Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! And I got a post-secondary pre-interview rejection letter!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did you find out why you were rejected from Nova?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you find out why you were rejected from Nova?

Because the stars didnt align

Or probably because i wasnt cool enough

Iol idk, probably because my gpa at the time was sub 3.3. Not sure, the app process can be a crapshoot

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interview in a few days? Getting a bit nervous any advice you guys? What to expect? Topics discussed? First interview and trying to get myself feeling a bit more confident. Any advice helps !

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview in a few days? Getting a bit nervous any advice you guys? What to expect? Topics discussed? First interview and trying to get myself feeling a bit more confident. Any advice helps !
There's a book called The PreMed Playbook if you want some reading to help you feel more confident. Best advice is to not worry, give thoughtful honest answers, their system is typically good-cop, bad-cop to kind of make sure you're confident and on your toes. Overall it's a fun day, enjoy yourself, ask lots of questions.

Reactions: 1 user
people on th forum are saying nova Board averages are less and the first year is overly packed with credits and rvu Utah has a good match rate
What do u think

people on th forum are saying nova Board averages are less and the first year is overly packed with credits and rvu Utah has a good match rate
What do u think
RVU Utah is a brand new school, they have zero match rate data. First semester at Nova is brutal, but sets you up nicely moving forward. Check Nova’s match list (zero unmatched last year) and compare it to other schools, they have a solid record and a good reputation. I feel like their exams don’t teach/test to boards, I would agree there. Except in 2nd year they change it and slowly easy you into the rigors of boards, so I’d say they know what they’re doing. I have a friend here who cracked 750 on their COMLEX, so obviously you can attend here and hit high scores.

Reactions: 1 user
RVU Utah is a brand new school, they have zero match rate data. First semester at Nova is brutal, but sets you up nicely moving forward. Check Nova’s match list (zero unmatched last year) and compare it to other schools, they have a solid record and a good reputation. I feel like their exams don’t teach/test to boards, I would agree there. Except in 2nd year they change it and slowly easy you into the rigors of boards, so I’d say they know what they’re doing. I have a friend here who cracked 750 on their COMLEX, so obviously you can attend here and hit high scores.
whats a typical day like for a first year student? i see that there are 30 credits for the first year! isn't that too intense? do you do EC during the first year or just focus on classes?

There are honestly too many opportunities for EC at Nova. There are a hundred million clubs doing a hundred million things everyday at lunch and at night. You really have to pick and choose what will help you grow or actually matter on your CV, but yeah, there are tons of things going on.
Nova has recorded lecture, mandatory lab attendance, and some classes are mandatory, but most of them aren’t. 30 credits is about the norm for most med schools. You don’t take it all at once, a lot of them aren’t even real classes, like tobacco cessation and medical Spanish. They loop them in with other stuff. A typical day is studying your brains out and then going to labs in the afternoon, followed by more studying. There’s a cruise, bar crawl, clubs on clubs on clubs. You’ll make friends, you’ll have cool opportunities. If you’re weighing between Nova and RVU Utah I’d say if you want to stay out in the mountain west then go there, but if you might end up East then Nova is one of the most established DO schools in the country, you can’t go wrong with that.

i want to end up in california but i am also married and want to be in a comfortable environment as well
I d rather be studying at home then to be in lecture all day every day so I am weighing my options between NSU and RVU and UIWSOM in San Antonio
my fam is in california but NSU seems like it has a lot of opportunities
do you recommend to do ECs the first year or wait till the second?
There are honestly too many opportunities for EC at Nova. There are a hundred million clubs doing a hundred million things everyday at lunch and at night. You really have to pick and choose what will help you grow or actually matter on your CV, but yeah, there are tons of things going on.
Nova has recorded lecture, mandatory lab attendance, and some classes are mandatory, but most of them aren’t. 30 credits is about the norm for most med schools. You don’t take it all at once, a lot of them aren’t even real classes, like tobacco cessation and medical Spanish. They loop them in with other stuff. A typical day is studying your brains out and then going to labs in the afternoon, followed by more studying. There’s a cruise, bar crawl, clubs on clubs on clubs. You’ll make friends, you’ll have cool opportunities. If you’re weighing between Nova and RVU Utah I’d say if you want to stay out in the mountain west then go there, but if you might end up East then Nova is one of the most established DO schools in the country, you can’t go wrong with that.

i want to end up in california but i am also married and want to be in a comfortable environment as well
I d rather be studying at home then to be in lecture all day every day so I am weighing my options between NSU and RVU and UIWSOM in San Antonio
my fam is in california but NSU seems like it has a lot of opportunities
do you recommend to do ECs the first year or wait till the second?
Personally, I feel that most ECs are a waste of time. I've spoken to many program directors about it, they pretty much all say that if it'll make you into a better version of yourself the go for it, but nobody cares about your Activity Chair position in the pre-surgery club and your time is likely better spent mastering the material. I forgot to mention cost. Nova is like $60k/year just for tuition. That, plus the cost of living down here is bonkers. The summers are hot, like so freaking hot you wanna die all the time type hot. The beach is fun for the SO, but everything else is way expensive. If you have rich parents who don't care, then ignore everything I just wrote, but otherwise you'll want to consider that. Congrats on having multiple options.

Can anyone suggest some quiet and nice apartments around Davie? I heard it is hard to look for a quiet place near campus. Students told me that Plantation or Weston would be a good neighborhoods. But I reacall on my interview day that traffic was absolutely horrible near the highway intersection. If living in nearby neighborhoods, would communting be too long? Thanks for the help!

Can anyone suggest some quiet and nice apartments around Davie? I heard it is hard to look for a quiet place near campus. Students told me that Plantation or Weston would be a good neighborhoods. But I reacall on my interview day that traffic was absolutely horrible near the highway intersection. If living in nearby neighborhoods, would communting be too long? Thanks for the help!
I guess it can be hard to get into, but word on the street is Amli is the best place to live. It’s close to campus, but quiet and the aprtments are nice.

There’s also a Nova Housing Facebook page where people from every program post listings.
Nova Southeastern Univ - Roommate/Housing Finder Public Group | Facebook

Hey all! For anyone who has interviewed so far, would you mind sharing your thoughts? Likes and dislikes about the school?

Can anyone comment on the potential waitlist movement at NSU?

What is your daily schedule at nova look like ? I have a wife that I want to make time for and studying all day everyday is difficult

What is your daily schedule at nova look like ? I have a wife that I want to make time for and studying all day everyday is difficult
Everyone has other priorities they have to juggle while in med school. No matter where you go you’ll have to study your butt off. That said, most lectures are not mandatory, they’re pretty much all recorded. So you can kind of develop a schedule that works best for you.

Reactions: 1 users