******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so for the icc exam they have 34 skills listed in the guide. i'm guessing that each of the 4 stations will have closer to 8 things listed as opposed to 10...

Do they have a worksheet posted anywhere? It would help me review the material.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they have a worksheet posted anywhere? It would help me review the material.

noodle's main page has 2 adobe files (under icc) that list what we have to do (with pictures). very helpful.

noodle's main page has 2 adobe files (under icc) that list what we have to do (with pictures). very helpful.

Yeah, those I have... I was wondering if we can see what will be at each station. Its easier to group the skills in my head that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, those I have... I was wondering if we can see what will be at each station. Its easier to group the skills in my head that way.

nah i don't think they'll give us that. but as long as we know the 34 skills listed on noodle we'll be fine.

Hmmm...new curriculum, new dean, new faculty, schedules for the entire academic year are released in august, a study room with over 200 cubicles for studying, and incoming class this year was 300 I hear. Subtract 40 problem based students and you have 260 students in the lecture hall. NYCOMs 3 buildings are far from small. NYCOM I has 4 floors plus a 3 floor library, NYCOM II has 4 floors, including 2 300-seat lecture halls, a gym, OMM lab, conference rooms, offices, etc.., and NYCOM III has 4 floors, including a large auditorium, clinic with tons of exam rooms, cafeteria, anatomy lab, etc..

Thats why I came here:)

now this was a quote from a student in 2005, seems like nycom has issues in the past similar to today, i have an interview at the end of Feb, and if i get in it will be my last ch pick, i will choose TORO-NY any day over NYCOM, the only advantage to NYCOM is the hospital rot due to the fact its been around for longer

Good luck with TORO-NY....please,dont come to NYCOM if u dont like the school....

nah i don't think they'll give us that. but as long as we know the 34 skills listed on noodle we'll be fine.

Where did you get 34? I only see 28 videos under the neurological examination section.

Where did you get 34? I only see 28 videos under the neurological examination section.

i'm not talking about the videos, i'm talking about the documents that they have uploaded to noodle. they have 34 skills listed.

What other schools have streaming... because I would be lost without it. I absolutely love skipping class and streaming it later. There is no better feeling than leaving class before lunch and knowing your work doesnt have to suffer.

What other schools have streaming... because I would be lost without it. I absolutely love skipping class and streaming it later. There is no better feeling than leaving class before lunch and knowing your work doesnt have to suffer.

did you see the newest email about that? if 'visual inspection' of class attendance appears to be below 80% they won't post the lecture to stream.

on the plus side, they dropped the attendance policy for lecture; we no longer have to attend 80%+ of the lectures. the downside is that they'll take away our streaming if we bail.

lame. :rolleyes:

Damn just last wk I said NYCOM ain't all that bad, and it gets better 2nd yr...What a slap in the face

Its really kinda comical.

The issue is that even if I go to class most of the time I need to waste time streaming it later.

Its really just become a baby fight between students and Scandal-ous. Deans don't like to made to look stupid.

If anyone hasnt checked it out yet, just go to youtube and google nycom skit, its pretty funny stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)

SEXPISTOL YOU JINXED IT!!! (j/k), but yeah this is ridiculous. Visual counting would waste more time. I need that ****

I hope 80% of students are in class everyday.

I need access to lectures NYCOM requires me to be absent from (such as ICC). I need to stream lecturers with strong accents. I need access to lectures when the material requires more than a once through (i.e. most of it). I need to stream when slides/images are presented in class, but not on the powerpoint.

I go to class, why am I being punished? How is this going to make me a better doctor? Why did they spend so much money on the clicker system and the audio-visual recording technology? Considering they aren't using all of what my tuition paid for, will this reflect a reduction in my tuition?

well it looks as if I can now put the web cam on my laptop to a good, wholesome use! :p

seriously... this is getting ridiculous. video streams in medical school aren't uncommon. with lack of a transcription service, they are essential for studying our materials.

Lets see if our class president is awake and cares about lecture based people as well as the DPC guys.

