This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is easier/faster/cost-effective route for non-traditional applicant?

• PHD in a science field (biology/microbiology/neuroscience)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aquamarie

Reaction score
I switched from Nursing to Finance major and will graduate in May 2019 at 22yrs old. Recently Ive missed the challenge science brought me. I figured out recently I like researching things in-depth and I am always asking the why? question. So I've been drawn to wanting to conduct research at a PHD level or Medical Doctor.

My question is:
Realistically, What would be the easier, faster, cost-effective route in terms of where I am at right now? I have no research background. So i think it would be hard to get into grad school, and convince the school that I can handle pursuing a science-heavy degree ( biology/microbiology/neuroscience field) with a finance graduate. I feel that I would have to get a 4 yr biology degree just to pursue a phd. Unless there is another easier/faster/cheaper way to go about getting a phd that I dont know about? Advice?

I feel like MD route is an easier process to get in and faster method in terms of where I am at now. Thoughts? I really want to conduct research and I dont find MD/PHD route appealing its twice the cost and time for me. Its one or the other for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I wouldn’t really say that one is really easier than the other, since they focus on different things so I’ll jusy point out major differences between the two. I manage a research lab now so I can give you some insight based on my experiences working with graduate research programs.

Good thing about PhD programs is that the tuition is paid for and you get a stipend. Bad news about PhD programs is that you really don’t get paid a lot for how much you have to do and you will burn out if you’re not researching what you love. People get PhD degrees by finding a field they love, finding someone who currently does research in that field, and try to convince them to pay for the student for the next 3-7 years. That’s going to take a lot of passion and drive for that to happen. You’re going to need to hone down your interests a lot more to pursue a PhD. The graduate students in my building come in at 6am and leave 12 hours later, while getting paid sub-28k a year. Also, getting a PhD does not equal getting a job. Depending on the field (science is better than the humanities) a lot of PhD programs are pumping out graduates faster than current professors are retiring. Lastly, if you have not don’t research, I suggest you do. Medical research is not what most people think it is. 80% of my job is doing paperwork, fighting administration, and trying to do the most with a very small amount of money. Research would be incredibly fun with unlimited funds, but that is not the case. I do get to ask “why” a lot, but most of it is directly towards administration. As a student, you’ll have someone like me to deal with the paperwork, but you will still be restricted a lot more than you think you will.

The worst part of medical schools are their costs. You’ll need to take certain science prerequisites to apply, take a $350 MCAT test, and spend a whole lot of money to apply, only to have to get ready to take out anywhere between $100-300k in loans. Getting in is very difficult and surviving is rough as well. There is a lot you need to add to your application such as volunteering, shadowing, and research. It will take you probably at least 2 years to get that done before you’re ready to apply. Once you get out though, most doctor do have a job lined up, but it’s through residency match, which might move you to a new place where you have to move your family. And don’t forget about that loan replayment.

In MD/PhD programs, the PhD portion usually pays for some or all of the medical school tuition. Which is great from a money standpoint. But for these programs you have to apppy separately to both and hope you get into both, which means you need a stellar application to independently woo both a PhD program and the MD program at the same school.

If the choice is not clear to you, you really need to do some research and shadow some doctors to help you make your decision. Neither is a career option you should go into unles you are certain and passionate.