NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question:

I just checked my application portal and noticed the note:

If you have submitted an application but were unable to print out the signature page at the time of completing it, please click here.

And when I click on the link, it brings up a page for a "Web for admissions signature page" I don't remember seeing this after I submitted my secondary (After many tries of errors). Did I miss it somehow, or is it not needed if the secondary was completed on-line?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys for the LOR requirements, they state that they require two from science professors, and one from a liberal arts professor. I have a LOR from my spanish professor as my non-science would that suffice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys for the LOR requirements, they state that they require two from science professors, and one from a liberal arts professor. I have a LOR from my spanish professor as my non-science would that suffice? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it would.

I'm getting really excited to go down there. Researching the school and google-ing pictures of the near-by beaches makes this my number 1 school now :D

All factors included - academics, extracurriculars, facilities, location, etc, you'd be hard pressed to find a better school. I spent 4 great years there. enjoy the visit, hopefully you'll be seeing more of it soon.

Finally in Ft. Lauderdale and excited about the interview!!! PS though, the woman at the front desk at the Holiday Inn Express told me that the shuttle only runs on the half hour (like 7:30, 8:30 etc, not 8am) soo I guess Im going to be really really early tomorrow!!! I'll probably just wander around looking out of place in my suit haha

Good luck!

Good luck to all those interviewing today! If you guys don't mind, could you post a bit about how the interview experience was? Thanks!

Just got an interview invite email! yay!! :D

I'm on hold right now with NSU to schedule my interview. Hopefully they have an October date available. :)

---edit: Anyone else interviewing on October 13th?? :D Oh, and I was wondering if anyone knows... is NSU a private or public university?

Last edited:
Hey, can anyone confirm that NSU accepts reference letters sent through Interfolio? I don't see NSU mentioned on the interfolio website nor interfolio on the NSU website. Thanks!

- Found my answer, they do!

Just got an interview invite email! yay!! :D

I'm on hold right now with NSU to schedule my interview. Hopefully they have an October date available. :)

---edit: Anyone else interviewing on October 13th?? :D Oh, and I was wondering if anyone knows... is NSU a private or public university?

NSU is private. :)

How were everyone's interviews? Any acceptances yet?

The interview went amazing (for me at least). They stated it'd be around the end of September that we hear back. I wish it was quicker. The guy I interviewed with gave me his card after I spoke about my research, so I emailed him thanking him for the great interview.

We'll see! Good luck.

The interview went amazing (for me at least). They stated it'd be around the end of September that we hear back. I wish it was quicker. The guy I interviewed with gave me his card after I spoke about my research, so I emailed him thanking him for the great interview.

We'll see! Good luck.

Any advice for us waiting to hit the gauntlet? Nervous about this one (10/4).

Members don't see this ad :)
OK so here's more info on the interview day, it was basically just like people posted on last years thread..

So they told us to be there by 8:30 which is why we took the 7:30 shuttle, and actually a lot of people got there early. We sat around in a conference room for a while and everyone introduced themselves. Then we watched a DVD (they give you a copy as well) and listened to the associate dean or someone talk. Then we split up and one group toured while another stayed back to interview. Our group had awesome tour guides who were so enthusiastic about the school. and one of the OMM fellows cracked the neck of our tour guide while we were seeing the OMM lab which was cool. Over all I thought the school grounds were gorgeous and the facilities were great. I'm not crazy about having to wear the same color scrubs everyday for two years, but going to this school would be worth it. After the tour our group went back and interviewed. The interview was really laid back, I only had one interviewer bc the other one got called into a meeting. All the questions I got asked were on the interview feedback page except one which was application specific. The interview was only like 20 minutes long. After interviewing we went upstairs to another room (with a great view of campus) and had sandwiches and stuff and more med students/fellows were with us answering questions. Then the Dean came up and talked to us for a while and tried to get to know everyone. After that, the people who wanted to could go on a bus tour of campus. I had a 5pm flight and stayed to do the tour and still made my flight in plenty of time. But the main part was they showed you the library, and the student center which is pretty nice, and has a 24 hour starbucks. There were like 23 ppl in our group but some of them were moved from thursday so I dont think all groups will be that big. Everyone was really nice and we were definitely a diverse group in terms of age and background.
Im a little sad we have to wait until the end of september especially since last year they heard within two weeks. I think they changed admissions people though, and so thats why there are changes, because she also mentioned deactivating the online status check.

OK so here's more info on the interview day, it was basically just like people posted on last years thread..

So they told us to be there by 8:30 which is why we took the 7:30 shuttle, and actually a lot of people got there early. We sat around in a conference room for a while and everyone introduced themselves. Then we watched a DVD (they give you a copy as well) and listened to the associate dean or someone talk. Then we split up and one group toured while another stayed back to interview. Our group had awesome tour guides who were so enthusiastic about the school. and one of the OMM fellows cracked the neck of our tour guide while we were seeing the OMM lab which was cool. Over all I thought the school grounds were gorgeous and the facilities were great. I'm not crazy about having to wear the same color scrubs everyday for two years, but going to this school would be worth it. After the tour our group went back and interviewed. The interview was really laid back, I only had one interviewer bc the other one got called into a meeting. All the questions I got asked were on the interview feedback page except one which was application specific. The interview was only like 20 minutes long. After interviewing we went upstairs to another room (with a great view of campus) and had sandwiches and stuff and more med students/fellows were with us answering questions. Then the Dean came up and talked to us for a while and tried to get to know everyone. After that, the people who wanted to could go on a bus tour of campus. I had a 5pm flight and stayed to do the tour and still made my flight in plenty of time. But the main part was they showed you the library, and the student center which is pretty nice, and has a 24 hour starbucks. There were like 23 ppl in our group but some of them were moved from thursday so I dont think all groups will be that big. Everyone was really nice and we were definitely a diverse group in terms of age and background.
Im a little sad we have to wait until the end of september especially since last year they heard within two weeks. I think they changed admissions people though, and so thats why there are changes, because she also mentioned deactivating the online status check.

Thanks for the great, detailed review! I'm glad it went well for you. I look forward to interviewing on 10/13!!! But wait... same colored scrubs every day? I went on their website, and it shows people wearing scrubs in their lecture hall. So is there a scrub-uniform code at NSU? lol. I guess that's not too much of an issue....

Thanks for the detailed review!

Thanks for the great, detailed review! I'm glad it went well for you. I look forward to interviewing on 10/13!!! But wait... same colored scrubs every day? I went on their website, and it shows people wearing scrubs in their lecture hall. So is there a scrub-uniform code at NSU? lol. I guess that's not too much of an issue....
Thanks RavensGal.

One of the doctors I shadowed told me that NSU requires IDs at all times and something about a dress code because "those are rules and practices you will have to follow in the future anyways."

Also, if you stay at the Holiday Inn Express TAKE the 8:30am shuttle. Although the email says "be there no later than 8:30am" it was a waste to get there so early, as they didn't start anything until a few minutes after 9. The shuttle drops you off at admissions so no, you will not be frantically searching for the admissions building before the interview.

Relax. The interview was extremely laid back and they want to discover who you are and how well you will fit in to their program. I was more stressed waiting than once I began blabbing about myself. Use the "interview feedback" part of SDN (scroll up to the top of the page). Every question I was asked (about 5) were all posted on the website. There were no ethical questions, no questions about bad grades, but they did mention my MCAT because I've taken it 4 times and recently went from a 24 to a 31. They asked about my community/clinical experiences, how I would change health care, my malaria research, as well as my undergrad experience at New Mexico State University.

Good luck!

Any advice for us waiting to hit the gauntlet? Nervous about this one (10/4).

As I just posted, go to the interview feedback section of SDN and practice the most likely questions they will ask. Make sure you can state opinions and facts about yourself clearly. Also, make sure your calm. They asked me if this was my first interview and when I said "yes" they said they were not here to stress me out, trick me, etc. I think their rapport with me really helped calm my nerves. Also be confident and have fun with it and be yourself. When I stated that I was an ER scribe and I can do basic patient histories and physical exams, my interview said "so you're pretty much a 3rd year student." I raised my arms in the air and said 'well I won't say THAT but you can if you want!" :laugh:

Hey guys, I have an interview scheduled for Oct 13. I would REALLLLYYY appreciate if anyone can switch with me for an earlier date? I'm looking for anything AFTER Sept 22. Please PM me if this is at all possible

Thanks in advance!!!

