their families Many deserve it, some don't. The best way I can describe it is how the police treated people in the WIRE. They treated everyone like crap, criminals and civilians alike.

Now with the availability of cameras their is visual proof. People getting killed ,on camera, with no weapon , for either nothing or minor aggravations. Now I understand some are justified shoots or rather unclear. For example Mike brown . although his shoot was still rather questionable, the surrounding attention , protests, and false narrative "hands up don't shoot" were definitely not accurate. I wish black people had not banked a lot their outrage on that unclear shooting when there are MANY other clear , unarmed shoots , THAT ARE ON CAMERA
tamir rice, Orlando castile, to name a few.

And even when we have the abuse on camera, unarmed, we see the officer get off. We also see many times the officer cover up , or straight up lie about the circumstances of the shoot or evidence, that directly contradicts video evidence. not only that but many times we see "good "cops, back up the lie that is clearly caught on camera .
And then it keeps happening again, .. and again ... and again.

So I am sorry that the one minute nonviolent, silent protest during your football game affects you so much . But that's what protest are supposed to do MAKE YOU Uncomfortable , so you can feel the slightest bit of annoying and maybe understand and have empathy for the reason they are protesting. Because its not until whites are MILDLY inconvenience either in their pocketbook or time that they start to pay attention or care about the issues affecting black Americans. WE have seen this time and time again during the buss boycotts, sit ins, and acts of civil demonstration throughout Americas fractured history . And EVERY time the leader or participants are vilified by those who seek to either falsely portray , or ignore their grievances. Remember martin Luther king was the most hated man in America in the 60's for what he did.

Now after all that is said , what do we expect you average nonracist white person to do? The answer is nothing. you don't have to do anything. We don't expect you to march in the street , or boycott etc. What would be nice however is if you just admit that it may be an issue, and not try to belittle, disrespect, or falsely portray it. THEN maybe we can start to have a rational conversation about police misconduct without temporarily interrupting your treasured pastimes.

If you decided to read all that I appreciate it , I hope maybe you might have a slightly different perspective on things.

Reactions: 30 users
Lot of conservative snowflakes on this forum... Crying over the anthem and not knowing why they are protesting. And the same people will defend racists that fly the Confederate and Nazi flags... Go figure!

Oh well, I'm going to get back to watching "fake news" because apparently an old white guy just caused the largest mass shooting TERRORIST attack in US history. We'll see if Trump spends as much tweeting about this as he does about the NFL... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 10 users
Lot of conservative snowflakes on this forum... Crying over the anthem and not knowing why they are protesting. And the same people will defend racists that fly the Confederate and Nazi flags... Go figure!

Oh well, I'm going to get back to watching "fake news" because apparently an old white guy just caused the largest mass shooting TERRORIST attack in US history. We'll see if Trump spends as much tweeting about this as he does about the NFL... :rolleyes:

It will never be cosidered "terrorism." I found out he was white by how Trump responded and the fact that they left out the word "terrorism" to describe it.

Don't worry conservative spokesman and hero, Alex Jones, will be on later to set everything straight. This was clearly a liberal conspiracy.

The protest is most meaningful and effective when they have an audience. Monday protests would be unseen and ignored. They have power and they know what they're doing. Maybe that is what is upsetting to so many on this thread. I think it's about time they used the stage for something more meaningful than scoring touchdowns. No more "shut up and do your job boy". If you don't want to see it just turn off the TV and go to the beach or go for a bike ride. If you have a compulsion to watch then you are empowering the protestors. Crying fans won't change anything unless they stop watching. My community refused a ripoff stadium deal and the team left. Good riddance. We exercised our power.

The stage you speak of is football, not political activism. Most people watch sports to escape from politics and stresses in their life. I wouldn't say they know what they are doing, these imbeciles are destroying their brand. As recent polls have shown, over half the country believes these protests are inappropriate.

What type of crimes do black people commit a higher proportion of than other races? Assaults? murders? theft? rape?
Does this take into account that black people are stopped more frequently and receive harsher sentences than other races? It's even worse for darker skinned than lighter skinned black people.
Assuming that black people do commit proportionally more crime across the board does this justify a police officer shooting an unarmed black man who is running away from them? Does this mean that police officers have the right to be more aggressive with and suspicious of black people in general? If not then what is the purpose of pointing out that black people commit more crimes?
God forbid we insult law enforcement officials and call them racists. We would never want to hurt their feelings eh?
I'm sure you are a privileged white person who has never faced oppression of any kind in their life, thats why you can conceive where this protest is coming from. Colin Kaepernick will probably never be arrested and shot by the police either, but he recognizes the problem. White people like you refuse to.

White, yes. Privileged, no. Nothing from my background gave me any privilege. Lived well below the poverty level my entire life and still do. How could you be sure I've never faced any type of oppression in my life? You have no idea who I am. Such a stupid thing to write. That is consistent with the generalization from the left, only black people face adversity and whites are privileged.

Kaepernick is the problem. He wore socks displaying police officers as pigs. He donated $25,000 to a convicted cop-killer group called Assata's Daughters and tweeted a happy birthday message to this loser. This ***** wears castro shirts. Didn't vote in the last presidential election. Sorry if I question the legitimacy of this thug and his intentions.

Leave it to a liberal to insert race into this. The people not knowing why they are protesting are most of the NFL players.

White, yes. Privileged, no. Nothing from my background gave me any privilege. Lived well below the poverty level my entire life and still do. How could you be sure I've never faced any type of oppression in my life? You have no idea who I am. Such a stupid thing to write. That is consistent with the generalization from the left, only black people face adversity and whites are privileged.

Kaepernick is the problem. He wore socks displaying police officers as pigs. He donated $25,000 to a convicted cop-killer group called Assata's Daughters and tweeted a happy birthday message to this loser. This ***** wears castro shirts. Didn't vote in the last presidential election. Sorry if I question the legitimacy of this thug and his intentions.

You currently live "well below" the poverty level and have time to watch NFL games and post frequently on internet forums? I'm sorry, but I find that statement confusing.

You currently live "well below" the poverty level and have time to watch NFL games and post frequently on internet forums? I'm sorry, but I find that statement confusing.

What does living below the poverty level and and watching NFL games and posting on internet forums have to do with anything or my childhood? Take off your tin foil conspiracy hat. If that causes confusion, I hope you rely on a GPS to get you home each day from school.

Members don't see this ad :)

God help any black patient of yours Precedexed. Not sure what works worse in their favor, your obvious racism or your naviety.
You call yourself white but NOT privileged...that shows you have no understanding the of the plight of non white people in this country. It doesn't matter how rich or poor or disabled you are..as a white person you have default privilege in the eyes of the criminal justice system on every level. I bet you complain about affirmative action in higher education and call it "reverse racism" but you refuse to acknowledge it exists among the police. Why?

You have written nothing but "stupid things" if you want to hurl personal attacks against each other. You are an idiot who makes ridiculous statements about what generalizations people on the left make. Can't believe someone with such limited capacity for critical thought made it through med school. And if you still live below the povery level and are on this board...yea no doubt youre a *****

Reactions: 3 users
God help any black patient of yours Precedexed. Not sure what works worse in their favor, your obvious racism or your naviety.
You call yourself white but NOT privileged...that shows you have no understanding the of the plight of non white people in this country. It doesn't matter how rich or poor or disabled you are..as a white person you have default privilege in the eyes of the criminal justice system on every level. I bet you complain about affirmative action in higher education and call it "reverse racism" but you refuse to acknowledge it exists among the police. Why?

