Non traditional Student applying with unique experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LidocaineMane32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m applying this cycle and am hoping my experiences can help elevate my application. I’ve been a dental hygienist for 5 years and have been in the military for the past 11 years. My stats are ok and I only have an associates degree but I’m applying to ~10 schools and would like to know yalls feedback on your experiences and maybe even recommend some other schools to apply to.

GPA: 3.59
DAT: AA 18/ Bio 17/ GC 18/ OC 20/ RC 17 / QR 17
Associates in dental hygiene
11 years military experience and currently in the national guard

schools applying to:
DCG
KENTUCKY
Roseman
OSU
UAB
Creighton
NOVA
University of TN

im casting a wide net as you can see in hopes to at least get some interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I’m applying this cycle and am hoping my experiences can help elevate my application. I’ve been a dental hygienist for 5 years and have been in the military for the past 11 years. My stats are ok and I only have an associates degree but I’m applying to ~10 schools and would like to know yalls feedback on your experiences and maybe even recommend some other schools to apply to.

GPA: 3.59
DAT: AA 18/ Bio 17/ GC 18/ OC 20/ RC 17 / QR 17
Associates in dental hygiene
11 years military experience and currently in the national guard

schools applying to:
DCG
KENTUCKY
Roseman
OSU
UAB
Creighton
NOVA
University of TN

im casting a wide net as you can see in hopes to at least get some interviews

you should apply to more schools
what is your state of residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people apply having a bachelors degree, which I believe (I’d like to hear from other nontrads with an AA that have received acceptance) is typically a fundamental (possibly necessary?) part of an application, so you’re a unique case. Given your nontrad background, I would guess your DAT is lower than most schools would like to see. However your strong military background will be highly regarded and potentially could makeup for some low points in your app. What is your sGPA?

Last edited:
Most people apply having a bachelors degree, which I believe (I’d like to hear from other nontrads with an AA that have received acceptance) is typically a fundamental (possibly necessary?) part of an application, so you’re a unique case. Given your nontrad background, I would guess your DAT is lower than most schools would like to see. However your strong military background will be highly regarded and potentially could makeup for some low points in your app. What is your sGPA?
I went through the ADEA Explorer and picked out schools that didn’t require (but encouraged) a bachelors. The ones that required one I didn’t even bother applying to. My science GPA is 3.6 and I have a good upward trend over the past 3 years with a GPA of 3.8.... my DAT does worry me but I was told by one school to go ahead and apply with all the uncertainty and rescheduling going on (Covid) it’d be tough to Retake it before cut offs.

Reactions: 1 user