Noob Game 2020 Sign-Ups [CLOSED] - All New WW Players Welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When would you like the game to start? Pick your top 2. Games typically last 1-2 weeks

• December 17

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • December 18

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • December 19

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • December 20

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Later than the above options

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
I have had zero interest in wildlife/exotic my entire life. I just don’t care for it, and the idea of how much extra training you need to do to get confident in one of 1000 species seems like a waste of time when I could spend it getting really good in a category of things I will see frequently.
On an intellectual level I completely understand this, but I also get extremely bored when I get good enough at something that it's not much of a challenge anymore (or the challenges are less frequent). I love the feeling of always being on my toes and seeing many many different things every day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
On an intellectual level I completely understand this, but I also get extremely bored when I get good enough at something that it's not much of a challenge anymore (or the challenges are less frequent). I love the feeling of always being on my toes and seeing many many different things every day.
Saaaammmeee! And in path (regular or forensic) all the weird **** comes directly to you. Very fun

Reactions: 2 users
Haha yup I think it comes down to individual people and personality. I would rather have a bunch of complicated cases all in my wheelhouse topic rather than scratching the surface of everything. Which is why I’m leaning heavily towards specializing and doing IM. Still a challenge but something I’ll (theoretically) have a deeper understanding of mechanistically. Messy multiple endorinopathy case? Hell yes.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious how your PhD relates to surgery?
It’s more related to oncology because I’m working on genetic & extracellular matrix changes in osteosarcoma metastases that drive the development of chemoresistance, but part of my PhD was creating the model so we can study spontaneous mets in real time. Big challenge with osteo models is that the primary tumor grows so fast that looking at the development of mets over time is hard before hitting endpoint, but studies of mets seeded through IV injection don’t really accurately capture the metastatic cascade.

I’ve been working with a mouse model of induced primary tumors that I implant orthotopically, give time to develop and seed mets spontaneously, and then do standard of care therapies (surgery and chemo) so we can study the changes form the original primary tumor genetics to the mets in mice that get chemo and the mice that don’t. I’m also particularly interested in one particular ECM component that is upregulated in other tumor types and appears to be rich in bone tumors, currently determining if it increases in the lungs in response to chemo. Based on some of the covid-19 studies in the past year, I have reason to suspect it does.

That’s the shortened version, but I’d be happy to talk your ear off about it. :lol:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Haha yup I think it comes down to individual people and personality. I would rather have a bunch of complicated cases all in my wheelhouse topic rather than scratching the surface of everything. Which is why I’m leaning heavily towards specializing and doing IM. Still a challenge but something I’ll (theoretically) have a deeper understanding of mechanistically. Messy multiple endorinopathy case? Hell yes.
I'm glad people like you exist, too.

I think fundamentally people are either breadth or depth of knowledge types. I am definitely the former, so exotics/GP (or now ER) is all great for me. Scratch the surface of a lot of different things and send the (*shudder*) multiple endocrinopathies to you people, haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These are some of mine, or ones I've modded and can quickly grab off Google. Every mod does things slightly different, but it shows the gist.

Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon (don't ever run a game this big, take it from me).

Dark Circus (noob game).

Minecraft Dali (best colours imo).

Conseqwwences (STL game... beware).

Last edited:
  • Love
Every single time, I talk about naked mole rats and mention that if you had a kid growing up in the 90s, you might remember that they're also excellent at fighting crime (with a Kim Possible picture popping up), and then there's an awkward silence before I nervously laugh and move on.

Some day, it's going to hit the right audience and one person will laugh to make me feel better. It's coming. I can feel it.

I would laugh at this. I'm sorry everyone in your life is lame.

(Even if I do sometimes get Perry the Platypus and Rufus momentarily confused. :laugh:)

• Love
I would laugh at this. I'm sorry everyone in your life is lame.

(Even if I do sometimes get Perry the Platypus and Rufus momentarily confused. :laugh:)
I appreciate this. I keep telling myself people are laughing and I just can't tell because everything is on Zoom, but I'll have to come up with a new excuse if we ever go back to doing seminars in person.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You know how I used to be the friendly neighborhood tallier? Probably the reason why I got that role in the first place?

Yeah. That game broke me.

I was on vacation while modding that game and woke up way, way too early for many days in a row to calculate and send those convoluted ass results out.

I was done with STL and everything by the end. I think that game broke many people haha.

• Wow
Frickin ConseqWWences...:boom:
Fun fact: I attempted to follow that game and whatever game was played that March is the reason I joined SDN so I could follow that thread and find it again to read through it while you guys were playing :rofl:

Forever and always a tot

• Wow
The ConseqWWences spreadsheet... :wideyed: also I found the game thread itself and the person with the post restriction where they could only post in pictures has the most hilarious posts!! This is amazing

Man, I am reminiscing hard looking at these spreadsheets.

Minecraft Dali is still probably my favourite crazy ass game I've run, and I think it amused me waaaaay more than most of the people playing.

uaQtueB.png

Look at that melty mooshroom and his soulless eyes. Look deep.

LVV5cXW.png

Why does this exist.

qLk61yw.png

If it can't be put on crutches, is it even a Dali theme?

b5bTGoP.png

Nightmare fuel even to me, and I drew the damn thing.

Good times, good times.

• Wow
Is it weird that looking at all the spreadsheets is making me feel like I’d have even more fun with spreadsheet maintenance than actually playing? I’m a freak :rofl:

Is it weird that looking at all the spreadsheets is making me feel like I’d have even more fun with spreadsheet maintenance than actually playing? I’m a freak :rofl:
modding is clearly in your future

You can mod with me any time

Wherever blank cells exist, I just gave up on keeping track of stuff because it's twice the work

You can mod with me any time

Wherever blank cells exist, I just gave up on keeping track of stuff because it's twice the work
A lot of my smaller games I just said eff it to spreadsheets and kept track of things in mod PM...and sometimes that ends up happening towards the end of the larger ones too lol

• Haha

I only played a couple games before I started developing Rick and Morty. I definitely think there's a personality type who enjoys modding (maybe even a bit more than playing... and it's me, lol).

• Hmm
"Getting to know you" question...

What emergency food do you all keep around, and where do you keep it?
there are clif bars in like every pocket of every bag i own, sometimes i find emergency clif bars in surprising forgotten places

Right now I have half of an open box of cereal and a piece of frozen cheesecake in my car

There were pizzelle cookies until this morning

My spouse keeps rock hard, foil wrapped, brick shaped, unbranded "emergency food bars" in an earthquake bag he got years ago from a previous employer when we lived in earthquake territory

• Wow
"Getting to know you" question...

What emergency food do you all keep around, and where do you keep it?
I'm really bad at keeping food on hand. Soooo... do the stale apple-flavored horse treats in my car's cup holders count as emergency food? They smell really yummy

• Haha
I'm really bad at keeping food on hand. Soooo... do the stale apple-flavored horse treats in my car's cup holders count as emergency food? They smell really yummy
If they're the treats I'm thinking of, totally counts. Would definitely hit that if I was faced with starvation.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user