You have written nothing but "stupid things" if you want to hurl personal attacks against each other. You are an idiot who makes ridiculous statements about what generalizations people on the left make. Can't believe someone with such limited capacity for critical thought made it through med school. And if you still live below the povery level and are on this board...yea no doubt youre a *****

Oh...the "plight." Stolen straight from CNN and MSNBC. Glad you can repeat talking points. Not all black US citizens share this same foolish plight you speak of. The democratic party loves to lump us by race so they can create campaign issues and ignore real problems. Where has the democratic party been for blacks? What did Obama do for them? NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING. He did nothing. Blacks are worse off now than they were eight years ago. Racial divide is worse than ever, and this started before Trump entered politics. Obama divided America.

I don't look at any patients as black, white, brown,...etc. I look at patients as human being first because that is what they are. All my patients are treated the same. Shame on your for suggesting there should be a different approach.

As a medical student with no income, I would say I live well below the poverty level. Not sure how that makes me a ***** as most medical students are like me.

Sorry you feel the need to name call. At least most on here have the maturity to refrain from this type of behavior.

Oh...the "plight." Stolen straight from CNN and MSNBC. Glad you can repeat talking points. Not all black US citizens share this same foolish plight you speak of. The democratic party loves to lump us by race so they can create campaign issues and ignore real problems. Where has the democratic party been for blacks? What did Obama do for them? NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING. He did nothing. Blacks are worse off now than they were eight years ago. Racial divide is worse than ever, and this started before Trump entered politics. Obama divided America.

I don't look at any patients as black, white, brown,...etc. I look at patients as human being first because that is what they are. All my patients are treated the same. Shame on your for suggesting there should be a different approach.

As a medical student with no income, I would say I live well below the poverty level. Not sure how that makes me a ***** as most medical students are like me.

Sorry you feel the need to name call. At least most on here have the maturity to refrain from this type of behavior.

Kinda getting sick of all the ad hominem attacks against the posters on this thread. I don't care much for SJWs, but I hate callous ignorance that your posts espouse. You talk about how football players need to shut up and just play because it makes you feel sick that they kneel. It's not hard for you to turn off your NFL channel and move on with your day. It speaks a lot about your character when players kneeling without any threat of violence to your person is much more of an issue than whatever boards you have to study for.

I see a guy posting on internet forums compulsively, but still says he is a medical student. My question is where is the time on studying? Where is the time spent on research? Where is the time spent on doing something productive instead of bashing people that are giving a message that you don't like. And then you accuse people of repeating "talking points" or unpatriotic or whatever else.

It's a pattern not only with your views on the NFL, but even in this thread. Someone says something you don't like and you'll just belittle them for whatever perceived offense you pull out of your anus. It's pathetic.

Yea this guy must be practicing anesthesia in a cubicle of his local library using their free internet... Not sure if he knows what the poverty line really means...

When someone’s community has been brutalized for 400 years and they still face inequality in justice and opportunity, they show an AMAZING degree of restraint by fighting back without violence.

I love this country as much as anyone, it’s MY flag and anthem, and I encourage them to protest.

What does living below the poverty level and and watching NFL games and posting on internet forums have to do with anything or my childhood? Take off your tin foil conspiracy hat. If that causes confusion, I hope you rely on a GPS to get you home each day from school.

Stop whining and get a job.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the biggest issue for me in all this is the fact that I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why kneeling for the anthem has anything to do with supposed police racism/brutality. Can anyone explain that to me? Why not protest a local police station, or go to the courthouse and protest the whole justice system if that's what you think the problem is. Kneeling for the anthem, even if you claim you're not protesting the flag, sure seems like you're protesting the flag, the military, and the country as a whole. I mean....duh. And if you are an army veteran standing at attention during the anthem and there is a guy kneeling next to you doing the black power fist, isn't it logical that you might take it a little bit personally? Did all these players not realize a lot of people would misconstrue what they were doing, and shouldn't that very easily anticipated reality have been enough of a reason to have them think of a better way to protest? They all come out and say they aren't protesting the military, but c'mon, didn't you see it coming that a LARGE portion of the country would take your protest as disrespectful towards the military? I don't think anyone in this country, right or left, thinks that people don't have the right to a protest, so arguing about people wanting to silence protesters seems idiotic, and I have yet to hear someone on the right say that these players don't have a right to protest in this country. It just seems like everyone from Kaepernick to all the players last weekend could have approached their protesting in a much more clearly and accurately directed fashion.

Does anyone disagree that if these guys actually took time out of their busy schedules to organize a protest outside of the supreme court bldg lets say, and released a clear statement to the media about why/what they were protesting, that it wouldn't have been 100x more effective, no one would've been upset with them or criticized them (assuming it was a peaceful, non-Antifa ladened demonstration), and we could've avoided this whole mess? Can you imagine 100+ players in all different uniforms, standing together in unison together as a group having a peaceful, powerful protest in DC. Yeah, that' might've worked better.

Just sayin...

See this is the type of thing as a black person that really starts to get me angry and really impedes the attempt at any useful discourse.

KEPERNICK IS NOT A THUG . Stop with that racial dog whistle crap . This is a guy that regardless of whether you agree with WHY he is protesting literally sacrificed his job worth millions of dollars to stand up for a cause he believes in to HELP OTHER PEOPLE. He is not in it for the fame or the money . Kapernick doesn't need to do this, he likely will never be affected by police brutality . Yet he continues to be a voice of the voiceless. Kapernick has donated MILLIONS of his own money to help the poor, undeserved and victims of not only police brutality , but towards illiteracy , increasing education in the black community and to programs to decrease violence. Money that he doesn't even have a job to replace.

He is not calling for armed insurrection, he is not calling for reparations, or 40 acres and a mule, he is not calling for looting , he is not calling for attacks on cops or white people. .He used his platform to peacefully bring attention to an issue which has affected the black community for hundreds of years.

Its amazing given the history of this country towards back people, that there is still a concerted effort to belittle attack and malign current efforts to improve racial injustice.

After all black people have put up with at the hands of "America" you are lucky that we just want equality and not REVENGE . Why is simple equality so much to ask ?

Its also interesting , i haven't heard anyone call the white guy who killed 50 people yesterday a thug, or dylan roof , or the chartlosville killer, only for blacks.

So before you dismiss and demean kepernick as a "thug" grow some balls and just use the N word, instead of its new "i dont want to be called a racist" pc version , because that its exactly what you mean .

Reactions: 12 users
I'll be absolutely honest.
I believed in Kaepernick's silent and peaceful protest (this is despite having both law enforcement AND military in my family). I believed he was blackballed by NFL owners and have decided to not watch the NFL after last year's Super Bowl (this in addition to the game actually getting worse). I don't like how the "kneeling" narrative has been shifted to "anti-military" because that's actual BS. The protest was never about the military. It was about fair and equal treatment by law enforcement to all people of this country. That's my stance and I stick to it.

Reactions: 7 users
And I'll add....this is from someone who LOVED to watch NFL on Sundays. It's been damn hard to not watch, but in the process I've become a big English Premier League fan.....so go Tottenham!

Unconstrained free speech has consequences. Ask the unemployed Kaepernick- he had the right to protest the national anthem and flag- the NFL has the right to fire anyone that damages their brand, which they did. Unfortunately the flip flop of the NFL may have have long term consequences. It is the price of "free speech".

Unconstrained free speech has consequences. Ask the unemployed Kaepernick- he had the right to protest the national anthem and flag- the NFL has the right to fire anyone that damages their brand, which they did. Unfortunately the flip flop of the NFL may have have long term consequences. It is the price of "free speech".

I think saying "the NFL fired" Kaepernick. He's not suspended from the league, he just hasn't been pick up by a team. I equate it to an anesthesiologist having an active license but not being hired by practices because of political beliefs. The NFL body itself has not "fired" him.

Theorectically, the NFL/owners/player/etc have already got our money through TV deals etc. So not watching is sort of silly on both sides. The real hurt is not going to games which most of us probably don't do anyway. The drop in ratings probably only effects advertising dollars, and that's big maybe because if you think about the products advertised during games, we usually partake in anyway (beer, food, cars).

