Nursing School Vs Med School, no comparison.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even the lowest ranked US med school is tougher to get into than any NP school. Anyone can go become an NP and get accepted. As long as you can fork up the 15-20K to Universities like University of Phoenix online, they'll make you into a "doctor NP."

UOP is a joke, but smart at making money. I went to Rush BTW. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fine with NPs that decide to practice independently as soon as they 1: get accepted to medical school 2: complete medical school 3: compete all sets of boards including step 1,2,3 along with board certification in desired field 4: completing a residency in your desired field.

Is that to much to ask? People are always trying to finagle their way out of hard work. Take it from someone who actually went through both medical and nursing school and can speak to both perspectives.

Yes, it's too much to ask because then I'd just be a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly boredom...

Coz you know, us dentists don't actually do any work, we just overcharge our patients. Hahaha :D

I had a root canal once without any anesthesia. Almost bent the arms off his chair! I already had PTSD from dental work as a child and this certainly didn't help! I did love my dentist in Bangkok though. She was so pretty. I always had a happy ending.

But I'm not a troll. Previous poster wanted more conversation and you're getting it. If you are coming unglued because a 63 yr old guy is standing up to you then seek help. I spent 6 months in the OR with Denton Cooley BTW so you'll have to do something really big to impress me. Go for it.

Oh, did I forget to mention I was paraphrasing Stephen Stahl, M.D… you know the well known psychopharmacologist? His "Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical applications" was one of my textbooks. I guess you didn't have that one. Open it up and you'll see a lot of (I'll provide snippets), "To know where in the brain psychiatric symptoms are hypothetically mediated…;""The concept of disease progression in major depression is controversial, unproven, and provocative…;" For many years, the action of bupropion has been unclear, and it still remains somewhat controversial." Makes it very clear what's happening when I treat depression, with bupropion, for example, doesn't it?

What are you responding to? The post you quoted said that you oversimplified the brain, and you responded with a random psych drug. What is your logic? There are many drugs that are poorly understood. That doesn't mean the brain is simple, quite the opposite....

And by the way, you're a 63 year old man arguing with 22 year olds on the internet in the most name-calling juvenile way possible. Have some dignity....

Reactions: 5 users
What are you responding to? The post you quoted said that you oversimplified the brain, and you responded with a random psych drug. What is your logic? There are many drugs that are poorly understood. That doesn't mean the brain is simple, quite the opposite....

And by the way, you're a 63 year old man arguing with 22 year olds on the internet in the most name-calling juvenile way possible. Have some dignity....

Wait, whose 63?!

But I'm not a troll. Previous poster wanted more conversation and you're getting it. If you are coming unglued because a 63 yr old guy is standing up to you then seek help. I spent 6 months in the OR with Denton Cooley BTW so you'll have to do something really big to impress me. Go for it.

One time I partied with Lil Jon and Will Smith in Vegas for 6 months straight so you'll have to do something really big to impress me. Go for it.

Reactions: 4 users
UOP is a joke, but smart at making money. I went to Rush BTW. Perhaps you've heard of it?

You mean you completed Rush's "Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practicioner" online program? With a minimum of a whole 620 clinical hours including online clinical supervision? With such challenging courses as "Transition to the APRN role", "Effective project planning, implementation and evaluation", "Leadership in Evolving Healthcare Environments", "Organizational and Systems Leadership" and "Research for Evidence Based Practice" (all 3 "credits" a piece)?

Yeah thanks for proving our point.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You mean you completed Rush's "Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practicioner" online program? With a minimum of a whole 620 clinical hours including online clinical supervision? With such challenging courses as "Transition to the APRN role", "Effective project planning, implementation and evaluation", "Leadership in Evolving Healthcare Environments", "Organizational and Systems Leadership" and "Research for Evidence Based Practice" (all 3 "credits" a piece)?

http://i.imgur.com/UfsKJ.gif

My Mind officially is blown. Way to take it back to the premise of this whole debate.

Ouch, the internet is THE WORST. amiright?

Reactions: 1 users
Ouch, the internet is THE WORST. amiright?
1393986394117.jpg

I think we do an average of 600 clinical hours during 3rd year of medical school clerkship rotations. That's not including the total hours done in 4th year, and residency hours piled up during a 3-7 year residency for a given specialty.

Maybe "Rush" will one day offer a online MD degree.

Reactions: 1 users
That first comment you made scares the **** out of me. "In my area you can know all there is to know about the brain, right down to microscopic level, which isn't a whole lot."

I'm not neurologist, or a neurosurgeon, but the brain is highly complex organ with many things at the microscopic level that science is still trying to solve. To say there isn't a whole lot is insulting, and just shows how much fundamental knowledge you are clearly lacking.

But you said exactly what I said, let me reword it differently for you, "there's a whole lot we don't know about the brain." Got it?

Once again, I have no idea where you are going with your statement. Have you ever heard of "Tangential speech." This is what you sound like:

" I once killed a liger with my bare hands, I once saved a man, who had his head decapitated, I am "The Most Interesting Man in the World." Cool story bro.

You can only understand someone when you know where they've been and done. That's why you're getting tidbits. I have walked with Tigers and you don't kill one with your bare hands.

But you said exactly what I said, let me reword it differently for you, "there's a whole lot we don't know about the brain." Got it?

I'm beginning to think you're that person at work/school that NOBODY likes, but we talk to them because we feel bad for them. You are that guy! We did NOT say the same thing.

There is a difference between saying "there is not a whole lot to learn about the brain, it's simple microscopically VS there is A LOT to learn about the brain and all it's complexities." See and here's the difference, I know A LOT more than you about the brain, which is why I stated it's no easy subject matter to learn and comprehend. I know how far in depth human A&P 1-2 courses go when taught to the nursing majors. And it scratches the surface.

I know your online degree probably taught you this is a "brain, this is a neuron, this is the spinal cord" now let's move on to the GI system!

Take your own advice, and take that research article you keep quoting with a "grain of salt." And quoting research published in the dark ages from "Florence Nightangale" is entertaining. Did you know research during the dark ages showed us that sun revolved around the earth? Let's hold on to that theory now, since research before Christ showed that we are the center of the universe.

You're exactly the type of mid-levels I am referring to when I started this thread.

People behold the militant mid level who cries equivalency.

History is good to know. You can learn more from a physician who thinks "Nightangale" had something to offer.
Victoria Sweet, a physician in San Francisco, is the author of “God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine.”

Even Semmelweis learned something important from the lowly midwifes. "Known as the “father of infection control”, Dr Ignaz (or Ignac) Semmelweis (fig 1) was a Hungarian born physician who received his MD degree in Vienna in 1844. In 1847 he was given a 2 year appointment as an assistant in obstetrics with responsibility for the First Division of the maternity service of the vast Allgemeine Krankenhaus teaching hospital in Vienna.4 There he observed that women delivered by physicians and medical students had a much higher rate (13–18%) of post-delivery mortality (called puerperal fever or childbed fever) than women delivered by midwife trainees or midwives (2%)."

So, you think I'm a militant mid-level? Seriously? I'm damn good at my job and I take treating soldiers and their families very seriously. I know my stuff and I know that. I'm not an ego maniac but I do have great ego-strength and no one pulls bulls**t over on me. I've been tramping around hospitals for 43 years, probably before you were born. One psychiatrist I worked with used to manage a 100 psychiatrist practice in CA and he said I was in the top 10% of all of them. I have it in writing if you have difficulty with that. I started off as an orderly, before males were even called nurses aides. I worked in a small town where the local general surgeon wanted me to go to medical school. I made rounds with him, helped him with procedures, went into surgery with him, helped with his medical examiner job, looked down all kinds of scopes, did all kinds of RT and PT techniques that any CNA would go to jail for now. I was reading EKGs then. Do they still have the, what was it called, the bright orange Dubins EKG book or something like that? I can make chest tubes out of foley caths, and suction from glass bottles. I finished a 1 year medic training, challenged the CA state boards then went to work in a Level I ER (University of Mississippi Medical Center). After 3 months I was the evening charge nurse and 1 year later the manager of the place. Then, I challenged nursing school and got my BSN. Good story right? A highly motivated lad beating the odds against ADHD.

