Non-Traditional Applicant (Business Graduate) DDS advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalschool1010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need help with advice for applying to dental school based on my specific situation. I am a non-traditional applicant, and here are more details about my current situation.

- Undergrad at one of top 50 universities in USA (BBA Bachelors of Business Admin) graduated a year early (3 years instead of 4) but had some serious personal problems and GPA wasn't that good. Got a 2.93 from universities gpa and with transfer credits added in 3.1
- Have been working as operations managers for past 3 year
- Candidate for Masters degree is MSc Supply Chain (will graduate very soon) so far GPA is 3.5 (because of plus -minus system mainly should only go higher not lower)
-Have not completed any pre-reqs except gen chem I (89 B)

I was always very interested in the medical/dental field and did a lot of volunteer and shadow work in high school (200 hours+) but I got a 89 in gen chem I and thought it was over. Which I regret now because I ended up doing worse in business. Besides the point, I am a really good standardized test taker, and had a high SAT and GRE school in comparison to my GPA. As for work, I am doing great and been growing rapidly in my field. I will definitely have some great recommendation letters from work and my Masters program.

Questions:

1. Be honest, what are my chances?
2. Where should I complete my pre-reqs?
3. Can I complete pre-reqs at community college?
4. While working can I do online classes and in person labs to complete pre-reqs?
5. Do I need to do any kind of shadowing/extra-curric?
6. What kind of DAT score will I need to prove my candidacy?
7. I don't mind moving to Dental school but pre-reqs I would like to complete in Texas, what programs are good?

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate any and all kinds of honest advice!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Be honest, what are my chances?
2. Where should I complete my pre-reqs?
3. Can I complete pre-reqs at community college?
4. While working can I do online classes and in person labs to complete pre-reqs?
5. Do I need to do any kind of shadowing/extra-curric?
6. What kind of DAT score will I need to prove my candidacy?
7. I don't mind moving to Dental school but pre-reqs I would like to complete in Texas, what programs are good?

1. Very hard to judge without a DAT score, but right now not great given the GPA. You're doing better in the Master's, but try to raise it as much as possible.
2. Anywhere not a community college, if you can avoid it.
3. You can, but you shouldn't. Most schools don't want to see pre-reqs taken at a community college.
4. You should also try to avoid taking online classes as much as possible. Sometimes they're necessary, but again, dental schools will want to see that you took most of your coursework at a 4 year university.
5. Yes, if you haven't done any since high school, I think you want to get involved with both to demonstrate more recent interest in the field.
6. Aim for as high a score as possible. At least a 20, but ideally higher. With your GPA, I would shoot for 23+ to remove any doubts about your ability to handle the curriculum.
7. Can't answer this one, I'm not too familiar with Texas colleges - sorry!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Very hard to judge without a DAT score, but right now not great given the GPA. You're doing better in the Master's, but try to raise it as much as possible.
2. Anywhere not a community college, if you can avoid it.
3. You can, but you shouldn't. Most schools don't want to see pre-reqs taken at a community college.
4. You should also try to avoid taking online classes as much as possible. Sometimes they're necessary, but again, dental schools will want to see that you took most of your coursework at a 4 year university.
5. Yes, if you haven't done any since high school, I think you want to get involved with both to demonstrate more recent interest in the field.
6. Aim for as high a score as possible. At least a 20, but ideally higher. With your GPA, I would shoot for 23+ to remove any doubts about your ability to handle the curriculum.
7. Can't answer this one, I'm not too familiar with Texas colleges - sorry!

Thank you so much for all the feedback!