Anyone know if NSU Undergrads are given "preference" if they apply to NSU-COM? Or does anyone know the percentage at least, of NSU U-grads getting into NSU-COM?

It has no impact. I had great LOR's from NSU professors and my DO LOR was an NSU alumnus. My stats are definitely average at best, so any consideration from being NSU alumnus would be great. Unfortunately they were the first school to deny me last cycle--2 weeks after submitting the supplemental. This year, I've been complete for almost two months and not a peep. I wouldn't hold your breath on any "preference".

For your information...

Last cycle, NSUCOM got 3290 applications.
672 interviewed (20.4% of applicants).
571 were accepted (85% of those interviewed).
245 matriculated (43% of those accepted).

For your information...

Wow... 85% were either accepted or wait-listed and then accepted. Where did you find those stats?

For your information...

Wow! This makes me feel optimistic that I can at least have one acceptance this cycle! Assuming I don't act like a fool during the interview :laugh:

Wow! This makes me feel optimistic that I can at least have one acceptance this cycle! Assuming I don't act like a fool during the interview :laugh:

Go over the questions in the SDN Interview Feedback section and try to relax and be positive. You will be fine. I think the interview is just to be sure you're not a complete weirdo and can at least act like a normal person when needed. :D

so for nsu, i know they require three LOR... two from science, 1 from liberal arts... i am lacking the one from liberal arts.. but when i submitted my application, though, in the checklist on NSU webstar, i just see three LORs listed under Requirements, and since i had 2 science prof LORs and 1 physician's, which i submitted, they have Received in front of each of the LOR requirement. so, I am assuming that I don't need that fourth Liberal arts LOR anymore, right?
the only email i'd gotten from nsu (other than the invitation one) was that "your documents have been received".. i never really got a "your application is complete" kind of email.. but if my checklist is all complete, it seems they don't require the liberal arts LOR anymore..?

i know it's a silly question.. i'm assuming if u get the interview, it means ur application is complete.. right?? :oops:

Not necessarily. You still need that liberal arts LoR. Best bet is to call the admissions office and check it out.

so for nsu, i know they require three LOR... two from science, 1 from liberal arts... i am lacking the one from liberal arts.. but when i submitted my application, though, in the checklist on NSU webstar, i just see three LORs listed under Requirements, and since i had 2 science prof LORs and 1 physician's, which i submitted, they have Received in front of each of the LOR requirement. so, I am assuming that I don't need that fourth Liberal arts LOR anymore, right?
the only email i'd gotten from nsu (other than the invitation one) was that "your documents have been received".. i never really got a "your application is complete" kind of email.. but if my checklist is all complete, it seems they don't require the liberal arts LOR anymore..?

i know it's a silly question.. i'm assuming if u get the interview, it means ur application is complete.. right?? :oops:

does your school do a committee letter of some kind? I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure that most med schools, NSU included, will count a committee letter as meeting their letter requirements. If you're still unsure though you could always check with NSU to be safe. Best of luck.

For anyone who submitted a committee letter, how did that look on your checklist? Because my committee does a composite letter and attaches the individual letters as a package. But on my checklist, I only have 3 letters of the letters from the packet showing up and none of them are even my professor ones (they are other ones my undergrad requires)....guess I will be calling monday anyway but just wanted to know if anyone else had this happen.

does your school do a committee letter of some kind? I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure that most med schools, NSU included, will count a committee letter as meeting their letter requirements. If you're still unsure though you could always check with NSU to be safe. Best of luck.

thanks for the replies guys :)
and no, jso, unfortunately, my uni doesn't do committee letters.. so i had to get individual letters.. the only reason i cudnt get the third liberal arts one was because the prof's office hours overlapped with my job schedule..
but i guess i will have to email nsu to confirm..
:)

how are the interviews going guys?? and where's everyone staying?
any reviews on marriot courtyard plantation?

