Nova MSB Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is the program diffucult to get into WITH my grades?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont know

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

throwawaymed1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long story short, got my stuff together extremely late after getting kicked out of my uni. Im gonna graduate this semester with roughly cGPA; 2.4 and sGPA: 2.43 with NO grade forgiveness. With grade forgiveness, which is my transcript show, I'll prob be at cGPA: 2.7 and sGPA: 2.5-6. My last two years have averaged around 3.0 for both category and 3.5 for non BCPM assuming I count fresh POST getting dismissed. Getting a post bacc seems out of the picture since I'm gonna graduate with around 150+ credits so I was wondering what my chances were with an MCAT score of 505+ (aiming for 510+) which I believe is extremely doable for me.
It seems like an amazing way to helping me continue my dream of going medical school even though I carry all this baggage that I know doesn't define me. I didn't get those horrible grades because I wasn't smart enough, it was more of my lack of caring at that time. When I eventually got dismissed and got back into things, it took me a while to get into "school shape" as I went from doing nothing for 3 years to back to class daily and taking full time classes.
Sorry I'm all over the place but with all this being said, is there a realistic chance of being accepted into this program? Is it extremely difficult to get in? On the website it says minimum 2.5 and I'm afraid I wont have that is they calculate it with ALL my grades. Are they lenient if that's the case since im almost there with a 2.4?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the post-bacc. Get a 4.0 and raise that GPA to at least a 3.0. Even if you kill the MCAT, your GPA is really lacking.

Take the post-bacc. Get a 4.0 and raise that GPA to at least a 3.0. Even if you kill the MCAT, your GPA is really lacking.
You didnt answer his question. Hes talking about a masters

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Long story short, got my stuff together extremely late after getting kicked out of my uni. Im gonna graduate this semester with roughly cGPA; 2.4 and sGPA: 2.43 with NO grade forgiveness. With grade forgiveness, which is my transcript show, I'll prob be at cGPA: 2.7 and sGPA: 2.5-6. My last two years have averaged around 3.0 for both category and 3.5 for non BCPM assuming I count fresh POST getting dismissed. Getting a post bacc seems out of the picture since I'm gonna graduate with around 150+ credits so I was wondering what my chances were with an MCAT score of 505+ (aiming for 510+) which I believe is extremely doable for me.
It seems like an amazing way to helping me continue my dream of going medical school even though I carry all this baggage that I know doesn't define me. I didn't get those horrible grades because I wasn't smart enough, it was more of my lack of caring at that time. When I eventually got dismissed and got back into things, it took me a while to get into "school shape" as I went from doing nothing for 3 years to back to class daily and taking full time classes.
Sorry I'm all over the place but with all this being said, is there a realistic chance of being accepted into this program? Is it extremely difficult to get in? On the website it says minimum 2.5 and I'm afraid I wont have that is they calculate it with ALL my grades. Are they lenient if that's the case since im almost there with a 2.4?
Thank you!

I got into a post bacc with a technical GPA of 2.4 last year. It took me 7 years of undergrad and two degrees to dig myself out of that hole and prove I was ready. I would strongly expect they’re going to calculate using all of your grades. You will have to contact them to be completely sure.

Getting into medical school when you’re technically a non-viable candidate is a marathon. You’re going to need to put in the time that others with a better GPA already did. Get your MCAT done, take more classes to get where you need to be, and accumulate as much clinical experience as you can in the meantime. This might take multiple years for a minuscule chance of success. It took me 8 total years to be in medical school now and there were lots of dark points along the way. I went for it because I knew I’d never be satisfied until I exhausted every option I could. If it’s that worth it to you, figure out the exact plan to have every part of your application perfected and do it perfectly.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I got into a post bacc with a technical GPA of 2.4 last year. It took me 7 years of undergrad and two degrees to dig myself out of that hole and prove I was ready. I would strongly expect they’re going to calculate using all of your grades. You will have to contact them to be completely sure.

Getting into medical school when you’re technically a non-viable candidate is a marathon. You’re going to need to put in the time that others with a better GPA already did. Get your MCAT done, take more classes to get where you need to be, and accumulate as much clinical experience as you can in the meantime. This might take multiple years for a minuscule chance of success. It took me 8 total years to be in medical school now and there were lots of dark points along the way. I went for it because I knew I’d never be satisfied until I exhausted every option I could. If it’s that worth it to you, figure out the exact plan to have every part of your application perfected and do it perfectly.
Would you mind telling me what post bacc program you did? And also, congratulations you are truly an inspiration and I have no doubt you will be a great doctor someday!

Would you mind telling me what post bacc program you did? And also, congratulations you are truly an inspiration and I have no doubt you will be a great doctor someday!

I did what is now called the "VCOM MABS", which I believe is now a 3.0 GPA requirement with no grade replacement. I applied the year they took away grade replacement for AACOMAS but VCOM was still doing it for the post-bacc. I don't think that particular one is on the table for you, especially considering the application count skyrocketed to literally thousands of applicants rivaling their med school app numbers (since they have a guaranteed acceptance if you're successful).

I would communicate with Nova your situation *after* you do your MCAT so you can give them a picture of where you'll be and if it's a good fit for you. There are lots of post-bacc programs out there. Do lots of research.