I don't claim equivalency. I claim that I'm doing the exact same job as the psychiatrists I work with except for the one that runs a suboxone clinic and the ones treating kids. They will tell you the same. Now, based on their training and experience they may approach a clinical situation differently. All my different training and experiences also comes into play. I know what everyone does because, until this Monday, I was the only prescriber for an urgent care clinic. I saw new patients that couldn't wait till they got in for an intake, people having side effects, hospital returns, emergencies, etc, etc.. We also do peer review on each other so I know how everyone practices. I belong to only one professional organization and that is for CME reasons. I don't give a hoot about any political action. You guys have already lost there anyway so might as well give up. Now, if I was as you say, my employer wouldn't have already made plans to hire me as soon as my contract is over. I would not have done 4 grand rounds presentations last year to 50 plus people and 1 this year. You got that now?

You can only understand someone when you know where they've been and done. That's why you're getting tidbits. I have walked with Tigers and you don't kill one with your bare hands.

Some general points that might help this conversation be a little more constructive:

1.) This poster is telling you that your responses are disorganized, which makes your points seem disjointed and difficult to follow. Better organization would help us understand you.

2.) While it is wonderful that you seem to have lead a full and interesting life, it isn't of much interest to us for a number of reasons. Mostly because we have no way to verify your stories, we don't know you personally, and the students here aren't likely to find anecdotes compelling.

3.) Statistics without a source (to clarify methods, scope, and provide context) are useless. The methods are important to the interpretation of the results, and having the results without them only distorts the truth and provides false confidence.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm beginning to think you're that person at work/school that NOBODY likes, but we talk to them because we feel bad for them. You are that guy! We did NOT say the same thing.

There is a difference between saying "there is not a whole lot to learn about the brain, it's simple microscopically VS there is A LOT to learn about the brain and all it's complexities." See and here's the difference, I know A LOT more than you about the brain, which is why I stated it's no easy subject matter to learn and comprehend. I know how far in depth human A&P 1-2 courses go when taught to the nursing majors. And it scratches the surface.

I know your online degree probably taught you this is a "brain, this is a neuron, this is the spinal cord" now let's move on to the GI system!

No, I'm simply saying there's a lot we don't know about the brain. You agree to that?

I know with all your hard studies and having to memorize a lot of stuff that you probably haven't had the time to review the evidence-based studies (for what they are worth) about distance education. Might want to do that before you get in deeper. I love distance education because I don't have to sit in a classroom with idiots who ask questions about the material they should have already read. I didn't have to waste time and gas driving to school and finding a parking spot. I used all that time to study. I started my NP program while living in Bangladesh and Thailand. We had a lot of resource material, such as physical exam and interviewing techniques from, of all places well-known medical schools. I could run those videos back and forth any time of the day or night till I had a physician-performed physical completely memorized. Then when I would fly back to the states for testing with real people I had it down pat. I tailored my clinical to what I wanted. I did some at a Navy hospital in Okinawa an dat aVA outpatient clinic in Texas. Now, here I am working for the military. BTW, the daughter of a retired Navy Captain who was then employed as contract psychiatrist at the Navy hospital, shadowed me to see if she wanted to be a Psych NP, social worker, or physician. Both her father and my psychiatrist preceptor told her to go to NP school.

History is good to know. You can learn more from a physician who thinks "Nightangale" had something to offer.
Victoria Sweet, a physician in San Francisco, is the author of “God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine.”

Even Semmelweis learned something important from the lowly midwifes. "Known as the “father of infection control”, Dr Ignaz (or Ignac) Semmelweis (fig 1) was a Hungarian born physician who received his MD degree in Vienna in 1844. In 1847 he was given a 2 year appointment as an assistant in obstetrics with responsibility for the First Division of the maternity service of the vast Allgemeine Krankenhaus teaching hospital in Vienna.4 There he observed that women delivered by physicians and medical students had a much higher rate (13–18%) of post-delivery mortality (called puerperal fever or childbed fever) than women delivered by midwife trainees or midwives (2%)."