We need to do something about it.
Most of my studying is done by streaming it. that is a big part of why I came to NYCOM.
We are in graduate program not in kindergarden. They should try to help us become great Doctors.
Sounds like a game of ego.:confused:

Please lets get together and do something about it. we should all write to them and also make the class president go talk with them.

im with you guys. fight the power! stop this childish policy that degrades us into feeling like school kids! if there's an online petition to sign, let me know and I'll have everyone I know from class of 2012 facebook group sign it. 40k a year for conditional lecture streams. i call shenanigans.

im with you guys. fight the power! stop this childish policy that degrades us into feeling like school kids! if there's an online petition to sign, let me know and I'll have everyone I know from class of 2012 facebook group sign it. 40k a year for conditional lecture streams. i call shenanigans.

I think "Fight the power" is kind as childish. In an ideal situation, those in power would be doing what's in the best interest of its students and it would be a cooperative effort. To be realistic, an online petition would likely do nothing. It's too bad that so much controversy has surrounded our first year of medical school. I'm here to learn to become the best doctor I can whereas it seems alternative goals have been created by our school. I don't see how removing streams is going to make me more effective. I'm so disappointed. Right in the middle of my preparation for an exam they are removing a tool I use to supplement my studying. If not enough people buy books from the bookstore, would they remove those also? This really makes no sense, and I'm still in disbelief.

I think "Fight the power" is kind as childish. In an ideal situation, those in power would be doing what's in the best interest of its students and it would be a cooperative effort. To be realistic, an online petition would likely do nothing. It's too bad that so much controversy has surrounded our first year of medical school. I'm here to learn to become the best doctor I can whereas it seems alternative goals have been created by our school. I don't see how removing streams is going to make me more effective. I'm so disappointed. Right in the middle of my preparation for an exam they are removing a tool I use to supplement my studying. If not enough people buy books from the bookstore, would they remove those also? This really makes no sense, and I'm still in disbelief.

I was being facetious with the 'fight the power' thing, but in any case I sympathize with your concerns about the studying. The point is to learn as much as possible and to have the tools available to do so.

I love deans that go out of their way to implement stupid rules...bringing people closer to failing classes and scoring lower on boards. Can we impeach him?

Get one thing straight buddy. Those who are in charge are not concerned with students passing. They are only concerned with their own hidden agendas.....whether it would be power, money, ego etc.

I don't think any of us students understand what the school administration's interest is really...
If it is for our own good they can come to class and discuss it with us. we are implementing this policy b/c we believe this will help you in this aspect..

What a self-serving, pretentious, absolutely ridiculous excuse. I am sitting here attemping to listen to gilliar lecture, but am still in mild shock as to how someone could actually stand up on that stage and be more ridiculous than kanye west was during his speech at the grammy's the other night. unfreaking-believable.

What a self-serving, pretentious, absolutely ridiculous excuse. I am sitting here attemping to listen to gilliar lecture, but am still in mild shock as to how someone could actually stand up on that stage and be more ridiculous than kanye west was during his speech at the grammy's the other night. unfreaking-believable.

i'm with you.

remember, don't let your amygdala control you. ;)

i'm with you.

remember, don't let your amygdala control you. ;)

its seriously amazing. just when you think there are no lower levels for them to drop to - they go out of their way to create a new nadir of insanity and stupidity - complete and total abject stupidity.

what's the big deal? they're taking away the attendance policy, that's the best thing...just stream last year's lectures if this year's ones get taken down. 99% of them are the exact same thing.

what's the big deal? they're taking away the attendance policy, that's the best thing...just stream last year's lectures if this year's ones get taken down. 99% of them are the exact same thing.

if they take streaming away from us it won't be long before they remove last year's lectures from noodle/movies page as well. they aren't stupid.

WOW!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some of u seem to get real defensive about your school, yet many of u have been saying some of the same things in different ways. I did not just get my info from some poster on the internet, i have heard others state NYCOM issues and I heard its the ROSS of DO schools. FOr those that seem to be offended by my posting, are u denying NYCOM's attrition rate and please dont tell me its bc the students all had such low stats compared to other DO schools, i have heard that so many times from the mouths of school defenders and quite frankley, i dont by it.

