Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Qwead, there are SOOO many factors that come in when someone makes a decision to go to one pharmacy program over another. Maybe for you a deposit is not much, but for someone else, it could be a months rent. I cant speak for everyone else, but from my personal experience, my family is an important part for me and I need to be in the area so that I can take care of my brother and mom.

As for the quality of education and status of probation. Nova is a private university. That in itself lets you know that they have plenty of money. Trust me, if they can spend millions on a shark infront of their recreational center, they are loaded. Especially with all the money they have from the high tuition cost also. Therefore, they have the resource to Hire new employees. Second of all, you can not hire unqualified professors! This is not a public elementary or middle or even high school! There are qualifications that professors have to meet in order to become a graduate professor. Last of all, Nova has been around for far too long to drop below probation status.

Afterall, college is a business and if they want to make money, they will do all to keep their ends high so that they will have money rolling in!

I dont know if thats a good thing to brag about....your making nova sound like a greedy, money hungry place, and i never said that. i live very close to davie, and i have family whos attending nova at medical school and undergrad, so you dont have to tell me how well known nova is. But what i do know for sure is that their pharmacu program has been goiing downhill lately and i asked and interviewed many recent grads and current p4's and they have told me the same: that the teacher quality is not what it used to be, and thats not the only problem, a probation is a TARNISH a STAIN to its reputaion. And i do understand factors that come into play when choosing a pharmacy school, but this is our career a 1000 or even 2000 dollars for a deposit is an investment for our future. If you want to see it at a financial standpoint do you think $2000 will be worth losing 1 year of annual salary as a pharmacist. People have their own personal reasons why they can accept or decline their seats, but i just though it was odd that someone would not have a backup plan, just like the guy who applied to 1 school at the last minute with a mediocre gpa and pcat...an unwise desicion

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about the probation status. I heard that if they aren't off probation status by June that they can't enroll new P1's this fall -- this is a according to someone who I emailed ACPE who I spoke to on SDN. Anyone else hear this? So basically if this is true I'm sure Nova is doing everything in their power to fix the probation status:confused: at least I hope they are

If they do not fix a problem by june, they will have until next year to improve, and the status is still on probation. After next year, if they do not fix it, they will lose acd, and we are on trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
qwead... Any private school is a business. If they dont make money, why would they open it? Things dont come for free! Money seems important to you also if your calculating the costs and benefits of a whole annual year of pharmacist pay vs. $2000. Right now, $2000 can mean someone's living expenses for a whole month or two?

This converation was never really about money but about having a plan B or backup plan...I wish umiami09 all the luck in gettin into pharm school.

thats why i paid money both to Lecom-Brad and Nova, i want to go to nova and since they're getting reviewed again around june or july i hope they make the cut so i'll go to Nova. If not then i'm tempted to go to Brad.

Onethuone..I agree..look guys..there are only 4 universities in Fl that even offer the PharmD program..and 2 (Nova and PBA) are on prob. --and both private..can u imagine how much $ (no..not sounding like their money-hungry but yes education is a business atleast in this country; u know capitolism) they would lose if these colleges werent offered. I am very confident that they'll get their status back..esp. Nova. And really if you doubt Nova that much maybe it wasn't such a good idea to apply there if u dont think they can offer u a good education. Not to put anyone down for worrying,,its on my mind too! Just have faith (esp.if u turned down other seats..hahah)
I know people who graduated from Nova (one last year infact) with their PharmD and feel at an advantage compared to Pharmacists that grad. from other schools. I myself believe in Nova--they have been highly regarded for a long time--and I too limited myself by only applying to Nova not because I didn't think it thru but because it is the only school I wanted to go to..I wasn't about to apply to any ol' school just because I could submit my app.
Everyone here applied to schools (1 or 20) with their own circumstances and best interests in mind..it is prob good to remember that theres no right or wrong way to go about applying to schools..just your way..
Good Luck to everyone thats still waiting!:xf:

