******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The site was down because the power went out on campus, so the whole network shut down. It was only out for about 15 min though.

Not necessarily; it's possible the server noticed an increase in traffic, possibly even monitoring that many IP addresses not in the northeast were accessing the server and alerted the IT people at our school, who may have assumed the password leaked.

Both possible, but now I can only log in using my personal user name and password and not the generic one we were all given. The generic names seem to still work on the other pages though.

Members don't see this ad.

Both possible, but now I can only log in using my personal user name and password and not the generic one we were all given. The generic names seem to still work on the other pages though.
The plot thickens...

Still can't logon to the Movies Page (from student resources) using the old credentials. My personal ID/PWD doesn't work either, but there was a power outage again today so maybe the server's FUBAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still can't logon to the Movies Page (from student resources) using the old credentials. My personal ID/PWD doesn't work either, but there was a power outage again today so maybe the server's FUBAR.
I'm able to get in using my username/super secret number.

To the rescue!

I don't know about the super secret number, but my id works fine.
Mind pm-ing about "super secret number?" :D

oh... also, how do i do double speed for the lectures? Some prof. speak so slow.

Sooo spill the beans... what was the deal with the thing at the deans house, or elkowitz's house, or whoevers house it was where only some of you got invited??

Sooo spill the beans... what was the deal with the thing at the deans house, or elkowitz's house, or whoevers house it was where only some of you got invited??

Dr. Scandalis said it was an experimental program to introduce incoming first years to the staff and faculty. From what I gather, there were something like 40 people + friends/family invited. The class of 2012 should have more people invited.

i heard that it was the 40 geographically closest students to elkowitzs house or something like that... all of us distal people didnt get the invite

i heard that it was the 40 geographically closest students to elkowitzs house or something like that... all of us distal people didnt get the invite

Good use of anatomic terminology...you should do well on your quiz on Monday!

haha thanks... now if only anatomy was that easy

I don't know about the super secret number, but my id works fine.
Mind pm-ing about "super secret number?" :D

oh... also, how do i do double speed for the lectures? Some prof. speak so slow.
ID = super secret number. On our exams we have to bubble in "2006" followed by our ID for our super secret number. Yours will most likely be "2007" followed by your ID, but they'll tell you at the beginning of the examination.

Newer versions of windows media player have different playback speeds(View->enhancements->playback speed settings). You can also download and install the 2xAV plugin for realplayer or windows media player; the advantage here is that it can clearly play audio at up to 2.5x. Windows media player starts skipping at anything over 2.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
ID = super secret number. On our exams we have to bubble in "2006" followed by our ID for our super secret number. Yours will most likely be "2007" followed by your ID, but they'll tell you at the beginning of the examination.

Newer versions of windows media player have different playback speeds(View->enhancements->playback speed settings). You can also download and install the 2xAV plugin for realplayer or windows media player; the advantage here is that it can clearly play audio at up to 2.5x. Windows media player starts skipping at anything over 2.0.

Gotcha. Thanks a lot.

I don't know, I can't login using my name/id #

I don't know, I can't login using my name/id #

It's not your name. You have to use your letters from the email address without "@nyit.edu" part.

How's the studying coming everyone?

How's the studying coming everyone?

Pretty good :) I am procrastinatng in the library on the 2nd floor right now.

Other than that...It's fun streaming lectures at 2x speed :laugh:

the stuff with covered in anatomy lab isnt on the quiz right...just the anatomy lectures we had with hill right

I'm studying it all just in case there's some overlap

Don't worry to much abotu the quiz. I'm sure everyone will do fine.

did noodle just die out on anyone else? i was logged in, had streamed a few lectures and now it won't connect anymore.

yea, i cant get on either

total bummer. i rode my bike to a friends house with wireless (we aren't getting ours till monday) to download the powerpoints and pdf files. and now noodle is down. awesome!

total bummer. i rode my bike to a friends house with wireless (we aren't getting ours till monday) to download the powerpoints and pdf files. and now noodle is down. awesome!

Hey guys...i was just in the library about an hour ago. There was another power outtage that hit the campus right around 5:10ish. I am hoping noodle is back up this evening.

I hope so too, I really would like to restream that protein lecture today.

the stuff that kumar didnt get to, are you guys studying that for the quiz?

Is this question of those things that as a med student i should just know and just study it? haha

didn't he say at his next lecture he would pick that stuff up again and to bring the notes? if i heard correctly, i would assume that the stuff he didn't get to isn't on the quiz. at least, i hope.

one of my friends had asked Kumar and he said he will try not to put anything he didn't cover on the quiz but there me be one question. I assume the same with Dr. Hill and the segmentation packet. We did not get to the muscles of the back and I only had 1 anatomy lab this week.

Was streaming since Friday - left the page open and had no problems all day yesterday. Then this morning, just now, wham.....can't get back on the movies page?? :scared: :eek: :confused: Did they do this on purpose to prove to us we need to study ahead of time or something? Listen, if that's true, that's twisted!! :mad: In any case. I hope it comes back up soon. Gotta finish streaming Kumar's lecture -- and its a doozie! Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. :thumbup:

Ding-Dang-Darn It!!!! Noodle is down too.....I need a drink!! Guess I'll review what I've covered thus far and perhaps go back through Physiology. Hope the movie site and/or noodle come back up real soon!!!:scared::scared::scared:

Ding-Dang-Darn It!!!! Noodle is down too.....I need a drink!! Guess I'll review what I've covered thus far and perhaps go back through Physiology. Hope the movie site and/or noodle come back up real soon!!!:scared::scared::scared:

Power is still out on campus since last night, so the server is down. Study the power points really well and do some reading, you'll be ok. Good luck!!