So, you think I'm a militant mid-level? Seriously? I'm damn good at my job and I take treating soldiers and their families very seriously. I know my stuff and I know that. I'm not an ego maniac but I do have great ego-strength and no one pulls bulls**t over on me. I've been tramping around hospitals for 43 years, probably before you were born. One psychiatrist I worked with used to manage a 100 psychiatrist practice in CA and he said I was in the top 10% of all of them. I have it in writing if you have difficulty with that. I started off as an orderly, before males were even called nurses aides. I worked in a small town where the local general surgeon wanted me to go to medical school. I made rounds with him, helped him with procedures, went into surgery with him, helped with his medical examiner job, looked down all kinds of scopes, did all kinds of RT and PT techniques that any CNA would go to jail for now. I was reading EKGs then. Do they still have the, what was it called, the bright orange Dubins EKG book or something like that? I can make chest tubes out of foley caths, and suction from glass bottles. I finished a 1 year medic training, challenged the CA state boards then went to work in a Level I ER (University of Mississippi Medical Center). After 3 months I was the evening charge nurse and 1 year later the manager of the place. Then, I challenged nursing school and got my BSN. Good story right? A highly motivated lad beating the odds against ADHD.

I don't claim equivalency. I claim that I'm doing the exact same job as the psychiatrists I work with except for the one that runs a suboxone clinic and the ones treating kids. They will tell you the same. Now, based on their training and experience they may approach a clinical situation differently. All my different training and experiences also comes into play. I know what everyone does because, until this Monday, I was the only prescriber for an urgent care clinic. I saw new patients that couldn't wait till they got in for an intake, people having side effects, hospital returns, emergencies, etc, etc.. We also do peer review on each other so I know how everyone practices. I belong to only one professional organization and that is for CME reasons. I don't give a hoot about any political action. You guys have already lost there anyway so might as well give up. Now, if I was as you say, my employer wouldn't have already made plans to hire me as soon as my contract is over. I would not have done 4 grand rounds presentations last year to 50 plus people and 1 this year. You got that now?

Can you contact NASA? Do you have connections with them? Seeing how you know all these elites. Why don't you take the next flight "TO THE MOON" because you're already half way there. Would hate to see you miss your final destination. And don't forget your antipsychotics!

Last edited:
View attachment 178901View attachment 178902

Oh Kale you must be one of those that hold onto the dream of becoming a physician. No, you can't use your SATS scores to replace an MCAT :) Oops look what I found in the other pic, even you agreed that getting into any medical school "even lower tier" doesn't matter.

If you call 1-800-university-of-pheonix, you to can be called doctor. Just not the type of doctor you are striving to be.

Where did I say that I wanted to join the healthcare profession? I'm not a nurse nor a doctor and I don't want to be either. I make more money than most doctors doing something non-healthcare related.

As for my other threads, they are for purposes of discussion only. I personally only think the top 20 or so medical schools are considered "good," just like I do with all graduate programs (if not the top 10). My point was that there doesn't seem to be a huge financial difference coming out of a lower ranked med school and coming out from a good one as long as you do similarly on the Step 1.

Last edited:
Huh? Where did I say that I wanted to join the healthcare profession? I'm not a nurse nor a doctor and I don't want to be either. I make more money than most doctors doing something non-healthcare related.

As for my other threads, they are for purposes of discussion only. I personally only think the top 20 or so medical schools are considered "good," just like I do with all graduate programs (if not the top 10). My point was that there doesn't seem to be a huge financial difference coming out of a lower ranked med school and coming out from a good one as long as you do similarly on the Step 1.

It's okay, you should contact Zenman1 he has a good online program for an NP degree you can earn.

It is pretty evident by looking at your previous posts/ topics, that you just couldn't hack it into medical school. That happens, it's highly competitive for a reason. But there is a shortcut to it, just contact Zenman, he'll give you the scoop. Come next year, you'll have a University of Phoenix online Doctor NP !! :)

N/M.