So while I realize my "not watching of the NFL" is silly even for my personal reason, in the end, it's what allows me to sleep at night. And anyone else's reason for not watching (peeved at players for kneeling, peeved at players for being violent, etc) that's what allows them to sleep at night.

The overall summary is.....until people stop putting butts in seats at stadiums that's when the real effect of any protest will be felt.

Kaepernick isn't unemployed just because of his kneeling. It's not helping his job search, but as someone who used to love watching him play in SF, I'll argue that a big reason Kaepernick doesn't have a team is because he's a QB who needs a very specific kind of offense to work. Anyplace he went would have to redesign their offense around his running non-pocket style. That means he's got to go someplace where he'd be a starter, or someplace where the first string guy plays the same way. That's a really small number of teams.

I equate it to an anesthesiologist having an active license but not being hired by practices because of political beliefs.

Maybe an anesthesiologist with an active license who only knows how to run TIVAs, who's not being hired by practices because he doesn't know how far to turn the sevo knob. :)

Kaepernick isn't unemployed just because of his kneeling. It's not helping his job search, but as someone who used to love watching him play in SF, I'll argue that a big reason Kaepernick doesn't have a team is because he's a QB who needs a very specific kind of offense to work. Anyplace he went would have to redesign their offense around his running non-pocket style. That means he's got to go someplace where he'd be a starter, or someplace where the first string guy plays the same way. That's a really small number of teams.

Maybe an anesthesiologist with an active license who only knows how to run TIVAs, who's not being hired by practices because he doesn't know how far to turn the sevo knob. :)

Ouch! He didn't do too bad last season and it's not like SF is doing any better. Although, a lot of what you said may be true, he is still a better qb then a couple of starters out there now and a lot of 2nd string qb's. One could argue that he's asking for too much for a 2nd string job, but still there is def some blackballing going on.

I think the biggest issue for me in all this is the fact that I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why kneeling for the anthem has anything to do with supposed police racism/brutality. Can anyone explain that to me? Why not protest a local police station, or go to the courthouse and protest the whole justice system if that's what you think the problem is. Kneeling for the anthem, even if you claim you're not protesting the flag, sure seems like you're protesting the flag, the military, and the country as a whole. I mean....duh. And if you are an army veteran standing at attention during the anthem and there is a guy kneeling next to you doing the black power fist, isn't it logical that you might take it a little bit personally? Did all these players not realize a lot of people would misconstrue what they were doing, and shouldn't that very easily anticipated reality have been enough of a reason to have them think of a better way to protest? They all come out and say they aren't protesting the military, but c'mon, didn't you see it coming that a LARGE portion of the country would take your protest as disrespectful towards the military? I don't think anyone in this country, right or left, thinks that people don't have the right to a protest, so arguing about people wanting to silence protesters seems idiotic, and I have yet to hear someone on the right say that these players don't have a right to protest in this country. It just seems like everyone from Kaepernick to all the players last weekend could have approached their protesting in a much more clearly and accurately directed fashion.

Does anyone disagree that if these guys actually took time out of their busy schedules to organize a protest outside of the supreme court bldg lets say, and released a clear statement to the media about why/what they were protesting, that it wouldn't have been 100x more effective, no one would've been upset with them or criticized them (assuming it was a peaceful, non-Antifa ladened demonstration), and we could've avoided this whole mess? Can you imagine 100+ players in all different uniforms, standing together in unison together as a group having a peaceful, powerful protest in DC. Yeah, that' might've worked better.

Just sayin...

Because he said that's why he was kneeling.

Seems pretty straightforward.

Also, if he kneel in front of the Supreme Court, we would not be talking about it at all. So no it would not have been more effective.

Ouch! He didn't do too bad last season and it's not like SF is doing any better. Although, a lot of what you said may be true, he is still a better qb then a couple of starters out there now and a lot of 2nd string qb's. One could argue that he's asking for too much for a 2nd string job, but still there is def some blackballing going on.

It isn't blackballing. Kaepernick is bad for business and the NFL is a business.