WOW!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some of u seem to get real defensive about your school, yet many of u have been saying some of the same things in different ways. I did not just get my info from some poster on the internet, i have heard others state NYCOM issues and I heard its the ROSS of DO schools. FOr those that seem to be offended by my posting, are u denying NYCOM's attrition rate and please dont tell me its bc the students all had such low stats compared to other DO schools, i have heard that so many times from the mouths of school defenders and quite frankley, i dont by it.

why dont u discuss the issues instead of trying to dig up dirt on me and give me a grammer lesson, yes my man did get rejected a few years back, so what, and i have an interview in a few weeks, what that have to do with all the -'s i have heard regarding NYCOM, and yes there is always a complaint about a school but NYCOM by far had the highest percentage i have seen

You only say what you say about NYCOM because your boyfriend was rejected from here. :laugh:

if they take streaming away from us it won't be long before they remove last year's lectures from noodle/movies page as well. they aren't stupid.

they will block our access to the class of 2010 like they blocked our access to the class of 2009.

Harry Potter reference for those who get it -
Dolores Umbridge's Educational Decree Number 67: If class attendance (by visual inspection) falls below 80%, streamed lectures will not be posted.

why dont u discuss the issues instead of trying to dig up dirt on me and give me a grammer lesson, yes my man did get rejected a few years back, so what, and i have an interview in a few weeks, what that have to do with all the -'s i have heard regarding NYCOM, and yes there is always a complaint about a school but NYCOM by far had the highest percentage i have seen

NYCOM is going through a transition phase. There is always controversy during change. However, it is still a very strong school with very highly regarded clinical years (3 and 4). The match lists are impressive and NYCOM is a recognized name in the clinical world. Despite the complaining and the changes, NYCOM will still make you into a good physician.

Why even come here for the interview? You clearly hate it here. Please, do yourself a favor and apply to another school.

Look lady, do us a favor and bomb your interview like your boyfriend. He had a 28 and STILL got rejected? Wow you two must have a lot of personality traits/flaws in common.

Students at all schools get upset. NYCOM actually has some of the higher board scores among DO schools and many people here chose NYCOM over MD schools. I personally would rather be going to a DO school in the NY metro area than to an allopathic school in buffalo which was another option.

The other medical schools in the NY metro area ARE more competitive than NYCOM, BUT, across the country, there are definitely allopathic schools that are less competitive than NYCOM. Think about how many states have state schools that are only open to state residents. Take Oklahoma state for example.

Take Oklahoma State University Medical School for example. They have a mean MCAT of 25 which is probably because it's only open to state residents. Most state medical schools are like that by the way. Honestly, I don't know what NYCOM's mean MCAT was but a 25 is not competitive when compared to the 31+'s of all the other NY medical schools.

Before you start knocking NYCOM, realize that many people are here because of location and NOT because they didn't get in anywhere else. Yes, many people are frustrated with the administration for not listening to the students, but I went to an ivy league college for my undergraduate years and the complaints were a hell of a lot worse about the administration. IMO, the administration at Dartmouth listened a hell of a lot less than the administration at NYCOM and while I don't think NYCOM is very responsive to student needs, I honestly DO believe they have our best interests in mind.

Anyway, you shouldn't keep knocking NYCOM before you get into ANY medical school. Good luck if you get in somewhere, wherever you wind up.

Wow, our class is ripping you a new one. But in reality, it kind of scares me that someone who doesn't want to go to school here would apply and come to an interview (i.e. you). I'm also kind of scared what your method of communication (grammar / tone) is representative of regarding your educational achievement and social intelligence. :scared:

okay change of subject:

Does any one know a way of downloading the lectures as supposed to streaming it?
when I stream I can not change the speed too many times nor stop and play too many times WMplayer freezes too many times. Any way to just download it and watch it that way. hopefully WMPlayer doesn't go cookoo that way.

we used to use a program called flash-get to download the lectures onto our hard drive. i think nycom blocked it, but maybe there is a similar program that will work.

or maybe you just need to update your windows media player.