Zenman, save it for your autobiography. No one here cares about your life story or your anecdotes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's okay, you should contact Zenman1 he has a good online program for an NP degree you can earn.

It is pretty evident by looking at your previous posts/ topics, that you just couldn't hack it into medical school. That happens, it's highly competitive for a reason. But there is a shortcut to it, just contact Zenman, he'll give you the scoop. Come next year, you'll have a University of Phoenix online Doctor NP !! :)

What is with this incessant trolling by a University of Phoenix adcom? Also, if you need advice on how to get rid of your dyslexia, PM me. It pains me to read incoherent garbage. I'm sure it's worse for you writing it.

If you're actually a medical school student, that says even more about how TTT your medical school is. Good luck with your tiny little pink net worth in 10 years when you actually get out of your TTT.

Last edited:
What is with this incessant trolling by a University of Phoenix adcom? Also, if you need advice on how to get rid of your dyslexia, PM me. It pains me to read incoherent garbage. I'm sure it's worse for you writing it.

If you're actually a medical school student, that says even more about how TTT your medical school is.

Trust me, I don't need to see a kid who is still strung up on how amazing he did on his high school SATS.

Did you get student of the month this week? I bet your folks parade those bumper stickers around the block.

So, no thank you, I only seek medical advice from MD's

Oh wow what's going on in here.

Pedal to the metal, right off the cliff.

Are you a Donald Rumsfeld fan?

This reminds me of the time that a technician at the tire store told me that hydroplaning was just simple physics and chemistry. The incredibly complex fluid mechanics and corresponding tread design modeling were his unknown unknowns.

I don't know why you guys seem to have such a difficult time with this. "In my area you can know all there is to know about the brain, right down to microscopic level, which isn't a whole lot." What I'm saying is that you can know all this is to know CURRENTLY about the brain and you still won't know much. There's a lot we don't know. Now, do you understand this because otherwise you are saying we know everything about the brain.

He's misinformed, I did say way back in this thread "you don't know, what you don't know." You stand correct Patassa.

So far I've only made it to the end of page 1 of this tirade. If your comment is on that page then I missed it. If it's further in I haven't made it there yet, which makes your post null and void. If you would stop posting for a day or so I could weed my way though the rest of the posts. You are on here so much I'm starting to doubt your claims of suffering through such a rigorous educational process.

I don't know why you guys seem to have such a difficult time with this. "In my area you can know all there is to know about the brain, right down to microscopic level, which isn't a whole lot." What I'm saying is that you can know all this is to know CURRENTLY about the brain and you still won't know much. There's a lot we don't know. Now, do you understand this because otherwise you are saying we know everything about the brain.

You're right. There's a lot you NPs don't know.

I don't know why so many educated people think I said the brain was simple. I said we know very little about it. Jeez.

Here's the logic of this comment, once you understand the brain is not simple. This is a continuation of the fact that I said the brain was not simple: "Oh, did I forget to mention I was paraphrasing Stephen Stahl, M.D… you know the well known psychopharmacologist? His "Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical applications" was one of my textbooks. I guess you didn't have that one. Open it up and you'll see a lot of (I'll provide snippets), "To know where in the brain psychiatric symptoms are hypothetically mediated…;""The concept of disease progression in major depression is controversial, unproven, and provocative…;" For many years, the action of bupropion has been unclear, and it still remains somewhat controversial." Makes it very clear what's happening when I treat depression, with bupropion, for example, doesn't it?

Hopefully this will also help Critical Mass. So when we are sitting across from a depressed patient we have to consider that their psychiatric symptoms are originating from certain brain pathways "hypothetically." Then we consider that "the concept of disease progression in major depression is controversial, unproven, and provocative." And finally, if I think bupropion is an appropriate choice for the patient, I have to consider "the action of bupropion has been unclear, and it still remains somewhat controversial." The primary theory, last time I looked, was that the theory behind antidepressants was that depression was caused by low levels of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine, and if we could correct that imbalance, the patient would be helped. Now we know that is not true, if the research is correct. People who are depressed tend to have no depletion of th egenes that produce these neurotransmitters, which may explain why half of the patients are non-responders. Sounds like since nobody knows anything for sure, I should just study the placebo effect or throw a bunch of pills at a patient's forehead and see which ones stick. Maybe skittles would work. Do you know know placebos which are the color of your favorite sports teams work better than other colors?

