NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if my school doesn't estimate money for a computer and I don't buy one, I will not receive that allowance, correct? I can't imagine them giving it anyway just because I'm a new scholar, but that's the way this is coming off to me.

“You will receive funds in your ORC for computer/software since you are a new scholar in the NHSC SP Program”. Thus, you will receive funds for a computer since you are a new scholar. This is a one time payment added to your ORC. It is not reported by your school or you. It is just added because they assume everyone needs a laptop, because the large majority of schools require one. I’m sure you can ask them not to give you the extra money if you really want..?

Members don't see this ad.

“You will receive funds in your ORC for computer/software since you are a new scholar in the NHSC SP Program”. Thus, you will receive funds for a computer since you are a new scholar. This is a one time payment added to your ORC. It is not reported by your school or you. It is just added because they assume everyone needs a laptop, because the large majority of schools require one. I’m sure you can ask them not to give you the extra money if you really want..?

I'm pretty sure my school will just make me return some of the loans I still qualify for, which is why I'm asking. Cost of living where I go to school is extremely high and NHSC's stipend won't cut it, so I'll still have a small loan. However, this additional money will probably just be returned on the loan. That's why I wanted to know if I would still receive it. It means I need to plan to return even more money to my school once I get my stipend and ORC.

I'm pretty sure my school will just make me return some of the loans I still qualify for, which is why I'm asking. Cost of living where I go to school is extremely high and NHSC's stipend won't cut it, so I'll still have a small loan. However, this additional money will probably just be returned on the loan. That's why I wanted to know if I would still receive it. It means I need to plan to return even more money to my school once I get my stipend and ORC.

According to my financial aid guy, you can still borrow up to your total cost of attendance. So if the scholarship gives you say 80% of what you need, you can borrow the rest of that 20%. However clearly you’ll need to wait till you get the ORC payment from NHSC and you know what the difference is, seeing as it varies year to year based on how much they have to give (i.e. if your “other reasonable costs” gross amount is 5k, they might only give you 3k).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
According to my financial aid guy, you can still borrow up to your total cost of attendance. So if the scholarship gives you say 80% of what you need, you can borrow the rest of that 20%. However clearly you’ll need to wait till you get the ORC payment from NHSC and you know what the difference is, seeing as it varies year to year based on how much they have to give (i.e. if your “other reasonable costs” gross amount is 5k, they might only give you 3k).
This is correct.

Reactions: 1 user

This is correct.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Does anyone have information when the webinar is? I have not received any info. on it. Thanks!

Has anyone received ORC or stipend payments?

No, still poor over here :(

Ditto. Last year they got them on the 25th and according to a current Scholar friend, he gets his payment every month on the 27th.

You should've gotten an email from your PSO (program support officer) a while back. They said we'd get stipend + ORC the first week of november

Does anyone know what will happen if congress doesn't extend the NHSC funding. I know I heard that the funding was supposed to end Sep 30, 2017. This is what is found if you search on google about the issue:

"Prior to FY2009, the NHSC was funded through the annual appropriations process. Today, the program is funded at $310 million through a dedicated trust fund that was extended through FY2017 under the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA). To date, no action has been taken to extend funding, and the NHSC trust fund now faces elimination. Without Congressional action, the funding for the NHSC will expire on September 30, 2017, which will cause an immediate and severe impact in underserved areas across the country. This potential lapse in funding will result in a dramatically decreased field strength, jeopardizing access to care for millions of people. It is crucial to continue to fund and grow the NHSC to ensure access to care for millions of people living in shortage areas.

the website is http://clinicians.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-NHSC-Policy-Paper.pdf

ORC and first tuition reimbursement should be this week, correct?

Does anyone know what will happen if congress doesn't extend the NHSC funding. I know I heard that the funding was supposed to end Sep 30, 2017. This is what is found if you search on google about the issue:

"Prior to FY2009, the NHSC was funded through the annual appropriations process. Today, the program is funded at $310 million through a dedicated trust fund that was extended through FY2017 under the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA). To date, no action has been taken to extend funding, and the NHSC trust fund now faces elimination. Without Congressional action, the funding for the NHSC will expire on September 30, 2017, which will cause an immediate and severe impact in underserved areas across the country. This potential lapse in funding will result in a dramatically decreased field strength, jeopardizing access to care for millions of people. It is crucial to continue to fund and grow the NHSC to ensure access to care for millions of people living in shortage areas.

the website is http://clinicians.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-NHSC-Policy-Paper.pdf

My guess is that they will stop enrolling new people into the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked with my PSO today and was told ORC payments will be no later than the end of next week, but may be coming as early as some time this week. Hope this helps with any confusion!

Yeah this is a problem for not only scholars, but also clinicians. The clinic I work at gets 70% of its funding from the same/similar funding and right now it is unclear if our clinics will be able to stay open past our next fiscal year if the funding is not renewed.

Has anyone received the ORC breakdown email that broadly goes over what the funds are for?

Just woke up with a massive amount of money in my account! :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

So did I! I received the past 4 months stipend as well as about $2000 additional (ORC?) but I have not received anything for my dental kit for this semester (~$7000). Anyone else out there in the same boat? Also, were we supposed to get an extra $2000 for a laptop?

So did I! I received the past 4 months stipend as well as about $2000 additional (ORC?) but I have not received anything for my dental kit for this semester (~$7000). Anyone else out there in the same boat? Also, were we supposed to get an extra $2000 for a laptop?

I have an extra $1,500 that can’t be accounted for with ORC, so I’m thinking that’s computer portion.

My tuition loans from the summer and fall 2017 semesters have not been reversed yet. My financial aid office hasn't heard back from the NHSC since sending in the invoice. From reading previous threads, this usually occurs before the stipend is dispersed. Is everyone else still waiting as well?

Yes. Not sure when the money will come through for Tuition and Fees.

My tuition loans from the summer and fall 2017 semesters have not been reversed yet. My financial aid office hasn't heard back from the NHSC since sending in the invoice. From reading previous threads, this usually occurs before the stipend is dispersed. Is everyone else still waiting as well?
Yeah I have no idea when my school actually received my tuition payment. The guy in charge of my account just marked it as paid and trusted that they would eventually get the money.

in the portal, it says my tuition payment was processed back in september. Around mid-october is when my school changed my financial award to reflect the nhsc reward. have yall checked your accounts?

in the portal, it says my tuition payment was processed back in september. Around mid-october is when my school changed my financial award to reflect the nhsc reward. have yall checked your accounts?

Well, I just checked. Everything has processed (ORC, Tuition and Fees, Stipend), but I still don't have the ~$7000 I need for my dental instruments. I've just sent the NHSC an email.

Well, I just checked. Everything has processed (ORC, Tuition and Fees, Stipend), but I still don't have the ~$7000 I need for my dental instruments. I've just sent the NHSC an email.

In the application guide it says that eligible fees include laboratory fees (what my school puts my instruments under on my bill). Yet if your schools marks it as instruments on the bill it may not be covered seeing as the ORC includes instruments or clinical supplies and thus is not an eligible fee.

In the application guide it says that eligible fees include laboratory fees (what my school puts my instruments under on my bill). Yet if your schools marks it as instruments on the bill it may not be covered seeing as the ORC includes instruments or clinical supplies and thus is not an eligible fee.

My school marks it as "Books and Supplies"

“Books and supplies” are ineligible fees per the guide

Actually, that is incorrect:
upload_2017-11-3_14-33-19.png

upload_2017-11-3_14-35-39.png

The portal does show that the tuition payment has been processed back in September, but my financial aid office hasn't heard anything. My loans have not been returned to the lender since no communication from the NHSC to my school has occurred since the submission of the invoice, so interest is still accruing. I can't seem to get a straight answer if this is the typical waiting process; maybe I'm just trying to rush things along that can't be rushed.

Just got an email from NHSC.

This is what is included in my ORC
health insurance
computer/software purchase
books and supplies

Just got an email from NHSC.

This is what is included in my ORC
health insurance
computer/software purchase
books and supplies

Do the numbers add up pretty well with what was on your cost of attendance sheet?

Do the numbers add up pretty well with what was on your cost of attendance sheet?

For me it was exactly what my school allots for books/supplies and insurance, as well as $1,500 for a computer.

For me it was exactly what my school allots for books/supplies and insurance, as well as $1,500 for a computer.

Was the $1,500 on this years expenses for school? In other words, are you a first year student as well as a first year scholar?

Was the $1,500 on this years expenses for school? In other words, are you a first year student as well as a first year scholar?

That was not apart of my school’s FA budget, but it was on my ORC breakdown. Yes, both first year student and scholar.

Last edited:
when does the application open for the 2018-2019 class?

Well, I worked the issue out. All I had to do in order to get my dental kit paid for was to submit an invoice for the dental kit, a cost itemization of the dental kit, and then a photo of the check that I used to pay for it. Glad to learn how the process works, I think I may have to do that next semester as well.

Well, I worked the issue out. All I had to do in order to get my dental kit paid for was to submit an invoice for the dental kit, a cost itemization of the dental kit, and then a photo of the check that I used to pay for it. Glad to learn how the process works, I think I may have to do that next semester as well.
Glad you got it figured out. I had some weird little issues with my payments as well, but once I figured it out, it was just a matter of repeating the process a few more times when the issue would arise again.

With the new additional tax being taken, is everyone's payment and tax amount correct in the portal? Mine still shows the previous amount of tax being taken out, not including the new additional tax, even though I was taxed more.

With the new additional tax being taken, is everyone's payment and tax amount correct in the portal? Mine still shows the previous amount of tax being taken out, not including the new additional tax, even though I was taxed more.
Same! What is the additional tax?