Non-Traditional Student - Best Way to Overcome App Weaknesses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1042333

Twelve years ago I was a pre-med chemistry major, where I completed 1/2 year of Biology, 1 year of Gen Chem, 1/2 year of Physics, and 1 1/2 year of Calculus. I ended up changing majors and transferred to an art school where I earned a BFA in painting and drawing. After graduating I took courses at a community college, where I earned a lot of Ws and Fs. The courses I took at CC were not in one area of study (shows a lack of focus).

I know it's going to take a lot of time and work to get my grades up and prove my dedication before I apply to medical schools. I just want to know the best way to do it.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.11
sGPA: 3.40
Art BFA pass/fail point system
Number of schools: 3
Number of majors: 4

To increase my grades: I don't have any pre-req lower than a C. Would it best to finsh my pre-reqs at CC, then complete an academic record enhancement post-bacc program (like UC consortium)? Or, complete a career-changer post-bacc program instead?

To show my commitment/ clear direction/ ability: Would it be beneficial to goto to SMP at a medical school after completing a post-bacc?

Or, is there a better way to overcome the listed app weaknesses?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion is to finish your remaining medical pre-reqs. Either formal career-changer post-bac or DIY post-bac. Along with science classes, take some non-science GPA booster classes to get cGPA close to where your sGPA is. That would be DIY post-bac though. Formal post-baccs are all science classes.

The thing with formal post-bac programs is that they tend to offer you good support throughout your pre-med journey. Shadowing opportunities. Research opportunities. MCAT prep resources. Recommendation letters/committee letters. Even linkage agreements to medical school.

Benefit of DIY post-bac is flexibility. You take whatever you want/need to take.

Once done with or during post-bac, take the MCAT. Score >500 then apply all D.O. Since U.S. schools look at more than grades, build up shadowing, volunteer, and leadership(if possible) hours.

Since your academic record is so long ago and not actually that bad with >3.0 c/sGPA, if you do well starting now, you'll have no problem.

Thoughts @Goro

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My suggestion is to finish your remaining medical pre-reqs. Either formal career-changer post-bac or DIY post-bac. Along with science classes, take some non-science GPA booster classes to get cGPA close to where your sGPA is. That would be DIY post-bac though. Formal post-baccs are all science classes.

The thing with formal post-bac programs is that they tend to offer you good support throughout your pre-med journey. Shadowing opportunities. Research opportunities. MCAT prep resources. Recommendation letters/committee letters. Even linkage agreements to medical school.

Benefit of DIY post-bac is flexibility. You take whatever you want/need to take.

Once done with or during post-bac, take the MCAT. Score >500 then apply all D.O. Since U.S. schools look at more than grades, build up shadowing, volunteer, and leadership(if possible) hours.

Since your academic record is so long ago and not actually that bad with >3.0 c/sGPA, if you do well starting now, you'll have no problem.

Thoughts @Goro
Agree 100%

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thoughts @Goro

Agree 100%

That makes sense. Thank you! Appreciate it. I'll raise my cGPA while building targeted EC hrs. Then, do a career-changer post-bacc. I understand the logic/agree with everything, except I'm going to apply to MD and DO - will have to get As + MCAT +510... but shoot for +513. :) This helped a bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user