sorry about the attendance policy change. it all comes back to getting adjuncts and alumni to come back and teach. they dont want to teach to an empty classroom. we had no attendance policy, yet i was one of the 20 people that went to class every day. the profs would constantly make remarks about how no one goes to class, which to them means no one cares about learning medicine, and they would essentially yell at us so the people watching the stream could hear it (like that would make them feel bad?). or they would shut off the microphone and give us tq's so the streamers wouldnt get them right. i even got yelled at by at least 3 different profs (that i can remember) for emailing them a question about their lecture, and they said i didnt understand it because i wasnt in class, even though i was. bottom line is there just isnt enough full time faculty to teach every subject in medicine, and they have to rely on alumni or docs in the area, and in order to make it appealing for them to teach at nycom (aside from the big bucks) they have to ensure the lecturer gets a big audience. i know they get paid regardless of how many people are sitting in class. but take into account that the money they get from teaching doesnt compare to the money they would get using that time to see patients.
i am not trying to defend the policy change, i just wanted to throw out another perspective. i know it doesnt make it right...
the first 2 years at nycom will fly by, i promise.

we used to use a program called flash-get to download the lectures onto our hard drive. i think nycom blocked it, but maybe there is a similar program that will work.

or maybe you just need to update your windows media player.

sorry about the attendance policy change. it all comes back to getting adjuncts and alumni to come back and teach. they dont want to teach to an empty classroom. we had no attendance policy, yet i was one of the 20 people that went to class every day. the profs would constantly make remarks about how no one goes to class, which to them means no one cares about learning medicine, and they would essentially yell at us so the people watching the stream could hear it (like that would make them feel bad?). or they would shut off the microphone and give us tq's so the streamers wouldnt get them right. i even got yelled at by at least 3 different profs (that i can remember) for emailing them a question about their lecture, and they said i didnt understand it because i wasnt in class, even though i was. bottom line is there just isnt enough full time faculty to teach every subject in medicine, and they have to rely on alumni or docs in the area, and in order to make it appealing for them to teach at nycom (aside from the big bucks) they have to ensure the lecturer gets a big audience. i know they get paid regardless of how many people are sitting in class. but take into account that the money they get from teaching doesnt compare to the money they would get using that time to see patients.
i am not trying to defend the policy change, i just wanted to throw out another perspective. i know it doesnt make it right...
the first 2 years at nycom will fly by, i promise.
yup Flashget does not. Found a way around it though.
I understand your point on the lecturers and empty class room but perhaps they should explain it to the lecturers that they are teaching it to the streamers.

oh well we will deal with this but they have no right to stop the streaming.

Its just ridiculous that they use streaming and the "technology" as a huge recruiting tool for appliclants and now they are holding it over our heads and threatening to take it away. It is a study tool. And a helpful one.
Side not if anyone does find a dowloader PM me also

It's always a great feeling to see all the lovely lectures on stream after a long hard day of classes.

ill relax when i see segans up there

The last stream is never posted if it ends around 5 pm because the person who posts the links up is different from the tech guys. The woman in charge of posting links leaves at 5 pm, so if the video goes past 5pm, it gets put up tomorrow when they update the page. They usually update once a day around 3:40 PM everyday.

I like to look at it like this.... Do you have any siblings? I do... 3 of them. I love my siblings to death, but I still fight with them. I'll say mean things to them sometimes, and not want to talk to them occasionally (this happens a lot less now that we're all adults). However, if anyone else ever said anything about my siblings (even if it's the same thing I said) I would be PISSED! This is how we feel about NYCOM. It's our school, and we can say bad things about it, and it can get us angry, but that doesn't mean we don't like it. But you've never been here, so who are you to pass judgement. Get it?

That is so on point Kate
Dont be talking about our NYCOM. We may not be very happy with our bowtie guy right now but he is still our bald bowtie guy

I like to look at it like this.... Do you have any siblings? I do... 3 of them. I love my siblings to death, but I still fight with them. I'll say mean things to them sometimes, and not want to talk to them occasionally (this happens a lot less now that we're all adults). However, if anyone else ever said anything about my siblings (even if it's the same thing I said) I would be PISSED! This is how we feel about NYCOM. It's our school, and we can say bad things about it, and it can get us angry, but that doesn't mean we don't like it. But you've never been here, so who are you to pass judgement. Get it?

Perfectly stated :love:

Thanks Kate - that is a perfect way to put it!
:love: