NYCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah that's how I interpreted the handout they gave us. It's not a fixed increase on tuition, it is just showing you that tuition (and insurance) will increase every year. I think the 7%/10% rates they used are on the high side, but they just want you to know what you are getting into.

The more realistic number is in the 3-4% increase range but they are telling you worst case senario percentage increase that can occur.
Good Luck with Interviews!!:luck::luck:

Got to get back studying Opioids, Morphine, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

The more realistic number is in the 3-4% increase range but they are telling you worst case senario percentage increase that can occur.
Good Luck with Interviews!!:luck::luck:

Got to get back studying Opioids, Morphine, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, etc...

I hate that lecture :p :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard back yet? or know when were supposed to hear back?

has anyone heard back yet? or know when were supposed to hear back?

Last year I heard back the next week. I interviewed on a Tuesday and heard back on the following Thursday. For most applicants it is roughly a little over a week. Holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas will slow the responce time down.

Hang in there guys. NYCOM has a 50% acceptance rate after an interview. That is a lot higher then most schools. If you are interviewed and didn't mess it up I am sure you will make it.

50% is pretty good. I know that NYCOM favors NY residents. Do you know if the acceptance is higher for in state applicants?

i just got an interview to NYCOM. i really dont know too much about the school yet. anyone caer to take a stab and compare it to kcumb for me (which is my current choice)?

Im looking forward to learn more about the school id like to hear if anyone has any comparisons between the quality of these 2 schools.

I thought the post-interview acceptance rate was much higher for most schoools

2005dostatsqw8.jpg

50% is actually pretty low if these numbers are right... I think they are a year or two old, from US News...

I was including MD schools as well as DO schools. The numbers are old because NYCOM had approx. 3800+ applicants based on AACOM publication 2008.

Yes I'm seeing 77% here, and 50% would be pretty low.

Also I'm interviewing so I'm trying to complete some numbers here

I need % First Choice Res, and % match rate

Information I also have just in case anyone cares.

GPA 3.5
MCAT 25.8
Grading P/F
Comlex P 97%/89%
% Primary C 45%
Class size 270
Attendance Y
ECurriculum Y

Also if anyone had any evidence of the match list it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys interviewed at NYCOM in November, I don't think you need to worry about the committee's decision! :welcome:

Good luck anyway, I know the waiting sucks!

If you guys interviewed at NYCOM in November, I don't think you need to worry about the committee's decision! :welcome:

Good luck anyway, I know the waiting sucks!

please elaborate on what you mean by that? are you implying that there is a strong correlation between early interview and acceptance at NYCOM (perhaps for in staters?).

i have an interview there on 12/11/07 and am wondering if the same would apply?

please elaborate on what you mean by that? are you implying that there is a strong correlation between early interview and acceptance at NYCOM (perhaps for in staters?).

The rumor goes that the 1st 2 weeks of interviews are people (all instate) who were accepted already and the interview is just a formality. I don't know if this is true, or if it is just a rumor. I interviewed in the 1st 2 weeks, and most of the people who interviewed with me are current students, so it could be, but it's not definite by any means!

Anyone get an interview invite recently? If so, approx when was your interview scheduled for?

Thanks

I would say yes. This is all hear-say though and just remembering who we interviewed with and now seeing them in class. None of us on here have any connections with the admissions people or know the exact statistics, but I think those of us who go there are pretty reliable sources! I interviewed in the end of January, there are only 3 people I can remember seeing there who are not a part of my class- 1 kid went to Touro-Cali, 1 girl was from Canada and one was from North Carolina. I don't know what happened to those 2 girls, but the guy chose Touro in Cali. I can specifically remember 8 people who I interviewed with that day who are all part of my class. I don't remember the number though of how many people were there total.

November, December, and probably even the beginning of January- if you interview then I think it would be unlikely that you would not be accepted!

The rumor goes that the 1st 2 weeks of interviews are people (all instate) who were accepted already and the interview is just a formality. I don't know if this is true, or if it is just a rumor. I interviewed in the 1st 2 weeks, and most of the people who interviewed with me are current students, so it could be, but it's not definite by any means!

