Nova-COM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A larger than expected class will only bother me if the COM doesn't have the resources to handle it (e.g., A large student to cadaver ratio).

My chica and I will be moving into Poinciana Lakes around July 10th. Anyone want to gather for an orientation of local drinking establishments?

Members don't see this ad.

I ordered some books today. I used mySimon.com to compare prices from all the internet book stores. Previously I had ordered books from Amazon, Medsite, etc. but this time I used a website called eCampus.com. This site was a lot cheaper than the other sites. For example, Foundations for Osteo. Medicine was $120.00 on amazon but only $91.57 on eCampus.
I decided to splurge and buy new books.

Just thought I would share.... :)

Hey Floridians
Ever noticed how many license plates we can choose from? 51 so far, Florida has more license plates then there are states!
Every university in FL has a plate, except Nova. I wonder if they are thinking about creating one. I noticed that the specialty plate make the school about $400,000 a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey DOby,

how did you know which books to buy? do you know how much the school's bookstore is charging?

:D

One of the club's sent out a letter from Amanda Flynn (M-2?) that tells you what books are crucial and other M1 advice. I am pretty sure it came with information from the Public Health Student Association Club.
As far as the NOVA bookstore prices, I expect them to be like every other university bookstore I have ever been in...expensive.

According to the letter, essential books are:

An osteopathic approach to diagnosis and treatment by DiGiovanna ISBN 0-397-51581-2
Foundations for osteopathic medicine by Ward ISBN 0683087924
textbook of physical diagnosis by m. schwartz ISBN 072167514x
Imaging atlas of human anatomy by weir ISBN 0723422834

And an anatomy guide like Netter, Grant's Dissector

:rolleyes: One month to go!

thanks for the info DOby! i don't think i ever got that sheet. i guess i better start looking these things.

Hey Boston,

I heard from some third year medical students that of the list of books Amanda sent out, the book called:

Foundations for osteopathic medicine by Ward ISBN 0683087924 is produced by the AOA and you never use. The same applies to the book called: An osteopathic approach to diagnosis and treatment by DiGiovanna ISBN 0-397-51581-2

They did explain to me that you do use the textbook of physical diagnosis by m. schwartz ISBN 072167514x for your preceportorship (class that is once every other week) and clinical correlation course. And you use the Imaging atlas of human anatomy by weir ISBN 0723422834 for anatomy. I think that there is another book missing from that list called: Grant's Dissector 12th edition. This book walks you through disceting your cadaver, but what really happens is that you are assigned 4 students to a body so not everyone needs a disector at the same time. FYI

As of 2000 there are two new chairpersons in the OMM department and they are apprently requireing us to use both : An osteopathic approach to diagnosis and treatment by DiGiovanna AND Foundations for osteopathic medicine by Ward

If you guys check the www.half.com web site you can find books really cheap; I was able to purchse all 5 in new to good condition for under $250 (219). Hope this helps some. Let me know if you guys find an site with cheap books.

Do you guys know if there is any way to get a list of the books we will be using for each class so that we can order them online and have the month to get them delivered?

Thanks! AJC :D

BostonDO-

Where are you from? I grew up in PEAbody Massachusetts, (note pronounceation).

Cheers,
-Fred

acaban,
They may also be trying to weed out some students. This only makes our courses harder. If in previous years they were giving half credit for an answer, now we will get the entire answer wrong.

Man that is really jumping the gun. Do you understand how much investment in a student the school has to make in a student that is there? Idle speculation is not a good thing and having met the professors there, we will be treated no differently tha any other class. The Histo prof is really cool and gives you all opportunities to succeed. Dr. Groseclose is great and a very nice woman as well in teh biochem div.

If this scares you, then perhaps medical school isn't up your alley. If so, relax and prepare to study and learn alot. :cool:

I couldn't agree more with that last post!! Everyone needs to really chill out, and not jump to any conclusions about anythings (class size, grading..etc.) b/4 school's even begun!! There's going to be a whole host of problems..that's life. No matter what business you're in, it's never perfect. You get out what you put in. It all comes down to notes, books, studying, and some common sense. And of course it doesn't hurt to have some quality profs. Anyway, as Jim Rome says, I'm out!! (rack him)

Oh my gosh!
All of this freaking out is starting to make me freak out!!!!!
From what I've heard from other students, once a school admits you, usually that's the end of the weeding out process. I know this is a strange situation, but let's try to get a grip. What have we got left? 30 days. Everyone just think happy thoughts. We'll probably need them for those long study days ahead.
-grl

Yes, besides Stanford had this very same problem a few years ago and all the classmates decided to gut it out and make the best of it.