Kinda getting sick of all the ad hominem attacks against the posters on this thread. I don't care much for SJWs, but I hate callous ignorance that your posts espouse. You talk about how football players need to shut up and just play because it makes you feel sick that they kneel. It's not hard for you to turn off your NFL channel and move on with your day. It speaks a lot about your character when players kneeling without any threat of violence to your person is much more of an issue than whatever boards you have to study for.

I see a guy posting on internet forums compulsively, but still says he is a medical student. My question is where is the time on studying? Where is the time spent on research? Where is the time spent on doing something productive instead of bashing people that are giving a message that you don't like. And then you accuse people of repeating "talking points" or unpatriotic or whatever else.

It's a pattern not only with your views on the NFL, but even in this thread. Someone says something you don't like and you'll just belittle them for whatever perceived offense you pull out of your anus. It's pathetic.

Are you clueless about medical school? I'm a fourth year student applying for anesthesia which anyone can see by looking at my post history. Already passed all my board exams and did well on them. Comfortably within the top quartile of my class. Even if I wasn't a fourth year, my posts don't take much time. I'm not attacking anyone, you just perceive anyone who doesn't share your world view as attacking it. Simmer down friend.

I'll just counter that by saying Matt Schaub was Michael Vick's backup for the Falcons and Russell Wilson's back up is Austin Davis. Your argument is stronger if you say it was more about money then ability which I believe has some truth but is under-reported. But if anyone has followed stats for the first few weeks would know that Kaep could at least be a back up (if not start) for at least half the teams in the NFL.

Hard to know. I don't have any idea how much money his agent is asking for. Could he find a spot for the league minimum? Probably. He's sure a lot better than an the 3rd stringers out there. There are a couple really nice houses in my neighborhood that have been listed for sale for many months. Nothing wrong with the houses as far as I can tell. I only assume they're listed too high.

The 49ers had the #3 defense in the league in 2012. The #4 rushing game. The #23 passing game. Kaepernick didn't carry them to the Super Bowl. A cynic might argue they got there despite him. I'm not a cynic :) and again I liked watching him play in those days, but when the coach left and the supporting cast got just a little bit weaker ... he just didn't get it done.

Yea this guy must be practicing anesthesia in a cubicle of his local library using their free internet... Not sure if he knows what the poverty line really means...

Another liberal cheap shot. When you can't argue about the topic, take a cheap shot by insulting your opponent. Liberal 101

I mean, last year he threw like 14 TDs and 2 ints on a VERY VERY bad team. Alot people are letting the politics of the situation cloud what they see.

Just sayin...

Catch these overpaid players arguing on their own time. Ha. They aren't that passionate about this. Yes, if they really cared they would protest on their own time.

There is no explanation about how kneeling during the national anthem does anything to address whatever they are addressing. This appears to be an outreach of the democratic party.

Nice post.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team pick him up soon. Trump's comments have sort of forced the NFL and owners into a series of statements defending the protests.

I agree. Now that half the league is foolishly kneeling and destroying their brand. Kaepernick will fit right in. If I was a gambler, I would be he gets signed by a team before the end of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team pick him up soon. Trump's comments have sort of forced the NFL and owners into a series of statements defending the protests.

It's almost a point of no return at this point. The whole situation has sort of gotten out of hand with teams/players kneeling for all sorts of reasons and I think the Cowboys' gesture took the cake. Now if you sign him it actually WILL be distraction and this is coming from someone that wants to see him play again.

I mean, a guy who went to PRISON got a second chance.

He isn't being picked up by any teams because his level of talent isn't worth all the baggage. If he was as talented as Brady or Manning he would be on a team by now.

He isn't being picked up by any teams because his level of talent isn't worth all the baggage. If he was as talented as Brady or Manning he would be on a team by now.