Have you ever heard the phrase, the more you know, the more you realize you know nothing?

Midlevels only scratch the surface in terms of knowledge while physicians learn magnitudes more, and still there is so much that we as human beings don't understand yet. So when you come in here and blow it off, act like 600 clinical hours is adequate and say that you are doing the "exact same thing" as psychiatrists it's a damn joke. Let me remind you the education those psychiatrists have: 4 years undergraduate, 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency. And if they have any fellowships that could be several additional years of experience as well.

You are not qualified to be a psychiatrist. If you want to be a psychiatrist, go to medical school, pass your boards, and complete your residency. Until then, you are acting like the 5 year old who wants to sit at the grown up table.

Some general points that might help this conversation be a little more constructive:

1.) This poster is telling you that your responses are disorganized, which makes your points seem disjointed and difficult to follow. Better organization would help us understand you.

2.) While it is wonderful that you seem to have lead a full and interesting life, it isn't of much interest to us for a number of reasons. Mostly because we have no way to verify your stories, we don't know you personally, and the students here aren't likely to find anecdotes compelling.

3.) Statistics without a source (to clarify methods, scope, and provide context) are useless. The methods are important to the interpretation of the results, and having the results without them only distorts the truth and provides false confidence.

This is a very good post; definitely a step up. However, this is a forum where people get on and spout whatever they pretty much want. Most of these posts are not expected to be literary masterpieces. Most of us, me included, are jumping on at various times in between other activities and have to be quick so it may well be disjointed. Use your unconscious to understand it. I'm in psych where relationships are important. It's ok that you guys laugh at anecdotes, but considering the facts about research and that you don't know if what you're studying is correct, then anecdotes take on more importance. When I'm sitting across from a patient the fact that their symptoms are orginating from their orbital frontal cortex might fly swiftly across my awareness while my primary focus is listening to their story and getting into their experiences. You don't have to verify my stories as I am not my story, just as patients are not their stories...or I at least try to get them to that awareness. But everyone loves a good yarn and you guys need one after studying so hard.

Trying to locate sources is something I don't have time for unless they are handy in my office...and again we know about how to lie with statistics.

But thanks, and I will try to slow down some.

Have I called anyone names? Must of missed that somewhere. It's fun to play with you whippersnappers and if you make a post like OP did, then I want to come play in the sandbox so you might learn from someone with more experience. Besides, I might be mirrowing your behavior so that you can gain some insight...not talking about you personally here. Playing with youngsters keep you young. My 88 yr old Dad still works 20 hrs a week for a city in Texas and never stops moving the rest of the time. I expect to outlast him and be practicing full-time till I'm 90 so see you later!

This thread is entertaining.

That is all. I have no desires to get into discussions with delusional NPs who believe they are better than attending psychiatrists.

Reactions: 2 users
Reading this thread has been a great way to start my spring break. Thanks everybody.

One time I partied with Lil Jon and Will Smith in Vegas for 6 months straight so you'll have to do something really big to impress me. Go for it.

Seriously? Ok, I drank Ayahuasca with Shipibo shamans in the Amazon and did many ceremonies with Q'ero Indians. I was almost a contestant on the 2nd season of "Survivor." Made it to next-to- final group of 500. Me and a police officer rescued a lady from her driveway with her throat cut by a disgrunted husband. Luckily, he was at the time in the bushes of the house next door, exchanging gunfire with another police officer. I've flown as a helicopter flight nurse picking up guys off boats and oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. We had better nav gear than the Coast Guard so they would call us when it was too bad for them to go out. I've landed on boats in high seas which is fun in a helicopter. I once hauled two guys off a rig only to find I was also injured so we had to shut the chopper down so I could also be treated. I've walked with Tigers in Thailand...want a pic? I've been in several embassy "lockdowns" in Bangladesh during riots. I was in Nepal during a coup. I once had over a 100 students in my office...well actually...laid out all over the place puking after drinking contimated water. Luckily, I had a CDC physician there who helped me identify the cause. I've had hundreds of massages from Thai girls. I've SCUBA dived in open ocean in Thailand. I've been to nude beaches. I once asked a nun, "How the hell are you, sister?" Some things I can't talk about but is this enough for now?