Onethuone..I agree..look guys..there are only 4 universities in Fl that even offer the PharmD program..and 2 (Nova and PBA) are on prob. --and both private..can u imagine how much $ (no..not sounding like their money-hungry but yes education is a business atleast in this country; u know capitolism) they would lose if these colleges werent offered. I am very confident that they'll get their status back..esp. Nova. And really if you doubt Nova that much maybe it wasn't such a good idea to apply there if u dont think they can offer u a good education. Not to put anyone down for worrying,,its on my mind too! Just have faith (esp.if u turned down other seats..hahah)
I know people who graduated from Nova (one last year infact) with their PharmD and feel at an advantage compared to Pharmacists that grad. from other schools. I myself believe in Nova--they have been highly regarded for a long time--and I too limited myself by only applying to Nova not because I didn't think it thru but because it is the only school I wanted to go to..I wasn't about to apply to any ol' school just because I could submit my app.
Everyone here applied to schools (1 or 20) with their own circumstances and best interests in mind..it is prob good to remember that theres no right or wrong way to go about applying to schools..just your way..
Good Luck to everyone thats still waiting!:xf:

???only 4?, I thought there were 5, pba, nova,lecom, famu, and uf...not to mention uf has like 5 capuses and nova has a satellite campus...so realistically there's a bout 10 or so campuses of pharmacy in florida, oh yeah USF is opening one also...so that's about 1000+ pharmds a year

i'm in the same boat ... thing is you have to turn in all your financial aid/immunization forms for LECOM by June 1st (i think) and nova doesnt get inspected by the ACPE until June 24-25 ... idk how long i can wait ... can i refuse a seat at either school a week before classes start?

thats why i paid money both to Lecom-Brad and Nova, i want to go to nova and since they're getting reviewed again around june or july i hope they make the cut so i'll go to Nova. If not then i'm tempted to go to Brad.

i'm in the same boat ... thing is you have to turn in all your financial aid/immunization forms for LECOM by June 1st (i think) and nova doesnt get inspected by the ACPE until June 24-25 ... idk how long i can wait ... can i refuse a seat at either school a week before classes start?

oh..sorry forgot one...and i thought the probation was issued to the school ( including all campuses)
Anyway...my point still stands (maybe u missed it)

oh..sorry forgot one...and i thought the probation was issued to the school ( including all campuses)

Members don't see this ad :)

HAHAH...sorry st. doc has their errors..:)

Well from what ive heard ... the probation status only applies to a department of the college of pharmacy (i actually went to HPD and asked ... fyi) after having spoken with several dual students as well as current pharm. students at nova the administration(aka tracy templin) has made it clear that the school will not lose their accreditation. Last month they were able to hire 2 new prof. so they are apparently on the right track ....

Yeah, Nova is still on the top of my list. I have faith in the school! Good luck to everyone and hope your decisions take you to the end result that you want! ^_^

I received my Nova acceptance packet today for the West Palm Campus, I am honored, but will unfortunately decline and attend my first choice at the University of Florida.:D So my seat will be given up, which means someone out there will be replacing me, it could be you:smuggrin: Good Luck!

I interviewed march 7 and just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Yay! ^_^

Dont worry, just be honest... Your their because your meeting thier credentials! They know you can be successful, now just prove it with your personality! ^_^

Here is the response I received from the Dean concerning their probation.

Dear Mr. :

I am glad to see you are searching for an outstanding Pharmacy program. I can understand your concern on the probationary status. However, let me clarify information that can be misleading.

First, All academic programs are evaluated by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) on a total of 30 standards, contained within the following areas:
· Mission, Planning and Evaluation
· Organization and Administration
· Curriculum
· Students
· Faculty and Staff
· Facilities and Resources

It was the assessment of the ACPE Board to continue our accreditation, but that we, the NSU College of Pharmacy, would be placed on probation until two standards (out of thirty) were made compliant. Those two Standards were Number 24 - Faculty and Staff: Quantitative Factors and Number 25 – Faculty and Staff: Qualitative Factors.

ACPE was aware we have a number of faculty vacancies for which we are actively recruiting, but felt we needed to fill those vacancies if the College wanted to continue its growth and programmatic projection. The College is continually recruiting specialized, talented scholars, in fields such as in transplant, and development of new drug delivery systems. Since the ACPE's visit, we have already been very fortunate being able to hire five new talented scholars whom our students will be excited to have as their faculty.

On the other standard (Qualitative), even though it appears the quality of our faculty might be in question; this is far from the truth. ACPE was referring to precisely those individuals we needed to recruit to fulfill what we said we wanted to do and achieve. The following quote from ACPE's executives says it best:

"..to provide clarification regarding the citation of Standard No. 25: Faculty and Staff – Qualitative Factors. It needs to be noted that the Board's concerns with respect to this standard pertain to the qualifications and expertise NOT currently present among your faculty due to the various faculty vacancies that exist. It does not imply in any way that the Board has concerns regarding the quality of the faculty presently on-board at the College. It is unfortunate if some individuals have assumed the latter."