For anyone who submitted a committee letter, how did that look on your checklist? Because my committee does a composite letter and attaches the individual letters as a package. But on my checklist, I only have 3 letters of the letters from the packet showing up and none of them are even my professor ones (they are other ones my undergrad requires)....guess I will be calling monday anyway but just wanted to know if anyone else had this happen.

Mine looks the same as yours but I'm sure that's just because NSU's web portal is only set up to show the minimum requirements. I'm sure they still look at all of them

For your information...

Awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:

to all those who've been through this interview stage before:

how long does the interview run till? i am in the process of booking a flight, and the latest flight i can book for the day of my interview is around 3:30 pm.. my interview's at 8 am.. but i forgot to ask them when i'd be done by..i'm just thinking if i shud book for the next day, or go for the 3:30 one..

anyone has the link to the thread that discusses interview day at nsu?

to all those who've been through this interview stage before:

how long does the interview run till? i am in the process of booking a flight, and the latest flight i can book for the day of my interview is around 3:30 pm.. my interview's at 8 am.. but i forgot to ask them when i'd be done by..i'm just thinking if i shud book for the next day, or go for the 3:30 one..

anyone has the link to the thread that discusses interview day at nsu?

We were done around 2:00 pm with an optional bus tour of the campus after that went til 3. But we also didn't have to be there until 8:30 and didn't start til 9, double check and make sure you have the times down right, just in case

Go over the questions in the SDN Interview Feedback section and try to relax and be positive. You will be fine. I think the interview is just to be sure you're not a complete weirdo and can at least act like a normal person when needed. :D

Haha, key words... "when needed". Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check out that section!

I have a question. My interview is on 10/13 and I'm staying at the Hampton. From what I know, they don't have shuttles to NSU and back. I was wondering if anyone has taken a taxi from their hotel to NSU, and if NSU has taxis available out front to take me to the airport right after the bus tour (my flight is around 6pm)... or would I have to call ahead of time for a taxi to pick me up from NSU?

Thanks!

We were done around 2:00 pm with an optional bus tour of the campus after that went til 3. But we also didn't have to be there until 8:30 and didn't start til 9, double check and make sure you have the times down right, just in case
oh yeah, sorry i meant 9 am .. hav to be there by 8:30.. *nervous nervous!* :oops:

Haha, key words... "when needed". Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check out that section!

I have a question. My interview is on 10/13 and I'm staying at the Hampton. From what I know, they don't have shuttles to NSU and back. I was wondering if anyone has taken a taxi from their hotel to NSU, and if NSU has taxis available out front to take me to the airport right after the bus tour (my flight is around 6pm)... or would I have to call ahead of time for a taxi to pick me up from NSU?

Thanks!

http://www.nova.edu/cwis/bsv/travel/hotels.html

hampton @ plantation (the one on the pdf) has shuttles from airport and school

I'm flying out tomorrow morning and will be at the FLL airport at around 5pm. If anyone needs a ride to the Holiday Inn that is a few minutes away from NSU (2540 Davie Rd), let me know.

I am also planning to leave the Holiday Inn at around 8:15 am if anyone staying there would like a ride to NSU for the interview (Aug 30).

Last edited:
I'm flying out tomorrow morning and will be at the FLL airport at around 5pm. If anyone needs a ride to the Holiday Inn that is a few minutes away from NSU (2540 Davie Rd), let me know.

I am also planning to leave the Holiday Inn at around 8:15 am if anyone staying there would like a ride to NSU for the interview (Aug 30).
damn, flying from canada?

how long is it?

Flying out from the west coast on Wednesday to interview on 9/1 :D Had to bump my interview by a week due to the hurricane last week lol. I rented a car so I could check out the surrounding area on Thurs and Fri too if anyone is interested, hit me up. Excited!!!

Is anyone going to be here today? I'm staying at Hampton Inn tonight, if anyone would like to hang out a bit or have dinner, let me know!

Is anyone going to be here today? I'm staying at Hampton Inn tonight, if anyone would like to hang out a bit or have dinner, let me know!

Hey man I'm here already as well! At the holiday inn.