For those of you who didn't hear there was a small fire on campus on the 13th which burnt through the power cords or something so all of these outages are most likely from them repairing it. Its not uncommon for noodle to go down for an hour or so every other month, but its normally not this bad.

Didn't hear about that, but I guess it's an explanation. Because this is ridiculous ... and about studying ahead of time, how much further in advance could we have studied? We just started last week! :(

why cant they just call it noodle? where did the moodle come from?

okay, so question, i was wondering if someone can help. Im trying to do those calculations after the buffers stuff in stepp's lecture, but im having trouble with problem 7, with the ionizable groups in alpha ketoglutarate?

also, number 12....if anyone gets the time, thanks

why cant they just call it noodle? where did the moodle come from?

okay, so question, i was wondering if someone can help. Im trying to do those calculations after the buffers stuff in stepp's lecture, but im having trouble with problem 7, with the ionizable groups in alpha ketoglutarate?

also, number 12....if anyone gets the time, thanks

1. Two ionizable groups (the COOHs)

2. 75% comes from a ratio. So, the ratio that gives you that is 3/4. Therefore, A- = 3 and 1+A-/HA = 4. The set up is: pH = 6.80 + log(3). That gives you 7.28

ps- just another tip..when you get to Neuro, whatever you do, DONT BUY Barr's Human Nervous System, Its a complete waste of money/time...i bought it (and so did many others) thinking it would help me get through the monstrocity that is neurology, but it definitely just made things worse.
another other questions feel free to ask

I agree but I did use a few chapters from that book for the confusing lectures by Friedman (papez circuit lecture) and the book was very decent for that. I found an excellent website that described the Dopamine pathways in Parkinsons and other diseases that she spent A LOT of time on. I will post a link when you folks start neuro.

borrow the reserved copy and xerox it or take notes. The Blumenfeld book is better.

Does anyone know how we can access dynamed? If someone could post a link and where we're supposed to get our login info from i'd really appreciate it.

Good luck folks. Try to get most of your streaming done by the Friday before exams because even if the server is up the streams get limited to 1x if there is a lot of people on. This is especially true when 1st and 2nd years have exams.

If you are an all-nighter type of person you may find better streams midnight-8am.

One thing you can do for choppy streams is to let the video run and walk away from it and come back whe it is done. the buffer or something will provide a smooth stream. I'm not a full blown computer nerd so I'm not sure how it works.

I'm not checking noodle or AT still site so can't comment on that but when you are stream make sure you have the proper settings:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was having problems with speeding up the streams in some lectures. The problem was I had my player set at the default "allow windows media player to detect your connection speed". I stream from my laptop wireless connection to my wireless router. Anything under 1MBs does not allow stream speeding and I figure my laptop connection fluctuates around 1MBs:

from a website I found:

http://video.technion.ac.il/Setup/help-faq.html#Q3

In order to change playback speed you will need :

Windows media Player 9 (or higher) running on Windows-XP !
A connection faster then 1Mb/s ! (could be a prob on your end or NYCOM server capping streaming)
Start playing a video in Windows media Player 9 (XP)
then SELECT : View > Enhancements > Play Speed Settings
In the Enhancements pane , move the Play Speed slider to the speed at which you want to play the content,
or click the Slow, Normal, or Fast link.
Important : The Valid speed range is marked with a GREEN Line

If you Don't see any green line it means you can NOT use this Feature
In case you don't see the Green Line, You can try to change the player settings as follows :
SELECT : Tools > Options > Performance > Choose connection speed: > LAN (10 Mbs or more)
Press OK
CLOSE the player , START it Again & Check .

FYI...if anyone was planning on going to NYCOM to study today don't bother. The school is EMPTY and there is not a single building w/ open doors or lights on. Wasted an hour of my day for nothing. And the fact that we shouldn't stream last minute is great and all, but I wanted to review some of the slides since they are way too small to read on the print outs they give us and now that's out the window as well. Good Luck studying

FYI...if anyone was planning on going to NYCOM to study today don't bother. The school is EMPTY and there is not a single building w/ open doors or lights on. Wasted an hour of my day for nothing. And the fact that we shouldn't stream last minute is great and all, but I wanted to review some of the slides since they are way too small to read on the print outs they give us and now that's out the window as well. Good Luck studying

I assume you mean powerpoint slides. Check out the AT Still site. It is still up as of now. Sometimes the notes do not change year to year.

http://iris.nyit.edu/still/

I feel bad for you guys.

I assume you mean powerpoint slides. Check out the AT Still site. It is still up as of now. Sometimes the notes do not change year to year.

http://iris.nyit.edu/still/

I feel bad for you guys.

If the username and password are some generic thing for the class could you please PM me with it? Because I can't seem to get in with my personal info. I just need Kmars protein slides and the last anatomy lecture.

so in kumar's lecture, i definately was like hmm, this is kinda hard to understand, but i figured it was because i coudltn understand some of teh words he was saying...

his notes are so much more confusing than the textbook, isnt it supposed to be the other way around?? lol

sorry, just taking my 3 minute and 30 second break

If the username and password are some generic thing for the class could you please PM me with it? Because I can't seem to get in with my personal info. I just need Kmars protein slides and the last anatomy lecture.

same for me...if any one could pm me that would be great.
thanks

noodle is back on....

Yep, both the movie site and noodle are back up....studying on my own with just the readings sucks. I like watching the video and reviewing the material that way. Yes, the reading should support the lecture but, not always, I have found. Anyway, glad the streaming is back up. Good luck all.....:thumbup:

Is there a way to view the old exams/quizzes from the c/o 2010?

Register for our classes from last year, the tests are at the bottom. There are also test from the class of 2009 on the still site. We didn't have quizzes, so you won't find any of those. Sorry.