Does anyone have space for another roomate? I jsut found out that the wife and I are going to split up for first year since I have a house here in Winter Park and the kids are settled. It will be better for first year anyway.

let me know via email. want something close so I can walk or ride a bike in fairly close to the school.
<[email protected]> :eek:

Hi..

If anyone's interested in joining a good workout club, then look into 24 hr. fitness/q club. It's on Pine Island Rd, about 5 minutes from school. They have a great deals on memberships. Bally's, I hear, is a dump.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey alperaar,

tell me more about this club... what are their fees, what kind of classes do they have, do they have nice equipment?

Hey also, where exactly is this club? Pem. Pines? Sunrise? Plantation?

alperaar,

that's good news! i've been looking for a club to join but it's hard to find out about them if your not already down there. this q club sounds pretty good and it's right down the street from my place. if you have any info on membership rates it'd be great if you could post them.

later

Hi...

the plan I got was pay up front 800 or so, which included tax, and that's it. It was for three years. However, you could opt out at the end of year two and recoup a third of your money. So, it's cheap in the long run if you do it this way, b/c you're definitely here for two years, so if you just stay for two years, it works out to about 30 bucks a month, but if you keep it all 3 years, it's about 20 bucks/ mo. Overall, super cheap compared to other places. They have a decent free weight area, hammer strength machines, great cardio machines, 2 aerobics rooms, big locker rooms, pool, sauna, hot tub, massage therapy. It's a really nice club. It's in plantation, right basically past peter's road on pine island on the right hand side if you're coming from Nova. They do have other, pay by month plans, but they're a little more expensive. I'm out!!

Hi futrfysician:

First of all, welcome to SDN! It's always good to find another classmate online. I wanted to address your point about being worried about our big incoming class and I can not agree with you more. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their summers and not stressing over classes yet. I hear we have a lot of cool events planned for orientation!

About you looking for a roommate: Have you tried contacting Fern? She is running the housing list and I am sure she would know if someone is looking for a roommate. In fact she can take down your contact info and if someone calls her, she can hook you up.

Hope this helps some! Have a good weekend!

AJC :D

Originally posted by acaban:
•Hi futrfysician:

About you looking for a roommate: Have you tried contacting Fern? She is running the housing list and I am sure she would know if someone is looking for a roommate. In fact she can take down your contact info and if someone calls her, she can hook you up.

Hope this helps some! Have a good weekend!

I am going to call on Monday. I did get three people who lurk in here to email and I have a few leads. Also a friend of mine and possibly another may be able to scrounge some space. I am sure it will work out. No one goes homeless in Med school. I will be heading back and forther from Winter Park to be back with the kids and wife frequently anyway. Weekends will find me vacant from Ft. Lauderdale, save, of course, Monday exam days, then I'll be camped out looking over your shoulder devising a new form of sign langueage I am sure.....(eg)

Originally posted by futrfysician:
• Weekends will find me vacant from Ft. Lauderdale, save, of course, Monday exam days, then I'll be camped out looking over your shoulder devising a new form of sign langueage I am sure.....(eg)

You are too much! You crack me up!

does anyone know what intramural sports are offered at nova?

later :cool:

Originally posted by boston DO:
•does anyone know what intramural sports are offered at nova?

later :cool:

Well, there is "tackling dummy for the Miami Dolphins" intramural, followed closely by "getting dunked on 45 times in one half by the Miami Heat" (because they can't shoot beyond the arc is why), and there is "stealing hub caps in teams". Also, the popular track and field events called "sweating your balls off during august" team eventing where you run 3 miles on a hot field at noon on a Wednesday (wed. is always hotter isn't it?), then bicycle 10 around the track, then tote a 50lb ball and chain across a football field back and forth until you pass out. Those are always the most popular thigns I hear to do in South Florida. But I could be wrong.... :D ;)

Originally posted by alperaar:
•Bally's, I hear, is a dump.•

D'oh! I just joined Bally's last month. Well, I hope it is at least a tolerable dump. I don't see why we can't just use the Dolphins' training facility. :D

This may be a dumb question, but when do we get a check for our loans? I figured that the loans to pay for tuition we would never see, but what about money for books, and living expenses?
I just can't talk to the finacial aid people. They talk so fast like I understand all of what they're saying and then are rude if I ask them to explain what they just said. Please help!
-grl

The financial aid people are rude, and they do get angry when you ask them to explain themselves. Sorry, I just thought it was their job or something...but I guess I'm wrong. The FA people told me that the they are almost done putting together the DO's packages, and we will be informed of the aid we will receive via an "award letter" that we should get in a week or so. The letter tells us what aid we received based on our loan applications. If we need additional aid, then we need to contact the "lenders" ourselves. Possible lenders are given in the FA booklet that we got at our interview and in a subsequent mailing. Now, I'm not sure, but once you receive your award letter, I think you have to accept the loans via a simple signature or something. Also, about the living expenses...I believe the entirety of our loan will be applied ot our student account, and our tuition will also be applied to our account. Whatever the difference is should be direct deposited into our accounts (or if you dont have DD, then I'm sure you can pick it up) by way of a refund check. I hope this helps.

Much clearer, thank you very much!
See you in a few weeks!

Does anyone have high-speed internet via cable or DSL who lives in Davie? I'm moving next week to an APartment complex that I just found out does not offer cable internet. If anyone does please give me the name of your service, and the details. thanks

j

Hey guys,

Im really interested in goin to NOVA next year....and i know some find these type of questions awkward, but they're important sometimes....but anyway, if any of you guys wouldnt mind sharing your stats me and im sure a bunch of other future D.O's would greatly appreciate it

Thanks!!

Hey Haljello:

Where are you going to undergrad? In the 'burbs? I noticed you were from Chicago. I just graduated from Elmhurst College and I'm starting at Nova this year.

;)

Have any of you had problems with the Citi Assist Loan?

Nova applied for a citi assist loan for me and I have gotten TWO letters from Citi Assist saying that they were enclosing an already-completed application and asking me to sign and return the application.

The catch is that in BOTH letters, they forgot to enclose the application!! :eek: :eek: DUH!!!

I'd be happy to sign the application, just send it to me! I'm tired of dealing with the Citibank people. I've spoken to them so many times and I get a different story every time.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I called the financial aid people at Nova about all this Citi Assist nonsense. The Nova people were very helpful once I got through to them. They didn't seem rude to me, thank goodness! :)

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

i live in bensenville but go to u of i in urbana champaign... i actually knew a couple of guys that went to elmhurst college

oh yea... im using this name cuz for some reason halaljello doesnt want to log in

Hey All!
My computer and I have been out of commision for a few weeks due to a lightning storm (wiped my pc out), buying a new place, moving, and giving my new abode a new overhall. The whole renovation process isn't as fun as I'd thought it would be.
I am truly up for going out now! The Himarshee (sp?) district is pretty happenin', so I hear! I am ready to go out whenever! This weekend is great.
The low down on this class size dilemma. Dr. Silvagni said that they have always accept more people than they expect to actually matriculate in the past, using a certain ratio of acceptances to those they expect to actually matriculate. Though 55% of the students accepted in the previous years end up chosing to matriculate to another school, not this year! A MUCH higher percent ended up chosing NSU over their other options.
I say a lot of it has to do with the impact Dr. Silvagni has had on the school in the past two years. Props to the man with the cool mustache! :D

Stickboy (Fred)
I'll be in touch ASAP! Have you moved yet? Found a place in Weston? I hope the stuff I sent to you has helped!

J8463dp
I have just given up cable access as well! I've been told that the service isn't available all over Broward, but in "pockets." Luckily for me, downtown and East of downtown have cable available. Check with the cable company. My friends in Weston have cable access! They are directly west of Davie.

I'll be checkin' out the paper City Link. They have all the events! Lets decide on a meeting place and have a 2005 hangtime!

Hi Kate,

Welcome back! I was wondering what you were up to. Count me in if you plan on going out this weekend! Just send me some e-mail: [email protected]

Wow, 234. That will make it really hard to get to know everyone. I will however, do my best.

I have been pondering what the pros and cons from such a large class would be. I seriously doubt that NSU would accept so many candidates only to have to eventully bid them farewell. What would this say about their education? The goal of every school should be to present itself as substantial learning institution. That's why one of the most common questions I heard from the interviewees was along the lines of what is your retention rate? and what is the success rate on the boards? Also, having taught high school chemistry for the past 7 years has taught me a thing or two. Pertaining to the issue at hand, the larger your class size the more variety you will have in academic levels and learning styles. In order to cater to these variables you must come to a middle ground whereby, you will target the larger population, the average student. Obviously we are all at some higher level of critical thinking or else we would not have gotten thus far. However, I believe a large class size may benefit us all. For the brainiac, perhaps some down time. For the student who has to go the extra mile, a small silver lining.

All in all it is to the school's advantage to keep all 234 of us. Passing rates are very important in the world of education, even when you are educating doctors.

So let's all look on the bright side and see this as an opportunity to have many talents all in the same place at the same time. With odds like that I'd say we are off to a pretty neat start! :D

Is anyone up for meeting at O'Hare's on Los Olas this Sunday evening, the 15th? They have live jazz, no cover, pretty good snack food (so I've been told), and a full bar for those (of us) that that enjoy a beer/cocktail! We could meet at a table on the outside patio. The music starts around 7 or 8, I believe. Tell me what you think! :D We could then share our concerns, excitement, and frustrations (see previous posts concerning financial aid ;) ) in person. Bring a significant other/spouse/friend!

Welcome beakerbetty. I'm glad to see that you found the site!
(Sorry I didn't think to tell you about it before)
-kk

Hey kk,

What's up? So when will SoFla have the pleasure of your company?

Thanx for the 411 on the SDN. It is really cool and informative!

See ya in a couple of weeks.

By the way don't forget to stop and see Fern...Benji's waiting :)

Ciao,
beakerbetty

beakerbetty,

First of all, Benji scares me. Does it bother anyone else that he is NOT REAL, nor is he one of the 234 students in our class, even though Fern told me that he could help me study?!

Also, I am not moving down until the 25th. I want to go to all of these "mixers" that people keep planning, but I won't be there. It's gonna be pretty tight being that I have 5 days to accustom myself to the area. But, I wanna play before we all have to meet in "mandatory fun" settings.

I must ask, who is Benji? I admit, though obviously sweet, I have filtered most of what Fern has said to me, trying to listen for any pertinent info. I remember something about Teli-tubbies, "special" candy (though I ate it right after she gave it to me, which I hear was not the intention), and her adorable grandson (at least I assume that's who was in the picture on her desk). I don't remember anything about Benji. Just curious! Her random thoughts are actually amusing, and I don't say that with a condescending tone. It is amazing and amusing how she handles so much so quickly. It is like she is in her own "Fern's World." Just a few random thoughts on the woman behind the desk!
:)

Benji is, in fact......the red, candy-bearing Telletubby!
I do agree with you that Fern is an amazing woman, juggling a lot at once. Like when she goes out of her way to compose housing lists for us. That is really nice, I think. However, she is nonetheless a very, um...eccentric woman.

Hola Senoritas y Senoras..

I just returned from Peru and had a blast!! Too bad I'm going back up to Michigan for a week and a half to hang w/ the homies, or else I'd obviously like to partake in the adult beverage scene prior to orientation week!! See everyone soon.

Hi Future Classmates!
I hope everyone will be able to meet up at O'Hare's on Las Olas this Sunday evening, the 15th! Look for a guy in funky Drew Carry glasses with blond streaks in his hair (that would be my hubby) sitting with a blond female on the outside patio, we'll get there around 7:30, in time to hear the live funk/jazz thing they got going on. Bring your spouse/significant other!
ScottI know I'll see you Sunday, but post up, brother! Reading only is not allowed :D ;) :D

Alperaar
Still jealous about Peru! Sorry you can't make it-have fun in your hometown.

Alfonsito
Ditto on Fern-eccentric! :D :confused: ;)

Hello everyone,
I am excited to meet you all this sunday or during orientatiion. I am a native south floridian so if anyone has any question let me know
Scott

hey all!!

i just finished my move down to south florida!! :) i'm down in plantation about ten minutes from school. i'll definitely try and make it to o'haras on sunday. hopefully the rain will stay away for a couple that nite to let us all have a good time!

later :D

When I came down for my interview, the other interviewees told me that it rains everyday down there. I that really true? Also, being from good ole MO, I have a lot of long sleeve shirts, pants and sweaters....will I ever get to use them down there? Should I pack them, or leave them behind?

it is always hot in florida. It doesn't get cold until after Jan. Don't pack many winter clothes. You'll be ok through the fall. After winter break you can bring some from home.
good luck and see everyone soon

alfonsito,

As promised, yes it rains alot here in FLA. Especially now that it is summer. Sunny one minute, storming the next. Your best friend is your umbrella.

There are few moments during the winter season when you can unstash those sweaters and coats but you will don them on in the morning and be taking it off by mid day.

By the way, how come I didn't here about the outing to O'haras? Anything else on the agenda for this weeekend?

I went to Nova and purchased some texts last Friday. While there, I met two MS2's (the nicest girls) Nevertheless, one girl mentioned that the scrubs that they sell at the bookstore are not that good (especially for the girls because they fit really funny). She suggested that we get them from the people that we ordered our white coats from. She also stated that any color goes. You name the color and students wear them. I know of a store in Hialeah (A little far from school) where many of South Florida's hospitals order from. (My son's ped. told me about it)

Just thought this might help those that have not ordered them through the guy mentioned in our packet. :)

I had fun at O'Hara's last Sunday! It was great to meet some of my future classmates. I hope we can do it again soon!

Kate