NHSC Salary for Dentists???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of what NHSC dental scholars are being paid once they graduate?

The fact sheet obtained during the interview states GS 9 through GS 11.

http://opm.gov

http://www.opm.gov/oca/06tables/html/gs.asp

$38,175 - $60,000

Not sure what the "Steps" indicate.

Could that be right? As low as $38,000? Yikes!

Members don't see this ad.

You are being paid by the site, not by the government. Most of the sites I have looked at are locally and nationally competitive. Take that for what you will. I know one of the sites in Alaska was offering $90,000 plus benefits. I also have no idea what the costs of living in Alaska is so I don't know if that is good money up there. I am pretty sure you won't be making $38,000.

What is the NHSC? How do you apply for it? What does it cover? ...totally clueless...

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
What is the NHSC? How do you apply for it? What does it cover? ...totally clueless...

National Health Service Corps. They have scholarship and loan repayment programs for health professionals. You have to serve in underserved areas as defined by the NHSC.

There are a lot of apples and oranges in this area. I think you wre looking at the common pay scale for most civil service employees. The commissioned public health officer route has, on the surface, what appears to be a low starting base salary, but you have to add in housing allowance, subsistance allowance, signing bonus, benefits, loan payback options , and a huge increase in annual salary for completing their 2 year Advanced GPR porgram. The Civil Service route uses a special pay scale for health care professionals whoose lstarting salary for dentists is negotiable to about $90,000 plus benefits and loan payback options. Both routes are about equal when converted to an apple common denominator.

is it too late to apply for this scholarship if already accepted for this fall?

dexadental said:
is it too late to apply for this scholarship if already accepted for this fall?

You'll have to apply next year. The application deadline is the end of March each year.

I was just wondering if this program pays only for tuition or does it pay for living costs and what not too? Thanks.

And is anyone in this program and have started their two yrs of service? Do you like it? I want to come back to California and serve somewhere there... is that possible? Thanks.

mellowt said:
I was just wondering if this program pays only for tuition or does it pay for living costs and what not too? Thanks.

And is anyone in this program and have started their two yrs of service? Do you like it? I want to come back to California and serve somewhere there... is that possible? Thanks.

It pays all school associated costs (tuition, books, fees, laptop, health insurance, etc.). If the school requires it for all students, the NHSC pays for it. It also pays a monthly stipend of $1200.

You can interview for a position at the location of choice. The sites are listed on their website. Last time I looked, there were about 35 open positions across the nation. There is no way to know what sites will be available 4 years from now.

I'm just a little concerned with the salary range. I'd say if you can negotiate at least $60k per year, it's probably a good deal considering the scholarship is worth about $60k per year (for me) equaling a salary of $120k. I think this would be equivalent to an associate's salary in private practice. With the NHSC you would have no debt providing you can live on $1200 per month.

DentalNerd said:
It pays all school associated costs (tuition, books, fees, laptop, health insurance, etc.). If the school requires it for all students, the NHSC pays for it. It also pays a monthly stipend of $1200.

You can interview for a position at the location of choice. The sites are listed on their website. Last time I looked, there were about 35 open positions across the nation. There is no way to know what sites will be available 4 years from now.

I'm just a little concerned with the salary range. I'd say if you can negotiate at least $60k per year, it's probably a good deal considering the scholarship is worth about $60k per year (for me) equaling a salary of $120k. I think this would be equivalent to an associate's salary in private practice. With the NHSC you would have no debt providing you can live on $1200 per month.

Plus that extra 60k/year for school would be more like 80-85 if you acount for the taxes you would be paying to take home the extra 60k/year to pay it back.

Bump to get more recent experiences

Reactions: 1 user
These days you are looking at $52k-120k Minus loan repayment which can range from 20-50k a year.

I just graduated in May and signed a contract to work at a primary healthcare clinic in NW Georgia. I had around ten phone interviews (all in the southeastern US b/c that's where I'm originally from). I had three in person interviews and none of the salaries I was offered was below $100,000. I had no trouble finding locations to interview. My situation may be unique bc I only looked in the southeast, however, I had no trouble securing interviews/job offers. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
I just graduated in May and signed a contract to work at a primary healthcare clinic in NW Georgia. I had around ten phone interviews (all in the southeastern US b/c that's where I'm originally from). I had three in person interviews and none of the salaries I was offered was below $100,000. I had no trouble finding locations to interview. My situation may be unique bc I only looked in the southeast, however, I had no trouble securing interviews/job offers. Hope this helps.
Are you also doing the nhsc loan repayment program? Thanks for your input!

Are you also doing the nhsc loan repayment program? Thanks for your input!

No problem! No I'm a scholar but from my understanding I can apply for the loan repayment program after my four year commitment is done.

Class of 2014
General Dentist

Awesome, congrats! As a four year scholar isn't all of your schooling paid for, though? What would you need the NHSC LRP for?

That is correct but I have loans from a Master degree that I completed prior to dental school.

Class of 2014
General Dentist

I believe the Lrp program only pays back loans related to healthcare schooling. Look into that .

According to what my regional advisor told me the degree program I completed would qualify. However, since I am not currently a LRP participant and am unsure if I will become one in the future, I'll admit that I am not well versed on that particular program. I can only speak on the NHSC scholar program.

Class of 2014
General Dentist

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404710246.172703.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404710246.172703.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited: