Nontrad - High undergrad GPA - what route is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RNtoMD09

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! This is my first post on this forum. I'm just looking for a little insight on the best route to take as a non-traditional pre-med student. Here's a little background:

I graduated in December 2016 with my BSN (I'm 23 years old, currently working as an RN). I've decided to pursue my dream of going to med school. I never pursued it because I didn't have enough confidence in myself as I started college. Now, I've completed my nursing degree with a 3.9 GPA. I have several awards, leadership roles, etc. (I tried to stay active on my college campus). The only problem is that I'm lacking almost every pre-req for med school. I've always been a strong student, so I don't doubt my ability to succeed in the pre-reqs.

My main reason for switching careers is that I prefer the medical model over the nursing model; although, I didn't realize there was even a distinction until I began working in the hospital.

So my question for you guys - do I attempt to enroll in a post-bacc program, take the courses "a la carte" at a local college, or pursue a second bachelor's degree? What has worked for you?

I appreciate your input! Thanks so much!
 
Hi all! This is my first post on this forum. I'm just looking for a little insight on the best route to take as a non-traditional pre-med student. Here's a little background:

I graduated in December 2016 with my BSN (I'm 23 years old, currently working as an RN). I've decided to pursue my dream of going to med school. I never pursued it because I didn't have enough confidence in myself as I started college. Now, I've completed my nursing degree with a 3.9 GPA. I have several awards, leadership roles, etc. (I tried to stay active on my college campus). The only problem is that I'm lacking almost every pre-req for med school. I've always been a strong student, so I don't doubt my ability to succeed in the pre-reqs.

My main reason for switching careers is that I prefer the medical model over the nursing model; although, I didn't realize there was even a distinction until I began working in the hospital.

So my question for you guys - do I attempt to enroll in a post-bacc program, take the courses "a la carte" at a local college, or pursue a second bachelor's degree? What has worked for you?

I appreciate your input! Thanks so much!
Do a post-bacc, nail every course, and get the rest of your application components nailed down.
 
All the options are on the table for you. I'd say that from a purely financial perspective, getting your MD as soon as possible is in your favor, because every year you put it off is a year of lost physician salary ($200,000+). That means doing a post-bacc.

If you nail the post-bacc and do well on the MCAT, you'll be solid for the majority of MD programs in the country.

What state do you live in?