I've heard this rumor too, but I think you were the one who told it to me last year!!

Has anyone ever heard of anyone who interviewed at NYCOM and has been rejected? I haven't. I heard of people being waitlisted (I was one of them), but I have not heard of or read about any post-interview rejections on this site, and I've been on here almost daily now for almost 2 years.

I set my interview up very recently and am scheduled for January.

I set my interview up very recently and am scheduled for January.

Congrats on the invite!!! Stay calm, be confident and most importantly be yourself. GOOD LUCK on the interview!!!:luck::luck::luck:

hey

how long after the interview do they inform you with their decision

and how much time do you have before you pay the tuition deposite

thanks

hey

how long after the interview do they inform you with their decision

and how much time do you have before you pay the tuition deposite

thanks

If you are accepted they usually inform you by the next week unless there are holidays which will slow down the schools responce time. I think it depends what point in the cycle you are accepted. Early on I think they give you a month, after January they only give you two weeks (that was when I was accepted and had to put down a $1500 deposit) , after may or june you may only have 48 hours (I am not really sure about that maybe someone else knows).

thanks
my interview is on Dec 5th
Maybe I will here before christmas, but hopefully they give me a month to make up my mind
I am looking at other schools
I would like to nycom, but its very expensive, :(

thanks
my interview is on Dec 5th
Maybe I will here before christmas, but hopefully they give me a month to make up my mind
I am looking at other schools
I would like to nycom, but its very expensive :(

yep, i agree.. that's the only drawback - that it's expensive. other than that, i'd really like to go here.

yep, i agree.. that's the only drawback - that it's expensive. other than that, i'd really like to go here.

Yes the school is on the expensive side and you take out loans to pay for it. Eventhough I will be 65 and still paying back my loans (J/K), all the other factors considered, it was a great fit for me. It boiled down to the school that accepted me and would provide me with the best education, in an environment where I would feel comfortable. Some times you need to pay more for comfort.

Ahhh, I have my interview Tuesday. I've interviewed at 2 other schools so far, but I was freaking out about those for weeks before and went into them very prepared. I just don't feel prepared for what type of questions NYCOM tends to ask. Any words of wisdom?:scared:

Ahhh, I have my interview Tuesday. I've interviewed at 2 other schools so far, but I was freaking out about those for weeks before and went into them very prepared. I just don't feel prepared for what type of questions NYCOM tends to ask. Any words of wisdom?:scared:

Check out the interview feedback on here and (although cliche) be yourself. :thumbup:

hi guys
my interview is coming up soon, Wednesday Dec 5th

i checked the interview feedback..

but for those who interviewed, what kind of questions did you ask?

thanks

I went to NY this last weekend and decided to go check out NYCOM.
OMG!!! It was so beautiful -- all the trees and what not. I got REALLY excited about going there cuz I have an interview in January BUT my husband and I drove around to find places to live... There were no apartments nearby! :eek:
I looked up rentals online and they were all really expensive and a considerable distance from the school. Now I'm considering canceling my interview (I come all the way from CA so it's kinda a long expensive trip that I rather not make if I'm hesitant about going there..)

HELP! Where do students (on a budget) live? :confused:

OMG!!! It was so beautiful -- all the trees and what not. I got REALLY excited about going there cuz I have an interview in January BUT my husband and I drove around to find places to live... There were no apartments nearby! :eek:
I looked up rentals online and they were all really expensive and a considerable distance from the school. Now I'm considering canceling my interview (I come all the way from CA so it's kinda a long expensive trip that I rather not make if I'm hesitant about going there..)

Look up things in Glen Cove, Sea Cliff, Westbury, Hicksville and Port Washington.

