******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are THE "300" spartans. Don't touch us. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

again, it still seems that some of u so called students;) are engaging in personal attacks against me for speaking on some of the ..... i have heard about NYCOM, i NEVER stated students at NYCOM are inferior and had less stats, if anything i was defending the students who fail out every semester, for those of u defending the school with such passion,I ask again, do u deny NYCOM has a huge attrition rate and what are the reasons for this, i bet some of u will attribute this to those students being not up to par, and i dont need any of u telling me were to go to school, last time i checked its my decision not yours

Hey, Pre-med. Put a lid on it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
At NYCOM, recorded/streamed lectures are not/were never intended as a sufficient or necessary learning activity...in the event, which we do not seek, that the streamed lectures are unavailable, I strongly believe your education will not suffer...but rather that you, as a conscientious, adult-learner, can equally (or better) use the available time in other time-tested pursuits of learning (e.g., reading in books).

Ronald Portanova, PhD
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs
Professor and Chair, Biomedical Sciences
Serota Building
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
of New York Institute of Technology
Northern Boulevard
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
516.686.3980 phone
516.686.3840 fax
[email protected]

At NYCOM, recorded/streamed lectures are not/were never intended as a sufficient or necessary learning activity...in the event, which we do not seek, that the streamed lectures are unavailable, I strongly believe your education will not suffer...but rather that you, as a conscientious, adult-learner, can equally (or better) use the available time in other time-tested pursuits of learning (e.g., reading in books).

Ronald Portanova, PhD
Associate Dean, Academic Affairs
Professor and Chair, Biomedical Sciences
Serota Building
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
of New York Institute of Technology
Northern Boulevard
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
516.686.3980 phone
516.686.3840 fax
[email protected]
If we want to be heard we should talk it out with them. THEY ,school, feels strongly that we don't need the streaming. and removing it will not hurt our studying if you feel the same very nice otherwise you owe it to your self to drop them an email very nicely and logicaly let them know that it not the case.

Let me see how many people support me there? instead of just nagging about thing here lets do something more usefull.

LOVE NYCOM! Lets be the Great Doctors that we can be.

Dr. Portanova honestly makes a good point though. IMO, streaming isn't necessary, it's a bit of a luxury, and in a way, I think it may be detrimental for boards. It helps in the short term to pass NYCOM exams. Many lecturers give hints about test questions but if that's all you focus your studying on, it's not going to help you much for boards.

Try going through the slides on your own, reading supplementary material as you go through them to make sure you know everything. Read your review books...then if you have time restream lectures. Simply restreaming lectures will help you do well on NYCOM exams but won't help you for the boards and you should honestly be able to pass NYCOM exams without attending OR streaming any lectures. You may miss some of the stupid giveaway questions that some lecturers put on there, (you know, the ones they say "focus on this, I think it's important), but you're not getting those questions on the boards. Make sure you know everything in First AID and the Kaplan review books and you'll be better off then wasting hours of your time restreaming lectures. IMO, lectures are a great way to help give you a bridge to do your own reading. A good lecturer helps define a number of general terms so that when you do your reading you can understand the texts.

to be honest with you, I could read all the required readings and studying from books (i.e. never referring back to a stream) and do WORSE on NYCOM's exams. The fact of the matter is that in order to do well on the particular system exams you need to study the nitty-gritty details stressed in lecture. A good example is all the recent clinical lectures as well as Dr. Plummer's pathology lectures. We do not have adequate foundation to understand what the lecturer is presenting (and often times the lecturer knows that). Thus, we must memorize what is being presented to us "know this, know that"
As for what Dr. Portanova has said, those "pearls" and "buzzwords" will not all be present in the readings, but they will be on the exam.

For the record, I am not here complaining about failing my tests, lousy professors, etc. I do very well on all my exams and yes, I rely on re-streaming lectures to pull out those little hints that aren't in the text. Someone has to get Friedman's questions right, eh? :p

In short, I feel the curriculum could very be well at fault. All the studying I am doing to ace the NYCOM tests should very well prove useful for the boards. When wasting time fishing out little percentages and other trivial details, I could very well be reading a textbook. So why not test us more on our reading and relevant basic sciences than those stupid details spoken in lecture. Then maybe we could kill two birds with one stone.

Dr. Portanova honestly makes a good point though. IMO, streaming isn't necessary, it's a bit of a luxury, and in a way, I think it may be detrimental for boards. It helps in the short term to pass NYCOM exams. Many lecturers give hints about test questions but if that's all you focus your studying on, it's not going to help you much for boards.

Try going through the slides on your own, reading supplementary material as you go through them to make sure you know everything. Read your review books...then if you have time restream lectures. Simply restreaming lectures will help you do well on NYCOM exams but won't help you for the boards and you should honestly be able to pass NYCOM exams without attending OR streaming any lectures. You may miss some of the stupid giveaway questions that some lecturers put on there, (you know, the ones they say "focus on this, I think it's important), but you're not getting those questions on the boards. Make sure you know everything in First AID and the Kaplan review books and you'll be better off then wasting hours of your time restreaming lectures. IMO, lectures are a great way to help give you a bridge to do your own reading. A good lecturer helps define a number of general terms so that when you do your reading you can understand the texts.
Littlephilly said it right.
I have tried reading books and reaserching the subject online.
we dont have the luxary to spend too much time on a subject and we have so many of them. Reading books will help us in boards but you know what for now I have to get to the board. with the new policy you can not fail anything or you will never get a chance to look at the board. It will actually sends you back to MCAT as supposed to COMPLEX / USMLE.

We need the streaming to pass the tests.
and that is not the way they can improve NYCOM's passing rate for COMLEX.

See, that's where I disagree, but you guys are hinting at it yourself. You're saying that you stream so that you can ace NYCOM's exams. Who cares if you honor an exam or simply pass it? Board scores matter most to residency programs. Now, if you feel you need to stream to pass exams, then that's a different story but I honestly don't feel that should be true for anyone. Yes, you may miss a few nit-picky questions, but you're better off NOT studying for those questions and spending your time trying to truly learn the vast amount of material.

Honestly, if you really feel like you need to stream something, either sign up for the class of 2010 threads (if you haven't already done so), and if for some reason they haven't blocked it out, make friends with a class of 2010 member for next year and log onto noodle under one of our names. NYCOM won't block access to noodle till graduation. 99% of the lectures are repeat lectures.

I'm just bothered by all this uproar because I personally would rather not have to worry about having my attendance taken. I can't count the number of days I've driven to school like Mario Andretti worried that I wasn't going to be there at 8:00, only to have attendance taken at 10:00. The whole attendance system was a little ridiculous, and the truth is, it's unfair that so many people were clicking in other people's clickers. I agree with the administration that that was cheating and they needed to do something about it. I'm just scared that with all this complaining, they're going to do something drastic because everyone's going to make them angry. I'm afraid they're going to make us sign into and out of classrooms. That will be even worse, because if you go to lecture, and the lecture is terrible, you won't even have the option of leaving. You guys will see, but next year, you'll be more concerned about boards than you will be about NYCOM's exams. I also heard something about them possibly integrating the practical exam grade as well which would be nice for you guys (although it won't affect us).

Anyway, sign up for class of 2010 threads on noodle in the meantime and enjoy not having to make it to class.

Anyway, sign up for class of 2010 threads on noodle in the meantime and enjoy not having to make it to class.

You know their still making us click in right? I don't know why but their recording it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i will just say (from experience) that studying for nycom exams and studying for step 1 are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

So if anyone noticed the e-mail, attendance is mandatory again. But we still lose streaming lectures if less than 80% of students are in attendance. Score!

hey, where's my OMM practical grade from... nearly two weeks ago?? :thumbdown:

Hey can anyone whos doing the DPC (PBL course) pm me or post their opinions of the track. Maybe a quick pro/cons? How do you think it is preparing you for the boards? With all this complaining about streaming/attendence...is it nice to not worry about that? Just any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

ps. I am currently deciding whether or not to apply for dpc for next year.

Thanks again

who's happy to be DONE with anatomy!!

:thumbup: :D :thumbup:

Wow, 40% of the [lecture-based] class "did not reach the level of competency required" for ICC?

Nice of them to A, broadcast the names to the entire class and B, not even release the scores first.

How hard is it to look at a piece of paper and do what it says? We didn't even have to illicit the actual reflex responses.

We have a spacious, sunny bedroom available in a 3 bedroom apartment in Glen Cove, an 8 minute drive to campus. The apartment has a fully equipped kitchen, and a large bathroom. Within walking distance to many restaurants and downtown Glen Cove. Plenty of on street parking available. Live with 2 current NYCOM students. Rent is $500 a month; internet, gas, and electric are shared. Water included in rent. If interested, please send a PM. Available immediately.

hey guys I was asked by pre-med if nycom ranks students... i am not sure...does anybody know the answer?

hey guys I was asked by pre-med if nycom ranks students... i am not sure...does anybody know the answer?

I was told that 1/4th of your rank comes from 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, COMLEX board scores. Then the class is divided by some unknown percentage without an actual rank # given out in Dean's letter. I dont think your percentage is given out either but comments like "highest recommendation". Not 100% sure on how the last part works.

yeah your deans letter will say you are "superior" or "outstanding" but program directors will get a key that shows them what each of those categories mean. like superior = top 5%. i dont think my numbers are exact but you get the gist.

hi everyone... does anyone know the priority deadline date for the FAFSA? i've been having trouble getting ahold of financial aid, and am in the process of doing my taxes right now. is it march 1st like other schools?

any help is appreciated - thanks!

hi everyone... does anyone know the priority deadline date for the FAFSA? i've been having trouble getting ahold of financial aid, and am in the process of doing my taxes right now. is it march 1st like other schools?

any help is appreciated - thanks!

i'm really not sure, i'm sorry. keep calling financial aid, leave messages... i hope they get back to you soon!

hematology/immunology is up on noodle. it looks like a pretty nice schedule - not too many long days and even days off.

buh bye neuro!

hematology/immunology is up on noodle. it looks like a pretty nice schedule - not too many long days and even days off.

buh bye neuro!

And it looks like Dr. Kumar is back! :cool: :horns:

buh bye neuro!

Neuro what?

Congrats on finishing Neuro guys!! Take Heme/Immuno seriously. While I personally thought neuro was the most difficult thread of my year and a half at NYCOM so far, many people disagree with me and say Immuno is. We lost quite a few people after our exam. Multiple exams will help you guys a lot in this system since its HUGE and we only had 1 test last year, but keep up with it!!

Congrats on finishing Neuro guys!! Take Heme/Immuno seriously. While I personally thought neuro was the most difficult thread of my year and a half at NYCOM so far, many people disagree with me and say Immuno is. We lost quite a few people after our exam. Multiple exams will help you guys a lot in this system since its HUGE and we only had 1 test last year, but keep up with it!!

Thanks for the advice Jason! can't believe how fast this year is flying by :)

How did everyone do on the exam...that was my worst test since test 1 part 1

How did everyone do on the exam...that was my worst test since test 1 part 1

I thought it was pretty fair. Neuro III on the whole was really run pretty clean. Thanks Dr. Spevak ;)

There was probably a bit more of the seizure stuff than I expected and definately alot more psychotherapy stuff too. I brushed that stuff off because I focused on the pharm.

The only question I disputed was the what to do with benzo OD...I selected do nothing as per Dr. Olsen, but the answer was Flumazenil. Oh well...I'll see what happens :)

I was also going to select the antidote, but in several places (powerpoint/textbook) it is sourced as being _usually_ unneccesary, a phrasing specifically employed by the question. clever. except not.

I thought it was pretty fair. Neuro III on the whole was really run pretty clean. Thanks Dr. Spevak ;)

There was probably a bit more of the seizure stuff than I expected and definately alot more psychotherapy stuff too. I brushed that stuff off because I focused on the pharm.

The only question I disputed was the what to do with benzo OD...I selected do nothing as per Dr. Olsen, but the answer was Flumazenil. Oh well...I'll see what happens :)

I wonder what happened to Dr. Witryol...
"And now a brief message from our sponsors..."
Farewell to one of our esteemed professors Dr. Walter Witryol, you will be sorely missed. A great lecturer who kept us entertained with his late 80's, early 90s pop culture, and a great doctor who practice the art of Osteopathic Manipulation. A true believer in the D.O. way, I wish him well in his future endeavors.

WitryolWalter.jpg

A brief summary of interesting things about Dr. Witryol on Google.

His certification
http://www.vitals.com/v/index.php?v=doctors/13030251535/Walter+Witryol+MD
Physiatrist, Osteopath
Male - Age 53 - 15 years experience

Walter Witryol, MD
is certified by the following ABMS® Member Board:
The American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Specialty Certification
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Certification expires June 30, 2014
The primary goal of the physiatrist is to achieve maximal restoration of physical, psychological, social and vocational function through comprehensive rehabilitation. Pain management is often an important part of the role of the physiatrist. For diagnosis and evaluation, a physiatrist may include the techniques of electromyography to supplement the standard history, physical, x-ray and laboratory examinations. The physiatrist has expertise in the appropriate use of therapeutic exercise, prosthetics (artificial limbs), orthotics and mechanical and electrical devices.

His Review of the book "Natural Drug free Nights"
http://www.amazon.com/Insomnia-Solution-Natural-Drug-Free-Nights/dp/product-description/0446693243
Walter Witryol, MD, Assistant Professor, University of North Texas Health Science Center
"This is the most practical and effective approach I have seen to promptly enhance the restorative functions of sleep."

His (partial) publication, "Body Awareness as Healing Therapy : The Case of Nora"
http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Walter+Witryol&z=y

We will miss you Dr. W.

Dr. Witroyl is a great professor. Like exogen said, he is true believer in OMM. I enjoyed most of his lectures and his subtle jokes. The way he organized the OMM exams and his lectures shows how much he cares for his students. He will be greatly missed.

the guy is not dead so no need ofr the obituary.
He was a great professor and I'm sure that he just clashed with the administration and decided that his OMM expertise would be more appreciated at another institution. He's not he first nor will he be the last good professor NYCOM loses due to some flaw in their judgement.

Thats why there are so many Nycom grads on staff.

I hope we dont lose Dr. Yao either.

Looks like OMM practical grades are up on guru ;)