Let me restate, the College and NSU administration have been addressing these areas of compliance. Although ACPE has clearly stated that we have two years to bring these standards into compliance, we remain diligent to bringing them into compliance by this coming June. Our current term of accreditation, as part of a normal accreditation process, ends in June of 2009. We will be reporting to the ACPE Board concerning our compliance to the Standards prior to the next ACPE Board meeting which will occur in June of this year. Following that meeting, with our additional corrective action, we look forward to having the probationary status removed.

Be also aware that, as stated by ACPE, "Probation is not an adverse accreditation action"; it indicates that these standards need to be brought into compliance. Also, as stated by ACPE, "Graduates of a program in a probationary status retain all the rights and privileges associated with an accredited program".

I am confident our probationary status will be removed. Furthermore, we know our academic program is very strong and our students are doing extremely well (please refer to our web page for College news).

I trust this information clarifies your concern. However, if you still have any question, please do not hesitate to contact my Assistant, Ms Anya Burnett , who will coordinate a call with me.

Sincerely,

Andres Malavé, Ph.D.
Dean

Here is the response I received from the Dean concerning their probation.

Dear Mr. :

I am glad to see you are searching for an outstanding Pharmacy program. I can understand your concern on the probationary status. However, let me clarify information that can be misleading.

First, All academic programs are evaluated by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) on a total of 30 standards, contained within the following areas:
·Mission, Planning and Evaluation
·Organization and Administration
·Curriculum
·Students
·Faculty and Staff
·Facilities and Resources

It was the assessment of the ACPE Board to continue our accreditation, but that we, the NSU College of Pharmacy, would be placed on probation until two standards (out of thirty) were made compliant. Those two Standards were Number 24 - Faculty and Staff: Quantitative Factors and Number 25 – Faculty and Staff: Qualitative Factors.

ACPE was aware we have a number of faculty vacancies for which we are actively recruiting, but felt we needed to fill those vacancies if the College wanted to continue its growth and programmatic projection. The College is continually recruiting specialized, talented scholars, in fields such as in transplant, and development of new drug delivery systems. Since the ACPE’s visit, we have already been very fortunate being able to hire five new talented scholars whom our students will be excited to have as their faculty.

On the other standard (Qualitative), even though it appears the quality of our faculty might be in question; this is far from the truth. ACPE was referring to precisely those individuals we needed to recruit to fulfill what we said we wanted to do and achieve. The following quote from ACPE’s executives says it best:

“..to provide clarification regarding the citation of Standard No. 25: Faculty and Staff – Qualitative Factors. It needs to be noted that the Board’s concerns with respect to this standard pertain to the qualifications and expertise NOT currently present among your faculty due to the various faculty vacancies that exist. It does not imply in any way that the Board has concerns regarding the quality of the faculty presently on-board at the College. It is unfortunate if some individuals have assumed the latter.”

Let me restate, the College and NSU administration have been addressing these areas of compliance. Although ACPE has clearly stated that we have two years to bring these standards into compliance, we remain diligent to bringing them into compliance by this coming June. Our current term of accreditation, as part of a normal accreditation process, ends in June of 2009. We will be reporting to the ACPE Board concerning our compliance to the Standards prior to the next ACPE Board meeting which will occur in June of this year. Following that meeting, with our additional corrective action, we look forward to having the probationary status removed.

Be also aware that, as stated by ACPE, “Probation is not an adverse accreditation action”; it indicates that these standards need to be brought into compliance. Also, as stated by ACPE, “Graduates of a program in a probationary status retain all the rights and privileges associated with an accredited program”.

I am confident our probationary status will be removed. Furthermore, we know our academic program is very strong and our students are doing extremely well (please refer to our web page for College news).

I trust this information clarifies your concern. However, if you still have any question, please do not hesitate to contact my Assistant, Ms Anya Burnett , who will coordinate a call with me.

Sincerely,

Andres Malavé, Ph.D.

