Nontraditional applicant seeking any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaDaniel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a nontraditional applicant- I graduated three years ago with a b.s. in biochem. I have worked in chemistry labs for two years (environmental and forensics). I now work as a research associate at Vanderbilt University. I am in the process of studying for the MCAT. My undergrad GPA isn't too hot (3.6), so I know that I will need to do really well on the MCAT to be competitive. By the time I will be applying for schools in the fall I will have had about 100 hours emergency department volunteer hours as well as several hours of medical professional job shadowing. I was hoping to get some advice on what else I can do to become more competitive as well as what score I should aim for on the MCAT with a 3.6 GPA. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.

Members don't see this ad.

why are you applying in the fall? Apps open June.

Get more than 100 hrs healthcare experience. Like u said do well on MCAT. 510+. Have hobbies outside science? If not, start some.

Get some non-clinical volunteering (shoot for around 100 hours there as well) and get some physician shadowing (not sure if that's lumped in as part of your medical professional shadowing). If you plan on applying DO then get a DO LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
why are you applying in the fall? Apps open June.

Get more than 100 hrs healthcare experience. Like u said do well on MCAT. 510+. Have hobbies outside science? If not, start some.

I plan to begin the application process around June- but wont know which schools are in my range until after I have taken the MCAT. I now plan to take the test earlier (May or June)- would this give me enough time to retest before deadlines should I need a higher score?

I plan to begin the application process around June- but wont know which schools are in my range until after I have taken the MCAT. I now plan to take the test earlier (May or June)- would this give me enough time to retest before deadlines should I need a higher score?

May should be ok. Can retest in June if need be. Make sure other parts of app are complete asap.

This is a terrible way to think about it. If there are any more MCAT points you could possibly squeeze out of yourself when you take the test, your test prep failed. Med school admissions folks have been taking board exams forever and that's what they have in mind when they look at an MCAT record. You only get one shot at a good score on a board exam. Needing to retake a USMLE etc means you failed. If your USMLE etc score isn't as high as you'd like it, you get to live with that forever because there are no retakes.

Take the MCAT once. Take it when you're ready to get your best possible score. Take it in time to apply in June.

Your competition has a complete med school app on the first of June. That means MCAT score in hand, transcripts on their way to AMCAS, recommendation letters ready to uploaded by faculty, essay updated from unfriendly review.

3.6 isn't keeping you out of med school. Your main vulnerability at this point is understanding the app process. See the reapplicant forum for mistakes to avoid.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
The MCAT is a high stakes, career deciding exam. Take it ONLY when you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle. med schools aren't going anywhere.

The median MCAT score for acceptees is roughly 510, based upon percentiles.

Reactions: 1 user
I basically had a gap year just because I mistimed the MCAT. OK, that wasn't all, but was like 70% of it.

My app was otherwise good.

So totally worth a gap year to do it right as Goro says.