Again, it's amazing what we consider "baggage" given Michael Vick got 6 seasons of work after PRISON

I do agree with this. I have to believe that if the NFL took a guy like Ray Lewis, a guy who was charged with murder, who cut a deal and pled guilty to obstruction of justice in return for testifying against co-conspirators, that great role model with kids by 4 different mommas, a sad hypocrite who said stupid things about his wife-knocking-out-in-an-elevator teammate Ray Rice and held that lowlife up as proof that he wasn't such a bad guy himself ... they gave him a "second chance" and now puts him in the broadcast booth because the $ make sense for the NFL ...

If Kaepernick's field upside minus salary minus overall drama/distraction quotient was a net positive, the Moneyball accountants at one of 32 NFL teams would've gotten him signed by now.

I do agree with this. I have to believe that if the NFL took a guy like Ray Lewis, a guy who was charged with murder, who cut a deal and pled guilty to obstruction of justice in return for testifying against co-conspirators, that great role model with kids by 4 different mommas, a sad hypocrite who said stupid things about his wife-knocking-out-in-an-elevator teammate Ray Rice and held that lowlife up as proof that he wasn't such a bad guy himself ... they gave him a "second chance" and now puts him in the broadcast booth because the $ make sense for the NFL ...

If Kaepernick's field upside minus salary minus overall drama/distraction quotient was a net positive, the Moneyball accountants at one of 32 NFL teams would've gotten him signed by now.

I honestly believe it was 1/3 politics, 1/3 money, 1/3 lack of need

it's that bottom third that has a good amount of Kaep supporters shaking their heads at (Jags, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, etc).

I also think he doesn't want to be a backup to someone he feels he's better than, which would be the case for a handful of teams. So there's bad on both sides (LOL...couldn't help myself)

You know what I find funny, the US was literally founded in protested and revolt. Revolutionary War and Declaration of Independance. Protest is supposed to be disruptive. The fact that these athletes are in the national spotlight every week allows their ideas to get heard. Why else would we be discussing it on this forum. If it was just a protest in front of a courthouse, we wouldn't be talking about it. If anything, you bringing it up is exactly what they want.

Reactions: 7 users
Another liberal cheap shot. When you can't argue about the topic, take a cheap shot by insulting your opponent. Liberal 101
It’s not a cheap shot. It’s holding you to your words. You said you always were and still are in poverty. And yet you have the luxury of watching NFL games (seemingly for many, many years back) and being connected to internet (By the rate of your replies - dsl? Cable? FIOS?) throughout the day to comment on this forum.

I’m sorry you couldn’t argue the topic by being consistent with your words and actions. Looks like you got suckered by your own “liberal 101”, whatever that means.

Catch these overpaid players arguing on their own time. Ha. They aren't that passionate about this. Yes, if they really cared they would protest on their own time.

There is no explanation about how kneeling during the national anthem does anything to address whatever they are addressing. This appears to be an outreach of the democratic party.

Nice post.

Kaepernick never said kneeling would fix a problem. It was to use his position to shine a spotlight on a cause he believed in. (And he’s been doing more for than just kneeling, but don’t let facts get in the way of your story.) He’s been doing it for quite a few months and has explained it many times. How’d you miss it with all the football you watch?

And It’s not an outreach of the DNC. Are you sure you aren’t Alex Jones? Connecting any two points and hope it sticks?

See this is the type of thing as a black person that really starts to get me angry and really impedes the attempt at any useful discourse.

KEPERNICK IS NOT A THUG . Stop with that racial dog whistle crap . This is a guy that regardless of whether you agree with WHY he is protesting literally sacrificed his job worth millions of dollars to stand up for a cause he believes in to HELP OTHER PEOPLE. He is not in it for the fame or the money . Kapernick doesn't need to do this, he likely will never be affected by police brutality . Yet he continues to be a voice of the voiceless. Kapernick has donated MILLIONS of his own money to help the poor, undeserved and victims of not only police brutality , but towards illiteracy , increasing education in the black community and to programs to decrease violence. Money that he doesn't even have a job to replace.

He is not calling for armed insurrection, he is not calling for reparations, or 40 acres and a mule, he is not calling for looting , he is not calling for attacks on cops or white people. .He used his platform to peacefully bring attention to an issue which has affected the black community for hundreds of years.