Dean

Hey! thanks for sharing that information, it makes me feel better and I actually understand whats going on now, hopefully everything will work out. I'm still planning on attending! :)

So is that a good thing or a bad thing concerning the letter from the dean. I knew they had problems with the amount of staff, not the quality.

sciencerules...when did you receive this letter, and are you attending...

qwead...i read your posts, where did you get your info from?

pharmboy, i received my information from freinds of mine who are currently P4's attending Nova and current pharmacists who have graduated from Nova recently

The dean emailed this response on March 30th(the same day I asked for more information from him). I was accepted to their school in January.

Help plz...
I never received my acceptance package but did receive an email about acceptance.
What is the exact address or to whom is the deposit check directed to??

Pharmboi... your not even reading the full letter! it specifically says that the quality is due to the low quantity no do to the actual abilities of the stuff who are actually there and that the current staff should not take it as an offense...

So is that a good thing or a bad thing concerning the letter from the dean. I knew they had problems with the amount of staff, not the quality.

sciencerules...when did you receive this letter, and are you attending...

qwead...i read your posts, where did you get your info from?

"..to provide clarification regarding the citation of Standard No. 25: Faculty and Staff – Qualitative Factors. It needs to be noted that the Board's concerns with respect to this standard pertain to the qualifications and expertise NOT currently present among your faculty due to the various faculty vacancies that exist. It does not imply in any way that the Board has concerns regarding the quality of the faculty presently on-board at the College. It is unfortunate if some individuals have assumed the latter."

Thanx for the letter Sciencerules...it has made me much more confident in my decision! ^_^

seems like very deep discussion is going on ...keep it up guys and thanks for sharing all information.

I had interview on march 9th as international PharmD student and still waiting ..Nova is really ray of hope for me..waiting period is getting tougher and tougher..but keep my finger crossed..I wish they would solve the problem of Probation by june. hey do u guys know whether nova takes telephone interview for Internationl students who is living outside USA?

Thanks ...:xf:

Qwead -
I don't think the fact that I only applied to 2 schools and didn't make a deposit to the first one I got accepted at makes me stupid or overly confident. I'm comfortable with my stats, and I believe that what is meant to be will happen... If Nova COP rejects me, I'll just complete my MBA and apply again since I was planning on the dual degree program anyway. I am very close to my family who lives in the Florida Keys, and I am also helping with a business that needs to stay in the area. That way I can have an income, but work my own hours so I don't ever miss class whenever I actually do start pharmacy school. I got in to PBA, which as you probably know is even more expensive than NSU because it is smaller and more personal. They are both on probationary status, so that doesn't matter to me. I am confident that they will both get through this because the dean at PBA actually spoke to us at our interview and it doesn't seem like a big deal over there either. The accredation council is just getting more strict.
I don't look at it as losing a year of pharmacists' salary. That's not what's important to me. If I was only going into this for the money then I shouldn't be a pharmacist at all. I'm only 21 years old and I have my whole life ahead of me. Getting there is half the fun for me, and I want to earn my degree at a place I love. Yeah you need the $ to live (and yes $1000/mo only covers my 1 bedroom rent in Miami) so the deposit and tuition was a big deal in my decision not to deposit at PBA. Everyone else pretty much explained it for me perfectly. Thanks = ]

Umiami09,
i dont understand why you would decline a school you got into with the fact that you havent gotten in anywhere yet, you must be really confident or really......
I think the school might be in a hold of accepting students bcuz if they dont get the right amt of teachers then they will have to cut the class size....what school did you get into that was more expensive?

And to all the incoming P1's arent you concerned that the fact that they are on probation for not enough teachers that they will be trying to hire ANYBODY just to fill those spots. Arent you concerned that there not hiring good quality and qualified teachers??

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that I do agree with your reasoning about why it's an important investment for our future to just pay the deposit, but I was just trying to show that there are different paths some people might take or ways that they look at things. I guess I'm a little different, but it did make me feel better to know that someone else would get my seat at PBA who maybe would not have had the chance to go to pharmacy school otherwise.

Both of you are right.

I also agree. It is very tough to get into pharmacy school right now. Money was an issue for me too and it is why I had to wait before matriculating at PBA. Like you, I was comfortable with my strong stats but waiting for the other schools was a little tough. Then came LECOM BRADENTON, then NOVA and then UF. I mean this application cycle I'm at 100% with the schools I applied to. As it is, I told PBA (exclusively for PharmD) & LECOM BRADENTON (beautiful campus) I would not be attending and I was comfortable that someone else got my seat.

But UF & NOVA are my top choices (leaning UF) and I'll have some thinking to do. Qwead is right in terms of earning potential and how hard it is to get in, and you are right that you are willing to wait (given your stats) for the opportune moment (like I did). Good luck!

