Nontrad - High undergrad GPA - what route is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD09

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first post on this forum. I'm just looking for a little insight on the best route to take as a non-traditional pre-med student. Here's a little background:

I graduated in December 2016 with my BSN (I'm 23 years old, currently working as an RN). I've decided to pursue my dream of going to med school. I never pursued it because I didn't have enough confidence in myself as I started college. Now, I've completed my nursing degree with a 3.9 GPA. I have several awards, leadership roles, etc. (I tried to stay active on my college campus). The only problem is that I'm lacking almost every pre-req for med school. I've always been a strong student, so I don't doubt my ability to succeed in the pre-reqs.

My main reason for switching careers is that I prefer the medical model over the nursing model; although, I didn't realize there was even a distinction until I began working in the hospital.

So my question for you guys - do I attempt to enroll in a post-bacc program, take the courses "a la carte" at a local college, or pursue a second bachelor's degree? What has worked for you?

I appreciate your input! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! This is my first post on this forum. I'm just looking for a little insight on the best route to take as a non-traditional pre-med student. Here's a little background:

I graduated in December 2016 with my BSN (I'm 23 years old, currently working as an RN). I've decided to pursue my dream of going to med school. I never pursued it because I didn't have enough confidence in myself as I started college. Now, I've completed my nursing degree with a 3.9 GPA. I have several awards, leadership roles, etc. (I tried to stay active on my college campus). The only problem is that I'm lacking almost every pre-req for med school. I've always been a strong student, so I don't doubt my ability to succeed in the pre-reqs.

My main reason for switching careers is that I prefer the medical model over the nursing model; although, I didn't realize there was even a distinction until I began working in the hospital.

So my question for you guys - do I attempt to enroll in a post-bacc program, take the courses "a la carte" at a local college, or pursue a second bachelor's degree? What has worked for you?

I appreciate your input! Thanks so much!
Do a post-bacc, nail every course, and get the rest of your application components nailed down.

All the options are on the table for you. I'd say that from a purely financial perspective, getting your MD as soon as possible is in your favor, because every year you put it off is a year of lost physician salary ($200,000+). That means doing a post-bacc.

If you nail the post-bacc and do well on the MCAT, you'll be solid for the majority of MD programs in the country.

What state do you live in?