Its amazing given the history of this country towards back people, that there is still a concerted effort to belittle attack and malign current efforts to improve racial injustice.

After all black people have put up with at the hands of "America" you are lucky that we just want equality and not REVENGE . Why is simple equality so much to ask ?

Its also interesting , i haven't heard anyone call the white guy who killed 50 people yesterday a thug, or dylan roof , or the chartlosville killer, only for blacks.

So before you dismiss and demean kepernick as a "thug" grow some balls and just use the N word, instead of its new "i dont want to be called a racist" pc version , because that its exactly what you mean .

First of all, thug isn't specific to any race. This seems like an example of one inserting race where it doesn't belong. Lets review the definition:

a brutal ruffian or assassin

a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer

A violent person, especially a criminal. ‘he was attacked by a gang of thugs’

historical A member of an organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travellers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

I couldn't find a single definition that included race. A thug is based on the actions, not race, an inconvenient truth for you. Had you said he is not a thug because he isn't a murderer or assassin, you would have a legitimate argument. Nah, you play the race card exactly when there was no reason. For example, the individual who assassinated all those in Las Vegas yesterday is a thug. Dylan Roof is the very definition of a thug and evil person.

I have every right to question the motives of anyone who pretends to be serious about the racial issues when he doesn't vote and wears socks with pigs on them. There is nothing constructive about either of those actions. Furthermore, "voice for the voiceless," are you having audible hallucinations? Kaepernick barely says anything for a cause he is supposedly so passionate about.

Finally, you don't know what I mean. You just assume that because I don't agree with you I am a racist. I am not racist and treat all people equally.

Again, it's amazing what we consider "baggage" given Michael Vick got 6 seasons of work after PRISON

Michael Vick was never convicted of harming human. Big difference between people and animals. The sad truth is he faced more backlash than many of the thugs in the NFL (not specific to race, see definition above) who are extremely abuse/violent. The NFL routinely allows this type of behavior. Michael Vick did something very stupid, he is not a thug, and he paid dearly for it. In my opinion, his prison sentence was too excessive. He came out of prison with a great attitude and I believe a changed man. Its really sad that he couldn't have gotten his life together before the best years of his career as he was a very gifted and unique player. After leaving prison, he has paid off all or nearly all of his debt which exceeded 15 million dollars, an honorable thing to do.

Michael Vick was never convicted of harming human. Big difference between people and animals. The sad truth is he faced more backlash than many of the thugs in the NFL (not specific to race, see definition above) who are extremely abuse/violent. The NFL routinely allows this type of behavior. Michael Vick did something very stupid, he is not a thug, and he paid dearly for it. In my opinion, his prison sentence was too excessive. He came out of prison with a great attitude and I believe a changed man. Its really sad that he couldn't have gotten his life together before the best years of his career as he was a very gifted and unique player. After leaving prison, he has paid off all or nearly all of his debt which exceeded 15 million dollars, an honorable thing to do.

Pretty sure Kap didn't harm any humans. Or go to jail for anything.

You know what I find funny, the US was literally founded in protested and revolt. Revolutionary War and Declaration of Independance. Protest is supposed to be disruptive. The fact that these athletes are in the national spotlight every week allows their ideas to get heard. Why else would we be discussing it on this forum. If it was just a protest in front of a courthouse, we wouldn't be talking about it. If anything, you bringing it up is exactly what they want.

Respectfully disagree. An NFL team protesting at a court house or players at the Supreme Court would most definitely get attention and wouldn't bother me at all. Image if an entire NFL team went to a state capital and spent a whole day protesting, but that won't happen because they don't care that much to do it.

Pretty sure Kap didn't harm any humans. Or go to jail for anything.

He didn't harm anyone. He offended many people by disrespecting the military since he quit standing for the national anthem. Many people equate standing for the national anthem with respecting the military, like it or not. I am one of those, don't disrespect this country which has provided you with more than 99% of Americans.