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that I do agree with your reasoning about why it's an important investment for our future to just pay the deposit, but I was just trying to show that there are different paths some people might take or ways that they look at things. I guess I'm a little different, but it did make me feel better to know that someone else would get my seat at PBA who maybe would not have had the chance to go to pharmacy school otherwise.

i agree with you. i am 31, mother of two children. english is not my first language, i tried so hard to get in pharmacy school. i only apply for 3 school, got into nova and pba(i don't pay the deposi too) about UF, i received the invitation, but i decided not going. some people said i am crazy, let go of the good school. i have my choice, i decided which one is best for myself. i will not regret. different people, different life, different choice. just be :cool:

thats what i love about nova as well... it is very diverse, and i'm not sure what your native language is, but there are students from all over the globe at nova and i love that. being surrounded by different people and different choices is important to me, and growing up in south florida coming from a latin/european background i value those things. = ) congradulations on your acceptances and good luck! i just spoke with the admissions office today and they said that the dean had my file... so i'm guessing that they're about to make a decision soon? i love ft lauderdale so no matter what happens i am going to stay in the area and prepare for next year = )

i agree with you. i am 31, mother of two children. english is not my first language, i tried so hard to get in pharmacy school. i only apply for 3 school, got into nova and pba(i don't pay the deposi too) about UF, i received the invitation, but i decided not going. some people said i am crazy, let go of the good school. i have my choice, i decided which one is best for myself. i will not regret. different people, different life, different choice. just be :cool:

Does somebody know when the last interview at Nova is going to be? I had my interview last week and I am wondering how long I have to wait for their decision.

i don't think there is any way to tell how long it will take because i had my interview on feb. 3rd and they told me 4-8 weeks, but i talked to someone this week and she said that my file is with the dean awaiting a final decision. it is a really busy time of year for admissions so you just have to be patient i guess. if i don't get in i am applying wayyyy earlier next time... thats all i know for sure lol. some people who go to nsu now told me they interviewed in may a few years ago so it's probably similar now. i think that is when they start to wrap things up, but if you are on the waitlist they may call you the same week that classes start to see if you still want to enroll.

Thank you umiami09. I received my acceptance letter for a different school, but Nova is my first choice. I will pay the deposit and still hope that I will be accepted to Nova. They also told me when I had my interview to wait 4-6 weeks and to contact them if I do not hear anything after a month. I know students who received their acceptance letter two weeks after their interview.

UMIAMI09- your not alone...I interviewed in early Feb. and they are holding my app. to be approved as well, yet no one has told me who actually has it at the moment. It is very frustrating because all I want at the moment is an answer. Which campus did u interview for?

Does somebody know when the last interview at Nova is going to be? I had my interview last week and I am wondering how long I have to wait for their decision.

I have my interview this wednesday april 22 at the west palm campus. :scared: GOOD LUCK to you...and me too lol :)

I interviewed at the Davie campus for Nova... Btw... how much are the deposits for other schools? The school I was accepted to in Feb. was asking for $1500, but isn't Nova a little less? I'm just curious because I only applied to two schools. I like both places, but the first school has a higher tuition than Nova, so I just couldn't see myself swinging that at this point in time. Plus rent in Miami is not that cheap... it's 1000 a month for a one bedroom and I pay electric/internet/etc seperate. Oh well... I enjoy it down here so I shouldn't complain. = ] If I don't get in to Nova I'm probably going to move to broward anyway for a change though

I have my interview this wednesday april 22 at the west palm campus. :scared: GOOD LUCK to you...and me too lol :)
Good luck babygirl7eleven. I had my interview two weeks ago at Davie campus. I hope all of us will receive an answer soon.

How was your interview? Did you like West Palm Beach campus?

my interview went well...atleast i hope it did :oops: overall i like the campus alot the students there are soooooo welcoming and nice. I hope i get in :oops: Mrs nappi said tomorrow will be the last round of interviews for the semester.

my interview went well...atleast i hope it did :oops: overall i like the campus alot the students there are soooooo welcoming and nice. I hope i get in :oops: Mrs nappi said tomorrow will be the last round of interviews for the semester.
I wish you good luck. If tomorrow is going to be the last interview, we will find out soon their decision. Today I sent the deposit for my second choice school, but I still hope that I will be accepted to Nova.