Seriously? Ok, I drank Ayahuasca with Shipibo shamans in the Amazon and did many ceremonies with Q'ero Indians. I was almost a contestant on the 2nd season of "Survivor." Made it to next-to- final group of 500. Me and a police officer rescued a lady from her driveway with her throat cut by a disgrunted husband. Luckily, he was at the time in the bushes of the house next door, exchanging gunfire with another police officer. I've flown as a helicopter flight nurse picking up guys off boats and oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. We had better nav gear than the Coast Guard so they would call us when it was too bad for them to go out. I've landed on boats in high seas which is fun in a helicopter. I once hauled two guys off a rig only to find I was also injured so we had to shut the chopper down so I could also be treated. I've walked with Tigers in Thailand...want a pic? I've been in several embassy "lockdowns" in Bangladesh during riots. I was in Nepal during a coup. I once had over a 100 students in my office...well actually...laid out all over the place puking after drinking contimated water. Luckily, I had a CDC physician there who helped me identify the cause. I've had hundreds of massages from Thai girls. I've SCUBA dived in open ocean in Thailand. I've been to nude beaches. I once asked a nun, "How the hell are you, sister?" Some things I can't talk about but is this enough for now?

I feel more awesome just from reading this.

Sadly, it won't make me a better physician. Probably something to do with too much Ayahuasca.

Seriously, sir, you are better off banging your head against a wall than spending the time posting all this.

First many med students skip class and watch power point slides or videos. I know that for a fact. Second, check out the research on distance education before you make a fool of yourself. The "online clinical supervision" was Rush University faculty keeping a close eye on me while I was with my psychiatrist preceptor at a Navy Hospital in Okinawa and then with a Psych NP at a VA mental health clinic in Texas. You are aware that Rush is not a podunk school right? Many of our resources were videos made by, cough, cough, medical schools for their students. I've been to both brick and mortar schools as well as this distance ed program, and since I don't have to be spoon fed I prefer distance education over sitting in a classroom. The courses like you see above are going to come back and bite you in the butt. These students are learning business-related things you do not learn. Which is why physicians are so poor at any kind of business. Jeez, I had to walk a doc through how to code his visits recently. These nurses, and especially DNP students, are going to be hiring you some day. I've seen some of their capstone projects and they are setting up clinics, projects, etc,. Some should have helped Obama with his failed project. I've taken a DNP financial course for an elective and it was as rigorous as ones in my MBA program. So, I wouldn't be laughing too hard. Many of you guys are dreaming up stories about DNPs wanting to be equal. I haven't seen one yet but you better not be laughing too hard as they are going to get you from another direction. Consider yourself warned.

Have you ever heard the phrase, the more you know, the more you realize you know nothing?

Midlevels only scratch the surface in terms of knowledge while physicians learn magnitudes more, and still there is so much that we as human beings don't understand yet. So when you come in here and blow it off, act like 600 clinical hours is adequate and say that you are doing the "exact same thing" as psychiatrists it's a damn joke. Let me remind you the education those psychiatrists have: 4 years undergraduate, 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency. And if they have any fellowships that could be several additional years of experience as well.

You are not qualified to be a psychiatrist. If you want to be a psychiatrist, go to medical school, pass your boards, and complete your residency. Until then, you are acting like the 5 year old who wants to sit at the grown up table.

I'm not a psychiatrist; I'm a Psychiatric Nurse practitioner. I've very aware of your education, thanks. I'll tell you what I'll do just for you. I'll see if I can catch my boss today and get his take on this. But I've already told you I'm doing the exact same job and why that is so....except for running a suboxone clinic and seeing adolescents and kids.