There are very few affordable apartment complexes if that is what you're looking for. (People live in Avalon, and Glen Arms, which you can find online, depending on your budget). Most people live in privately owned homes, either duplexes, or they rent out a whole house and have roommates. If you're looking for something with your husband, you can find a 1-2 BR for ~$1000, sometimes less if you look around. Many places are only advertised to the medical students. Once you've gotten an acceptance, they should give you access to the webboard, where they post tons of apts. Good places to look are Glen Cove/Glen Head, Bayville, Sea Cliff, Westbury, Hicksville, Mineola. If you don't mind a commute, a lot of people also live in queens, which is more affordable. Do searches for NYCOM on here, many people have discussed this, and can go into more detail than I have time for at the moment (test on Monday). Good luck! Just to let u know, I live purely off grad plus, and I don't nearly use everything I take out (but i like to keep the buffer in case of an emergency).

PM me if you have more questions.

Accepted to NYCOM..class of 2008 (i mean 2012 lol)!!! YAY!

Interviewed on Nov 8th. I dont see the date by which we need to mail in $1500. Anyone have any information on this?

Accepted to NYCOM..class of 2008!!! YAY!

Interviewed on Nov 8th. I dont see the date by which we need to mail in $1500. Anyone have any information on this?

you mean class of 2012 ;)

congrats!! :thumbup:

did it take them so long to get back to you? I heard that nycom gets back to you within a week?

did it take them so long to get back to you? I heard that nycom gets back to you within a week?

This early on I imagine it only takes a few weeks. I found out last year after 8 weeks :laugh: and I was waitlisted to boot ;)

This early on I imagine it only takes a few weeks. I found out last year after 8 weeks :laugh: and I was waitlisted to boot ;)

does nycom specify waitlist priority, like high, medium or low? when did you receive a spot after being waitlisted? did you send a letter of intent or interest? were you in state to begin with?

sorry for the questions bonanza... im interviewing there 12/11

does nycom specify waitlist priority, like high, medium or low? when did you receive a spot after being waitlisted? did you send a letter of intent or interest? were you in state to begin with?

sorry for the questions bonanza... im interviewing there 12/11

As far as I know, the waitlist is weighted, but the admissions office will never tell you what your spot is. I interviewed on the last day of last year (mar 27th) and found out I was waitlisted 8 weeks later. I was accepted on July 3rd. I am instate. I sent in a LOI. Hope this helps! NYCOM is a great school, congrats for those who were accepted :)

gathering from your other thread i assume you chose kcumb?

I don't know, I just paid the reservation deposit of $1000 to KCUMB, not the matriculation fee of $1000(due in march).

So I don't know as of yet, if I go to nycom I don't have to worry about living far away from my support system, which is my family. I lived on long island ever since I was a kid, I don't know if I want to move now.

But KCUMB has good residency matching and the school is cheaper than nycom.

I guess I am still deciding. Both are good choices hahahaha.

I don't know that I'd have the balls to eat a $1000 deposit. You really can't go wrong with either school.

I don't know, I just paid the reservation deposit of $1000 to KCUMB, not the matriculation fee of $1000(due in march).

So I don't know as of yet, if I go to nycom I don't have to worry about living far away from my support system, which is my family. I lived on long island ever since I was a kid, I don't know if I want to move now.

But KCUMB has good residency matching and the school is cheaper than nycom.

I guess I am still deciding. Both are good choices hahahaha.

I am of two thoughts on this. On one hand, people say you should have a solid support system to fall back on during the tough times. I can't even begin to describe how refreshing and re-invigorating it is to have my close friends and family near me when I need to get away from med school entirely.

On the other hand, you'll be spending an ungodly amount of time on campus and with classmates so you'll make A LOT of new close friends very very quickly :laugh:.

At any rate, Texastriathlete is right, both are great schools and you can't go wrong either way.

PS: NYCOM RULES!! :laugh::thumbup:

I don't know that I'd have the balls to eat a $1000 deposit. You really can't go wrong with either school.

haha, if it was my money that I was spending I would have given it a second thought too man. :laugh:

Parents insisting on paying your deposits, education (loans maybe?), room , board= $$$ cha ching. :D:thumbup: