Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since NSU is unranked, would a letter of intent or possibly another letter of recommendation help my chances?

Expressing your interest in a program is always a good idea when it comes to getting off of a WL, especially if you have personal ties to the area.
 
The year I was accepted I wasn't taken off the wait list until late June / early July. You all still have some time so don't lose hope. I would definitely recommend sending letter of intent if you are truly interested in nova. Best of Luck to you all.
 
Has anyone been accepted or heard back from the 4/12 interview?

Hey! did your letter say alternate or waiting list?

I got my waitlist letter today. It says "alternate." Is there a difference between a waitlist and alternate?

I interviewed on 4/12 and was placed on the Alternate List via mail the following week. I think Alternate List is the same thing as a waitlist from the way the Admissions Counselors talked about it (i.e. you either get accepted, placed on an alternate list, or rejected), but that's just my guess.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 4/12 and was placed on the Alternate List via mail the following week. I think Alternate List is the same thing as a waitlist from the way the Admissions Counselors talked about it (i.e. you either get accepted, placed on an alternate list, or rejected), but that's just my guess.
I interviewed 4/11 but haven't heard anything (mail or email). Should I take this as a bad sign? Or is anyone still waiting on a reply as well?
 
I interviewed 4/11 but haven't heard anything (mail or email). Should I take this as a bad sign? Or is anyone still waiting on a reply as well?
I know there were a couple of people on this thread who had to wait several weeks (month +) before receiving any notification. The deadline for people holding multiple acceptances to make a decision is April 30th, so there should definitely be more info coming out soon. (Or just email the admissions team, they've always been helpful with my requests.)
 
I know there were a couple of people on this thread who had to wait several weeks (month +) before receiving any notification. The deadline for people holding multiple acceptances to make a decision is April 30th, so there should definitely be more info coming out soon. (Or just email the admissions team, they've always been helpful with my requests.)
AACOMAS reports to schools the students with multiple acceptances and held seats on May 15.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since NSU is unranked, would a letter of intent or possibly another letter of recommendation help my chances?

there is no official ranking system for D.O. programs. Know that PCOM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM, and TOURO are the top tier D.O. schools, with equal or higher averages than about 10% of national M.D. programs. That said, NSU uses real physician consultation when reviewing your file, so a letter of intent wouldn't be a bad idea.
 
there is no official ranking system for D.O. programs. Know that PCOM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM, and TOURO are the top tier D.O. schools, with equal or higher averages than about 10% of national M.D. programs. That said, NSU uses real physician consultation when reviewing your file, so a letter of intent wouldn't be a bad idea.
He/she means they don't "rank" their waitlist, although I'm not sure how he/she knows that.
 
there is no official ranking system for D.O. programs. Know that PCOM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM, and TOURO are the top tier D.O. schools, with equal or higher averages than about 10% of national M.D. programs. That said, NSU uses real physician consultation when reviewing your file, so a letter of intent wouldn't be a bad idea.
Yes I meant if a letter of intent would help for an unranked waitlist system. I also got the CMO of my company to write me a letter so I hope that gives me a push to get in!
 
Yes I meant if a letter of intent would help for an unranked waitlist system. I also got the CMO of my company to write me a letter so I hope that gives me a push to get in!

Oh, well I have no idea if they rank their waitlist either. Sorry for the miscommunication!
 
When is it a good time to start the reapplication process? I'd like to wait before throwing money away but sending my application late this cycle was the biggest issue I had.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone recall how many people they said they pull off the waitlist? / percent
Not exactly sure. At my interview Marleyn said that everyone that gets an interview is in a good position and the two med students that have us the tour said nearly everyone in their group matriculated.